Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is/was there a correct OAR & Language DVD of De Sica's "Two Women"?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-05, 02:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got this in the mail from blockbuster.com the other day and I was about to watch it and noticed that it was dubbed in english. I checked imdb.com and it's listed as a 2.35:1 ratio and the original language of Italian. The version I had seemed to be 1.66:1, needless to say I'm upset at this and I checked dvdempire to see if there is a correct versoin and all said 1.33:1 as the ratios for them which is obviously wrong because the one at blockbuster.com isn't, even though dvdempire says it is.

Since dvdempire isn't the best source for old dvds I'm just curious if there is a correct version of this movie out there? I've been trying to rent all of De Sica's films but the fact I ran into this problem leads me to believe the other ones didn't get a nice treatment either.
Old 06-13-05, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to DVD Beaver, 1.78:1 is the correct aspect ratio and Italian is the original language. Below is a link comparing one of the bad R1 public domain releases with the R2 Italian (unfortunately, that disc does not contain English subtitles.)

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/twowomen.htm
Old 06-13-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the first DVDs I ever bought was the Madacy release of this. Nearly 2000 DVDs later it still remains the worst transfer of anything I have ever seen, and 5 years later a decent release for non-Italian speaking viewers still eludes us.*

Maybe someday .....
Old 06-13-05, 03:02 PM
Banned

The worst part is that Delta put the DVD out that I received and at one point during the brief 2 minutes I had it on before I stopped it, the word "Delta" was put in the lower right hand corner over the image, similiar to how FOX has their logo. I couldn't believe what I was seeing!
Old 06-14-05, 10:32 PM

I also bought the dubbed version by mistake. The original Italian is much better.
Old 06-15-05, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks to hear this. I just watched my first De Sica film today, "Umberto D." and enjoyed it quite a bit. Guess I'll be waiting for a better release of this, perhaps one by a company we do not speak of?