Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

"Firefly" has been picked up by the Sci Fi Channel...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.scifi.com/events/event.php3?event_id=11282

They'll be playing the old episodes (including the unaired ones) up until the release of Serenity. Great news for Joss Whedon fans!!

EDIT: Oops...jumped the gun a bit and misread the news release. Looks like the unaired ones ARE the "new" ones. Here's hoping it does well enough that they DO make some new ones. Though I imagine Fox has some sort of lock on that.

Last edited by hahn; 06-16-05 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-16-05, 01:09 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by hahn
http://www.scifi.com/events/event.php3?event_id=11282

They'll be playing the old episodes (including the unaired ones) up until the release of Serenity. And then they picked it up for new shows as well. Great news for Joss Whedon fans!!
good news! however, i don't see the confirmation for it being picked up for new episodes. is this elsewher?
Old 06-16-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't tease us by saying the series will continue without a proper link!
Old 06-16-05, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And the award for the biggest cock tease of the year goes to...
Old 06-16-05, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
This really should help bringing folks up to date to the story before the film. But I wouldn't be hoping for any ongoing series anytime soon. Atleast not till Universal sees some box office numbers
Old 06-16-05, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can always hope. And maybe if the losers at fox had not aired the shows out of order, it would still be on.
Old 06-16-05, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard about this earlier, so I knew there would be no new episodes, but it doesn't make it hurt any less
Old 06-16-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sci-Fi only has the rights to air the episodes. That's it. The plan is to air all 14 episodes before the release of Serenity in September.

As I mentioned in the Serenity thread: there's a bigger chance that a busload of supermodels will come to my house and fuck me before we ever see new episodes of Firefly. The television show has been over and done with. If Serenity does well, we will get movie sequels, not a continuation of the series.
Old 06-16-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Sci-Fi only has the rights to air the episodes. That's it. The plan is to air all 14 episodes before the release of Serenity in September.

As I mentioned in the Serenity thread: there's a bigger chance that a busload of supermodels will come to my house and fuck me before we ever see new episodes of Firefly. The television show has been over and done with. If Serenity does well, we will get movie sequels, not a continuation of the series.
Considering the way this franchise absolutely refuses to die, I'd keep a bottle of lube on hand just in case.
Old 06-16-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What else are the actors doing? Why couldn't it be picked up for a new series? Did we ever think Battlestar Galactica would kick ass in a new series? I recall reading post after post after post pre-BG about how much that series would suck and never work, and now it's the golden child of the Sci-Fi network.

I hope the movie performs well. I am not sure how huge the fan base is that has followed the show from it's days on Fox and how many more fans it has gained on DVD, but I do know that when I saw the trailer last night at Batman Begins and they put on the screen "From Joss Whedon creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel" there was a group of guys sitting behind me commenting that they were interested but now they weren't. I think for the majority of movie goers this is a new thing, not the continuation of a cancelled potential franchise. This movie, for the most part, will have to stand on it's own to be successful.
Old 06-16-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
What else are the actors doing? Why couldn't it be picked up for a new series? Did we ever think Battlestar Galactica would kick ass in a new series? I recall reading post after post after post pre-BG about how much that series would suck and never work, and now it's the golden child of the Sci-Fi network.
1. Nathan Fillion is currently acting in films.
2. Gina Torres is going to be a regular on the new show Soccer Moms.
3. Alan Tudyk is currently on Broadway.
4. Morena Baccarin is available.
5. Adam Baldwin is currently on FOX's The Inside and will be unemployed when FOX cancels it shortly.
6. Jewel Staite still hops around doing multiple television and film apperances.
7. Sean Maher is available.
8. Summer Glau is on The 4400 on USA.
9. Ron Glass is available.
Old 06-16-05, 12:48 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
4. Morena Baccarin is available.
6. Jewel Staite still hops around doing multiple television and film apperances.
Uhh, both are not available. Currently they are locked up in my basement...
Old 06-16-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Soccer Moms was not picked up
Old 06-16-05, 01:06 PM

Details

From Variety
'Firefly' spreading wings
Sci Fi snatches up Whedon's canceled Fox show

By JOHN DEMPSEY

'Firefly' has produced its own glow in ancillary markets.

For a busted TV series that the Fox Network canceled back in December 2002 after only 11 episodes, JossWhedon's "Firefly" is building up quite a profile in ancillary markets.

The Sci Fi Channel has bought exclusive cable rights to "Firefly" from Twentieth TV for a total license fee of about $450,000 in a deal that includes three episodes Fox never ran.

The cable sale arrives a year after Universal Pictures signed a deal to produce "Serenity," a theatrical movie version of "Firefly," to be written and directed by Whedon. (Serenity is the name of the spaceship on the show.) Universal plans to put "Serenity" in theaters in September.

Beginning July 22, Sci Fi will air reruns of "Firefly" in the high-visibility Friday at 7 p.m. timeslot, which leads into the net's successful block of scripted series: "Stargate SG-1," "Stargate Atlantis" and "Battlestar Galactica."

Whedon was co-exec producer of "Firefly" with Tim Minear. Gareth Davies was producer.

Date in print: Wed., Jun. 15, 2005, Los Angeles
So nothing specific about new episodes. $450K seems kinda low. That's $30K an hour. New episodes would be >$1M per hour to produce.
Old 06-16-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No excuses now for people to not watch this wonderful show... well, unless you aren't a fan of sci-fi and don't have cable. And with Star Wars and Star Trek pretty much out of the picture, SERENITY should do pretty well in filling that sci-fi fix.
Old 06-16-05, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by darqleo
No excuses now for people to not watch this wonderful show... well, unless you aren't a fan of sci-fi and don't have cable. And with Star Wars and Star Trek pretty much out of the picture, SERENITY should do pretty well in filling that sci-fi fix.
Except that Friday at 7 is kinda early. They should also run it later on Tuesday with the Stargate/BSG rerun.
Old 06-16-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you want to pick out which ones or should I?

Fox had cancelled Family Guy and it was off for a while and now it's back on. We can say it may not be likely but possible?
Old 06-16-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darqleo
I have an excuse, well two really. I own the set on DVD and I don’t have cable, I have satellite.

This Firefly movie will be the first movie I will go pay and see in the past 3 years. I normally wait for the DVD release, but this movie is pulling me.
Old 06-16-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by elektra
Did you want to pick out which ones or should I?

Fox had cancelled Family Guy and it was off for a while and now it's back on. We can say it may not be likely but possible?
difference is that Family Guy is a marketing jack pot. Fox can really do no wrong by keeping it on the air in merchindise money alone. The amount they get for license rights on the show makes it worth bringing back. Firefly doesn't have the same appeal and wont be on every hot topic t-shirt with some witty catch phrase by a character on the show.
Old 06-16-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good points. Hey - Jack - look over there - boobies!!!!
Old 06-16-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
OMG! An Elektra sighting!
Old 06-16-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Paaaaatmaaaaan!!!! Yo, dude! How about a hug?
Old 06-18-05, 11:34 AM

Sci-Fi only has the rights to air the episodes. That's it. The plan is to air all 14 episodes before the release of Serenity in September..
it's 15 episodes, i'm sure.
Old 06-18-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadowself
it's 15 episodes, i'm sure.
Firefly consists of 1 90-minute pilot and 13 45-minute episodes.

But great way to count nevertheless.

And nobody knows yet if Sci-Fi is splitting the pilot into two episodes or keeping it at it's original length.
Old 06-18-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by elektra
Good points. Hey - Jack - look over there - boobies!!!!

I'll be in my bunk.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.