Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help choosing new subwoofer...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-05, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a JBL PB10 which I've put up on ebay. I've had it a while, and while it's done the job very well, I think it's time to upgrade. I have all JBL speakers which is why I stuck with the JBL sub. I'm looking to go with a 12" sub now and I'm torn between the following:

Polk PSW12: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IQhoPwO...00&I=107PSW12B

Infinity PS12: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IQhoPwO...2300&I=108PS12

JBL Northridge E Series: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1061127108550

Now, I was always under the impression that bottom firing subs were "better" but I see that most today are front firing. My room is only about 12'x17', but I just don't think the current 10" JBL I have can keep up with the rest of the system. If I'm watching a movie loud, I can hear the sub distort slightly. If I have the volume on low, I can barely hear the bass, so like I said, I just think it's underpowered for my setup......not that it's a bad sub. What do you guys suggest?
Old 06-09-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's real easy, 2 steps.

1) Go to the SVSubwoofers.com site and buy which one you can afford.

2) Live happily ever after.

BTW, subs are so omnidirectional it really shouldn't matter which direction the driver fires if it is sending you deep bass.
Old 06-09-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep it sounds like you are in need of an upgrade. The most important question is your budget. I agree with Spiky that SVS are some of the best subwoofers but only if you can afford them. I think they start at $550ish plus shipping and go up from there. That is a little more $$ that the subs you listed but if you can bump up your budget a little (i.e. from $450 for the Infinity or JBL to $550 for the SVS) then you will get a really great sub.

Check out this link SVS 25-31PCi

An SVS will be my next sub once I get the money to upgrade my Onkyo.

Good luck!!
Old 06-09-05, 02:42 PM

SVS are nice, but they are a bit out of my range. I'm looking at the other subs because I can get 0% financing for anywhere from 12 to 18 months going through BB or CC etc....
Old 06-09-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, they start at $429 plus shipping so under $500 most likely. I only brought them up since that fell in the price range listed. If your price range is sustantially below that then SV is probably not possible.

They are worth the extra effort. Personally, I'd wait til I had the extra $100 or whatever rather than waste some money on a sub that is barely better than most front speakers.
Old 06-09-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Of the ones you listed the Polk might do the job.

As an SVS owner however, I agree with the other advice, save your money and get a sub that wont let you down.
Old 06-10-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lots of people love their Velodyne subs, me included. CC carries them, I know so you can go the financing route. On another forum theres alot of good talk about the JBL E250 as far as a great for the money sub goes. The PS12 also gets alot of good marks from people who own one.

Last edited by nightmaster; 06-10-05 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-10-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I love my JBL E250. Pop in Return of the King and go to the scene where they are using the Wolf's Head to knock the castle gates down. I swear my couch moved.

It's so subtle for music. At first I thought it was just weak, but it's not. It doesn't overpower the other frequencies and creates a nice blend.

But here's why it works so well for movies - it has a LFO switch. This means instead of using a crossover, it lets the receiver tell it when to activate the sub. A properly encoded soundtrack sounds like heaven with the sub.
Old 06-10-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.onecall.com/PID_20894.htm
Old 06-10-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
Got mine for $199 shipped from J&R last week. Considering I paid $150 for it's 8" Yamaha predecessor, I'm pink as an 18-year old.
Old 06-10-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
Looking at at all three I'd go Infinity. But if you what better I'd look at the Boston PV-500 or the Velodyne 3500R. Granted the Vel is only a 8" it still kicks. My main system is Boston and their subs are top knotch. That Boston 10" will take any of those three choices to the cleaners. I don't know how big of space you have but unless it's like 20'x24' either of those above will do. If it's that large then the PV700 or Vel 4000R will suit you fine.

Check www.homethesterspot.com for some great stuff on speakers, subs and forums on each manufacture.

Kenny J.
Old 06-11-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watch out below!!

I don't know. The BA only claims 38Hz at the low end. All the others dip below 30Hz. Deeper is always better with a sub unless it's complete trash in other ways. I doubt these are that much worse in build quality, power, etc. I'd have to agree that the JBL is the best deal of the non-SVS above. But maybe this HSU sub should be thrown into the mix. Or its bigger brother at $400.

[Soapbox ON]
I look at all these and compare them to my towers or my dad's old speakers that I used to use, which are rated below 40Hz, too. With that capability, I would not seriously consider any of the subs above. I'd wait 2 years extra (and have, see below) just to save enough for an SVS or HSU Research sub at around $400-500 that would destroy all these others on power & deep bass. Or I'd look into DIY, used, or B stock.

I haven't heard the cheapest SVS (PB10), but from users comments and what I know about their other subs, I can pretty much guarantee that it is about twice the sub compared to my bro-in-law's sub, for example. He has the $900 Sunfire Jr., which I have heard.

