Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How the hell did MALEVOLENCE get good reviews?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-05, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

I just watched this movie on DVD and have to say that it is one of the biggest piles of steaming turd that I have seen in awhile. I'm stunned that the DVD talk reviewer gave this low-budget turkey four stars. Half a star is too much.

The movie has a promising first few minutes which made me think I was going to see a really gritty, take-no-prisoners horror/slasher flick. But, after a very dull next half hour, the movie turns into a shameless ripoff of HALLOWEEN, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, FRIDAY THE 13TH, etc. It even "borrows" the ironic twist end of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.

The director resorts to one cliche scene after another (A woman looks out a window at the killer lying unconscious on the ground. A few seconds later she looks out the window and -- surprise! -- he's gone!). This is one of those horror flicks where you can tell which characters will survive till the end -- not because they are played by the "name" stars, but because the writer goes to idiotic lengths to "help" these characters escape from one potentially lethal encounter after another.

The lead actors and the dialogue are, for the most part, awful, and the whole thing has an overly clean made-for-TV look to it.

The story is also riddled with one illogical or just plain stupid scene after another. For instance:

Spoiler:
The killer attacks one woman and stabs her about twenty times until she's dead. Later on, he attacks a guy, stabs him once and leaves him lying there. Of course, the guy survives and shows up later to save the life of another woman. Gee, how convenient.

There are a numerous shots of a stone-faced cop driving in his car throughout the film. Gee, I wonder if he's going to somehow show up in the nick of time to save the day?

The movie's surprise twist is that the killer is actually the kid we saw at the beginning of the film, not the guy we saw murdering a woman. Wow! It would take M Night Shymalan two seconds to come up with a more surprising twist. Actually, this film even rips off SIGNS and its "swing away" twist as a little girl uses her baseball skills to knock out the killer with her bat.

Then the movie spends a gawdawful amount of time at the end trying to explain the whole background of the killer in a way that makes the much maligned ending of Hitchcock's PSYCHO seem positively brilliant in comparison. And just when you think you can at least congratulate the filmmaker for not resorting to that most tiresome of cliches -- the dream sequence -- the muthaf'er throws one in at the last second!

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 06-16-05 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-16-05, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Count me in as another reviewer who really liked Malevolence.
Old 06-16-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sure, it's derivative of the 1970s/1980s slashers, but for some reason, I thought it was a descent little movie. I rent tons of direct-to-rental horror movies and this one is definitely better than most and better than the recent "Amityville Horror" and "House of Wax" remakes.
Old 06-16-05, 09:37 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was amateurish garbage. How this ended up in theaters, I don't want to know...
Old 06-16-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Yep, the movie was a complete disaster. I have no idea how it received such good reviews.

"oh it reminds of Holloween & Chainsaw and the music was a nice touch" give me a damn break. Between the acting, the music, and the lack of any intensity, It was embarrasing to watch this piece of garbage.
Old 06-16-05, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halloween-hillbilly style

That's what I thought of the movie. I hate this film so much, but I think my hatred stems from the fact that Halloween is my favorite horror movie. There is a thin line between paying homage to a film and ripping a film off and Malevolance, in my opinion, rips Halloween off.
Old 06-16-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagheenanajar
Halloween-hillbilly style

That's what I thought of the movie. I hate this film so much, but I think my hatred stems from the fact that Halloween is my favorite horror movie. There is a thin line between paying homage to a film and ripping a film off and Malevolance, in my opinion, rips Halloween off.
Off topic: Your username is f'n hilarious