Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Any recent punk albums/bands worth checking out?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-13-05, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I have a giant collection of punk albums from the 70s through late 90s but I haven't bought many new albums for a while now. My most recent purchases have been the last NOFX and Bad Religion albums. I never imagined that I would grow out of touch with my favorite genre of music. I'm thinking that I need to reconnect a bit.

So what's cool with all the kids nowadays? Are there any up-and-coming bands that I should check out? Have any veteran punk outfits released anything worthy in the last couple of years?

Or, is punk finally dead?
Old 06-13-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Depending on how 'punk' you think it is, I'm a big fan of Dropkick Murphys. They have a fun, sing-along type of punk. Sing Loud, Sing Proud is probably the one with the most hits.
Old 06-13-05, 02:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely Fallout boy and Hawthorne Heights. If you can consider them punk.
Old 06-13-05, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

New punk albums? Ugh, not much. I miss the early to mid 90s punk that was all over SoCal. Dropkick is great, as in Strung Out, Thrice. Still, if you wanna talk older punk, I'm down.
Old 06-13-05, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I usually just go back and try to find older punk albums I missed somehow. Get the Saints debut album if you don't have that. Newer bands haven't done much for me, but I did like the Transplants debut.
Old 06-13-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill second Thrice, and add Billy Talent.
Old 06-13-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

not unless we're talking re-releases or something like that
Old 06-13-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MovieMaster11
Definitely Fallout boy and Hawthorne Heights. If you can consider them punk.
fall out boy owns all
Old 06-13-05, 11:48 AM

Not really punk per se, but as others have mentioned, Thrice's latest is a great album. More of emo/metal/core hybrid sort of thing than punk, but none the less great effort. As far as new punk music in the traditional vein, can't say I've heard a lot to recommend. American Idiot by Green Day is a great album as well. If you aren't already well versed in classic Misfits, Ramones, Decendents, DK, DRI, etc.. there's a lot of material to pull from.
Old 06-13-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dillinger Four
Candy Snatchers
Old 06-13-05, 12:50 PM

I think Against Me! is a really good band. They've been around a bit but the last few Bouncing Souls records have been good.
Old 06-13-05, 03:55 PM

Love the Bouncing Souls. Flogging Molly is cool too. I don't know, not much out there lately that has catched my attention. "New" bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Thrice, they're friggin' rule, but I wouldn't categorize them as punk at all.

I miss face to face.
Old 06-13-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm much more into the old punk like the Ramones and the Clash, but recently I have liked Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, and the Supersuckers (if they can be called punk). I also like the American Idiot album though some may consider Green Day commercial now.
Old 06-13-05, 06:38 PM
Banned

No.
Old 06-13-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dropkick actually has a new album coming out this month -- you can listen to 30 sec samples of every song on Amazon.

I'm a big fan of Taking Back Sunday.
Old 06-13-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
I'm much more into the old punk like the Ramones and the Clash, but recently I have liked Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, and the Supersuckers (if they can be called punk). I also like the American Idiot album though some may consider Green Day commercial now.
Supersuckers I would say is a type of RAWK like Hellacopters or whatever mostly Gearhead releases which is like garagepunk with a metal influence. I also like that some may consider Green Day commercial now even though their past albums went platnium and I would say that Floggin Molly and Dropkick Murphies are commercial enough with albums soundscanning over 200,000 copies.

This thread is lame, pick up a copy of Maximum Rock N Roll from your newstands if you want to hear some good new punk rock. They cover hardcore, garage (past two years, a stronger focus on this), pop, art, but they have been covering less Street punk now that it comes to mind. I remember 5 years ago when I got my 1st copy and it said, "If you don't own the first D.O.A. album you are a fucking retard." That was a nice wake-up call to someone who mostly listened to what you kids are calling punk. Granted, D.O.A. records sell a whole hell lot but doesn't push numbers like NOFX or anything on Fat Wreck and maybe just a little more than TKO. Maximum Rock N Roll does a shit ton of reviews, scene reports from across the world like Iran to North Korea and odd places like that, great columns, and etc. etc. They sometimes frown upon bands that are on the Warped Tour, well, it seems like they are getting to the point about not caring so much anymore and plus the stuff you guys listen to is some of the stuff these guys started listening to like Murphy's Law or whatever you kids said.

P.s. Kids who are watching Taking Back Sunday with their Victory hoodies on MTV should listen to what is real emo-punk like Ten Grand or something of that nature.

P.s.s. I like the fact that Victory is not owned by a major and still pushes music that kids still want to listen to like how the last 6 records or whatever had sold like 60,000 copies each in its first week (And I think Taking Back Sunday pushed like 130,000 in its first week of sales).

P.s.s.s. Kids who listen to old punk should start out the No Thanks! boxset released by Rhino then check out the Killed by Death comps and kids into power pop should get the Power Pearls comps. I think these aren't officially released anymore but might be booted. At least the Power Pearls is. The later volumes of Power Pearls start to get iffy by adding non hard to find stuff like the Undertones or what not.

P.s.s.s.s. Bands like Thrice and Billy Talent are like boy bands. Granted, I like listening to "Justified", I am just saying they are the same thing.

P.s.s.s.s.s. Buy a record player so you can get 7"s because they are the greatest plus unless their collectiables, LPs are cheaper than CDs.

P.s.s.s.s.s.s. Learn to mail order.

P.s.s.s.s.s.s.s. That Saints album is good. I would tell all to check that out.
Old 06-13-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I find MRR to be too closed minded and too politically correct. They had some great columns back in the day, though. Too bad Flipside isn't still around. Razorcake is the next best thing.
Old 06-14-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Razorcake has a great design but some of their reviewers are a bunch of retards but they do also seem to have a focus on garage which I enjoy. Is there a newer issue than the one with John Reis on the cover? That seems to be out for a while. I agree that MRR is very left wing, fuck, when Ted Rall is one of your columnists, it makes Michael Moore middleground. Granted I am sorta near that position but maybe a little more libertarian in the aspect of money issues and such. Mitch Cardwell is my favorite columinist.
Old 06-14-05, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I find MRR to be too closed minded and too politically correct. They had some great columns back in the day, though. Too bad Flipside isn't still around. Razorcake is the next best thing.
Agreed, I used to read MRR in the late 80's/early 90's and order Misfits records out of it, but it can be a bit pretentious at times. It is a good way to find some good punk that you may otherwise never get exposure to. It seems though that the general mentality of the mag is as soon as a band sells more than 100 copies of a record they've automatically sold out blah, blah, blah and that argument is just plain tired.
Old 06-14-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Track down a copy of "Punk Side Story" by the band Schlong. It is from the erly-mid 90's. One of the best albums I own.
Old 06-14-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think MRR is getting better though with bands selling copies or what not. Some guy had the Futureheads on his top 10 last year and they have been saying the NOFX singles club thing is good so maybe since the people are changing, the zine is slowly changing.
Old 06-14-05, 11:41 AM

Altough they are an older band and just recently retired, Face to Face's last album "How to Ruin Everything" was pretty good.
Old 06-14-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to give a strong recommendation to Against Me! Absolutely incredible. They actually have a new album coming out later this year. Easily one of my favorite bands.

Meanwhile, I'll add: Strike Anywhere, Rise Against, The Bronx, The Suicide Machines (whose last album was amazing).

And for semi-punkish recommendations, I'll say The Blood Brothers (more hardcore than punk, but still amazing), Midtown, Say Anything, Saves The Day (all on the poppy side), and Rx Bandits (experimental, lots of ska in their sound).
Old 06-14-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh! I have to second the Bronx! That is one great album!
Old 06-14-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Keep 'em coming.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.