No offense, I know money is always an issue, and I'm not suggesting you run out and buy a $1000 sub. But when money is an issue, it's even more important to get something worth having. With a receiver or sub or DVDp that isn't what you really want for $200, you'll just be looking for a new one in 2 years or less, anyway. And you probably won't be independently wealthy to get the Bag End or Meridian equipment then, either. (if you have to ask...) So you'll just be looking for another $100-200 cheap fix and never have anything truly worthwhile.

Save for what you want and don't worry about the rest until it's time is my way. I bought what I could when I had the money. Sometimes it took me awhile to get the money together, but now I have a killer system after 4+ years of work. Other than actual newer technology (like HD DVD of some sort) I can't even see something in my system that would need upgrading at this point.

Sure, at certain points there were obvious deficiencies buying stuff this way, like the last 2 years when I had everything but an HDTV. So I was running an awesome 6.1 surround setup with the best all-around progressive DVDp ever made....shown on a 27" analog TV with a magnetic problem, or something. Sometimes I'd sit there watching a movie asking myself why I bothered with that player. But it's all worth it now that my system is done. And now I KNOW why I got that player. And that sub. Etc.
[Soapbox OFF]
Old 06-12-05, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
But here's why it works so well for movies - it has a LFO switch. This means instead of using a crossover, it lets the receiver tell it when to activate the sub. A properly encoded soundtrack sounds like heaven with the sub.
And you consider this to be a "special" feature?

BTW, a sub with a nondefeatable crossover will sound the same if the crossover point is set at max and it is around 150 hz or higher (which most subs can do).

It's not the crossover that matters, it's the driver and cabinet that account for 90% of the sound quality.
Old 06-12-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not the crossover that matters, it's the driver and cabinet that account for 90% of the sound quality
Don't forget the amp/power supply.

Many subs boast of large driver size. Wthout the power to drive it and the ability to have a deep reserve of power a generic large driver will still fail when the going gets tough. Most low priced subs are fine for most things. It is when the LFE is sufficiently low for a lengthy period of time that the weakness of the sub is revealed.
Old 06-13-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup. Adequate amp is important. Clipping on a sub leads to very dull/boomy bass. Like in your typical dance club setup.... (Where the "sound expert" rule seems to be: Hey, this can go to 10 so let's turn it up to 10 because louder is always better...)

But I digress.
Old 06-13-05, 06:41 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Don't forget the amp/power supply.
Absolutely...A huge driver with wimpy power won't get you anywhere. Although I don't have surround sound at all, I have a full JBL M-Pro system in my house. The built-in Crown amp pushing 660 watts RMS (x2 channels) simply dominates any other sub I've heard. The house would fall down before the amp even broke a sweat...
Old 06-13-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed, don't even bother with a sub with a wimpy amp. The JBL and Infinity boast pretty decent wattage. Bang for the buck-wise I think they're both decent buys. I listened to a few Polk subs before buying my Velodyne but just didn't care for them.
Old 06-14-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nightmaster
Agreed, don't even bother with a sub with a wimpy amp. The JBL and Infinity boast pretty decent wattage. Bang for the buck-wise I think they're both decent buys. I listened to a few Polk subs before buying my Velodyne but just didn't care for them.
I agree with you on Polks. I don't care for ANY of their speakers, actually. Velodynes are very nice. CC had a 15" hooked up for Drumline, jesus that was incredible.
Old 06-14-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Velodynes are very nice
Just remember there are two different lines of Velodyne subs, just like two lines of Yamaha receivers.
Old 06-14-05, 02:26 PM

Well guys, thanks. I ended up going with the infinity PS12. Circuit City dropped the price to $399, plus it comes with a set of Infinity Primus 150 bookshelf speakers which I'll probably sell on ebay, because I'm happy with my current surround speakers. So I figure If I get $100 or so for those speakers, this will have worked out to be a good deal. Also, my brother has a 12" Infinity sub from years ago and to date, it's still the best sub I've ever heard (never having heard the SVS subs of course). I hope to get the same out of this sub.
Old 06-14-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
http://www.onecall.com/Shipping.SHP?...ode=pdvelvx10s
Old 06-15-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is this one better than the 100 dollar Dayton that a lot of people talk about?
Old 06-15-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dave-o
Is this one better than the 100 dollar Dayton that a lot of people talk about?
The Velodyne probably sounds a little bit "deeper", but the Dayton is an excellent sub.
Old 06-16-05, 09:43 AM

Paradigm,Paradigm,Paradigm
Old 06-22-05, 03:46 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Just remember there are two different lines of Velodyne subs, just like two lines of Yamaha receivers.

Can you elaborate on the Yamaha quote. I am looking at their receivers and can't fugure out the diff between model # series.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.