Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I be afraid to watch sports, or channels with white logos on my RPTV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

I know it sounds silly. But 90% of channels have a fixed, white logo, and sports constantly have a white scoreboard on the screen.... If my contrast and such is low enough, are these really a problem? I don't want to watch 2 hours of sports, and ruin my new Mits ws-65315......

Thanks,

Matt
Old 06-09-05, 02:50 PM

Hey KillerQ, how do you like the TV so far?

I have the same TV and have been watching sports, espnews now for the past 10 months without a problem. I really wouldnt worry that much about it. Enjoy your nice set.
Old 06-09-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you acquire a setup DVD and use it? If you have the contrast set correctly you should be ok as long as it isn't left on a news or shopping channel for days at a time. And don't leave things on pause.

If you look really close you will notice that most of the logos, scrolling text bars, etc. are really transparent to minimize this issue. Or, they do not appear in exactly the same place or size. Plus, the scores are not really on all that long. Take football. Nothing during commercials, of course. And everytime a replay comes on, the score bar goes off. So it really isn't constant.

Last edited by Spiky; 06-09-05 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-09-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KillerQ
Hey,

I know it sounds silly. But 90% of channels have a fixed, white logo, and sports constantly have a white scoreboard on the screen.... If my contrast and such is low enough, are these really a problem? I don't want to watch 2 hours of sports, and ruin my new Mits ws-65315......

Thanks,

Matt

it would kind of suck if you got a killer tv, but couldn;t watch 90% of the channels... from what i've read, i'd be more concerned about the black (or grey) bars on the sides of the screen
Old 06-09-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts
My eyes tolerate it for far less time than my screen can.
Old 06-10-05, 01:03 AM

I've had the Mits 65513 for about a year and I've recently noticed it definitley has the FOX News logo burned in on the lower left side. Its only noticeable on a white background.

I did use a setup DVD and lowered the contrast. It stayed on FOX for 2-3 hours each morning and another 2-3 hours each evening.
Old 06-10-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought they fixed their logo. Fox News has always been one of the worst. Stay far away, I'd say. A 13" TV is just fine for news, plug it in somewhere close for playing the news in the background.