Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

OLEG TAKTAROV ex-UFC chamption/actor is MISSING! Possible kidnapping...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-05, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of your know OLEG TAKTAROV from UFC fame or BAD BOYS II and other films.

I just read news that he is missing with 4 other movie crew members. He was shooting a documentary movie near border of ANGOLA and 5 people (including him) did not return to their helicopter.

Some folks says he and others were kidnapped by local bandits.

I hope he'll be found soon
Old 06-09-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, weird.

When I first saw 15 Minutes, it took me a few seconds, but then I realized it was Oleg from the UFC. Didn't even know he was getting into acting. I hope they find him.
Old 06-09-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oleg is a scary guy. I give him 3-1 odds against the kidnappers.

D
Old 06-09-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Kidnapped by bandits? What time period are we in?
Old 06-09-05, 09:26 PM

Wow, that's a movie right there in itself.

Hopefully he's brought back safely, but at the same time maybe he'll get lose somehow and "makes the kidnappers pay!"
Old 06-09-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some Sherdog posters make a convincing arguement that it's a hoax.

Originally Posted by Theagenes
Exactly. I am in no way trying to make light of this at all. I've been a fan of Oleg since his debut. But, there are many fishy things about this story. I hope to God this is just publicity stunt. I've been doing a little more research since my last post and now I'm even more inclined to disbelieve this story. Consider the following:

This is a UPDATE from the KABC page:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/06...ing_africa.html

A key excerpt:

When the pilot did show up, he "found a note in a bag saying (the campers) were headed west toward the coast," presumably on foot, Spillane said. Also left behind was a video the crew had been shooting for the witchcraft project.

Spillane said the witchcraft documentary project "had been going haywire" when the crew decided to go camping. At one point, the crew had been chased out of a village.

A video shows a woman screaming at the group as they scrambled into a van, followed by shaken Lodge translating her "death" curse for the rest of the team.

The video brought back by crew member Charlie Solomon -- who recently returned to Los Angeles -- also shows the documentarians fleeing after an unidentified substance was thrown on them.

"It could be poisonous," a woman is heard saying on the tape, which was aired on ABC7.

"This stuff stinks," a man says.

"Let's go, go, go, go," another man says. "Let's just get out of here."

In the original story all that was found was a note. Now we have a dramatic video as well that has the crew having the mojo put on them by some witchdoctor. (Good call JohnBlack!)

Some other things to consider:

-Natasha Terry is well-known radio personality and frequent guest of Howard Stern and others. Her disappearce should have made more of a ripple. She often appears on KLSX in LA, yet there is no mention of her disappearance on their webpage.

- Surely this group would have had a sat phone. Why didn't they call someone when the helicopter didn't show up instead of leaving behind a note and their video?

- Sherri Spillane has a somewhat shady reputation. She is an agent who specializes in people who are involved in scandals. Her clients have included Joey Buttafuoco, Tonya Harding, Amy Fisher, John Wayne Bobbitt, Gennifer Flowers, Tammy Faye Bakker, and Kato Kaelin. Here's an article about her and Joey Buttafuoco from New York Magazine circa 1998, complete with a quote or two from Ron Jeremy:

http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/new.../features/2666/

I'll feel pretty bad if this thing turns out to be legit, but taking all of this into account, I'm going to have to call "work." And I very much hope that I am right.
Old 06-09-05, 10:09 PM
Suspended

So, they finally decided to make a blair witch 3?
Old 06-10-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just happened to watch 44 Minutes last week where he played on of the bank robbers from the 1997 LA street shootout. He seemed like a cool dude from the behind-the-scenes xtras. Hope everything is alright.
Old 06-10-05, 02:01 PM

Oleg by kneebar
Old 06-10-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I think Oleg would be one of the last guys you'd try to kidnap. I read some of the stuff on Sherdog as well and it does seem like a hoax to help publicize the movie.
Old 06-24-05, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess this wasn't updated when they were 'found'.

An international film team which apparently disappeared while on assignment in a remote part of Namibia has been found safe in a bizarre case said to involve a Hollywood sex guru, a Russian Rambo, a British businessman and African witchcraft, The Associated Press reported.

U.S. and British diplomatic officials said Saturday that a group of foreigners — comprising two Americans, a Briton, a South African and a Russian — were located in the Epupa region of northwestern Namibia.

“The crew members were rescued this afternoon, and they are generally in good health,” said the U.S. embassy spokesman in Namibia, Stan Harsher. A British embassy official, speaking on condition of anonymity, concurred and said the embassy hoped to speak to the crew on Sunday.

The team apparently went missing early last week while trying to film a documentary on witchcraft, according to a Los Angeles-based publicist, Sherri Spillane, who said they were chased out of a village where they were trying to film.

Spillane, who represents people who gained prominence on reality TV, identified the missing as Los Angeles pilot Christopher Banninger; British-born businessman Mike Edson; Russian actor Oleg Taktarov; South African athlete K.J. Lodge; and a sex therapist and radio host who goes by the name of Natasha Terry.

Spillane said the witchcraft documentary project “had been going haywire” when the crew decided to go camping last week. At one point, the crew had been chased out of a village, she said. They failed to connect with their helicopter pilot and disappeared without trace, she said.

However, local officials and newspapers voiced doubt about the whole scenario. The claims were barely reported in the Namibian press and were met with scepticism by local southern African newspapers. However, the Russian Embassy in Namibia investigated the disappearance of Taktarov, according to the Interfax news agency.

“Desert puzzle of sex guru and the Bear,” said Cape Town’s evening Argus newspaper on Friday. It described Terry as a “sultry sex therapist and talk show host” and Taktarov as a “Russian bear” who was a champion fighter born in Siberia and was subsequently protected by the KGB secret service before moving to the United States.
Old 06-24-05, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MahatmaPetey
Oleg by kneebar

sherdogger?