Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

unrated/extended/director's cut DVD's where you noticed no difference?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is to a point where you have seen the original cut, but when the unrated version comes out, while the cover boasts "now with 10 minutes of never before seen footage", and nothing stood out

I'd say the winner for me at least was hellboy. I rented the regular version, and then again the new dc and didn't notice any new footage that stood out.
Old 06-12-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts
Differences in "American Pie" were very minimal- I thought the pie scene in the rated version was funnier.
One of the first DVDs I bought was "Kalifornia" because it was one of the first to include both theatrical and unrated cuts on the same disc, but having watched both several times I still can't tell the difference between the two.
Old 06-12-05, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The unrated cut of Kalifornia has a more explicit David Duchovny sex scene, that was about the only difference I noticed.
Old 06-12-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
This is to a point where you have seen the original cut, but when the unrated version comes out, while the cover boasts "now with 10 minutes of never before seen footage", and nothing stood out

I'd say the winner for me at least was hellboy. I rented the regular version, and then again the new dc and didn't notice any new footage that stood out.
Although I couldnt remember what scenes were new i do remember enjoying the DC version of Hellboy much more. it just seemed to flow better.
Old 06-12-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trainspotting: International Version. If the differences hadn't been pointed out, I wouldn't have noticed.

Star Wars Episodes I and II. I have no idea what was different between the theatrical versions and the "DVD versions," except something about Anakin's robotic hand at the end of II.

American Pie 2
Old 06-12-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DealMan
The unrated cut of Kalifornia has a more explicit David Duchovny sex scene, that was about the only difference I noticed.
Actually there are a few other additions. The opening sequence you see the victim in the car crawling out before dying. Meanwhile when Pitt murders the guy in the bathroom,it is much more graphic as you see him getting stabbed to death as pitt is splashed with blood.

Also I recall the editing in the gas station murder sequence near the middle/end of the film to be edited differently and more menacing when Pitt points the shotgun at the clerks head and shoots him.

There may have been additional explicit dialogue in a few places as well.

Either way,there is a 1 minute difference between the two versions. I remember renting the R version and liking the film. Then found the unrated version and rented it and felt abit cheated. Since while it was more explicit in a few places. It didn't seem worth the extra effort renting the film when I was not really in the mood for it and was just watching for the difference.

But when in the mood to watch it,the unrated version would be the way to go.
Old 06-12-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

EP2 was one. I saw one change but missed the other cause it was so minor.
Old 06-12-05, 06:19 PM

Charlie angel's 2 unrated verison what was if anything in that you could can unrated at all?
Old 06-12-05, 07:01 PM

Brade: Trinity
Old 06-12-05, 09:31 PM

SAW R2 Unrated Vs. SAW R1 Rated R. The differences between the two versions are so extremely minimal(almost non-existant), the tag "Unrated" really does'nt seem to apply.
Old 06-12-05, 09:56 PM
Banned

To me, It's just a marketing ploy, like anything else to sell more DVDs.
Old 06-12-05, 11:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
Trainspotting: International Version. If the differences hadn't been pointed out, I wouldn't have noticed.

Star Wars Episodes I and II. I have no idea what was different between the theatrical versions and the "DVD versions," except something about Anakin's robotic hand at the end of II.

American Pie 2
In Ep. I, there was an extended sky bus sequence on Coruscant and Lap 2 during the Pod Race. In fact, the entire Lap 2 sequence wasn't used as you can see in the deleted scenes. In the theatrical cut, there was hardly any footage of Lap 2. On the DVD, there's quite a bit, but some was still cut out. Why? I don't know.

In Ep. II, there was some sparks added to Jango's jet pack during the arena battle after he gets ran over by the rhino creature, denoting that the jet pack was damaged, hence allowing Mace Windu to cut his head off, instead of Jango just being able to fly off.
Old 06-13-05, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
In Ep. II, there was some sparks added to Jango's jet pack during the arena battle after he gets ran over by the rhino creature, denoting that the jet pack was damaged, hence allowing Mace Windu to cut his head off, instead of Jango just being able to fly off.
You have to have a pretty eagle-eye to spot the sparks in the midst of all that action. Whether the addition or absence of the sparks affects the overall movie is up for debate.
Old 06-13-05, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Dark_Sithlord
You have to have a pretty eagle-eye to spot the sparks in the midst of all that action. Whether the addition or absence of the sparks affects the overall movie is up for debate.
Check out the Star Wars forum. It would'nt surprise me if there was a thread bitching about how Jango could have just flown away from Mace Windu.
Old 06-13-05, 03:42 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Theatrical and Special Extended Edition

j/k
Old 06-13-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually don't notice any difference, to tell the truth.
Old 06-13-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ROBERTCOP34
Charlie angel's 2 unrated verison what was if anything in that you could can unrated at all?
the only thing I noticed different when I saw the unrated cut was that the Pussycat dance scene was definitely more raunchy. Other than that, I don't remember anything else

Here's some info from the IMDB
Old 06-13-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
When I first watched the DC of Kate & Leopold I noticed nothing new. On the other hand, the TC looked totally different to me. Apparently, for whatever unknown reason, the version shown theatrically in Puerto Rico was the DC.

Another DC that left me totally confused was the DC of The Crow: City Of Angels. To this day I still can't tell what was changed.
Old 06-13-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
there is a half second close up of a heroin needle going into skin, and the sex scene is extended by a second with a shot of the woman putting her hand between her legs.
Old 06-13-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts
Some of the European slang in Trainspotting was changed for the American release as well, to make it more "understandable". I have the Criterion laserdisc which is the international version, but the closed-captions show the dialogue used in the American version!
Old 06-13-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I concur with American Pie, I thought the theatrical version was funnier.
Old 06-13-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dawn of the Dead. That was probably because it was a year after I saw it in theatres that the DVD came out.
Old 06-13-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't really see any differences in this print of The Magnificent Ambersons that I found in my uncle's garage. It's about 45 minutes longer, but I guess I don't know the shorter version well enough to really tell the difference.

DJ
Old 06-14-05, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by ROBERTCOP34
The ratings are applied to movie cuts that are presented to the film ratings board. If a movie has been rated by them, and any footage that they've not rated before is added in, then the movie becomes unrated.

It means nothing. They could add in a 20 minute (or 20 second) shot of a nice tree on a breezy day. It would still be unrated if not submitted to the ratings board in its final form.

/r

Last edited by Janitor; 06-14-05 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-14-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by djtoell
I don't really see any differences in this print of The Magnificent Ambersons that I found in my uncle's garage. It's about 45 minutes longer, but I guess I don't know the shorter version well enough to really tell the difference.
hehe... Very funny.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.