Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Bullitt - New SE has altered footage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-05, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bullitt - New SE has altered footage?

I asked the question in the McQueen thread, but I think that one is dead and buried...anyway, here is what a customer posted on DVDEmpire.com:

That famous scene where the car hit the camera being used to film the scene. Warner Bros. or the director have apparently authorized someone to alter that specific moment of impact, using frames which fill in the gaps left by the actual crash. That is rather sad, given that this is the most famous car chase in film history. If you have the original release of this picture on DVD -- keep it.

Now...I was all set to pick up the new SE, but have to take pause...is there anyone out there who has both editions that can do a quick comparison? No reviews for the SE that I've found mention it, but then again they only give a passing remark to the video in the first place. I know this is a very minor detail but it was what first made an impression on me when I saw the film as a child. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-09-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
didn't notice...can you give specific time codes....find it hard to believe that Warner would do this...
Old 06-09-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I talked about the car chase at length with director Peter Yates for the DVD release, and he never mentioned changing anything.
Old 06-09-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i don't think its changed. you can still notice when the camera gets hit by the charger. it even mentions it in the commentary.
Old 06-10-05, 08:58 AM
JM1

I could be wrong about this, but wasn't there originally a very brief blackout when this happened? Is this perhaps what they are referring to? Perhaps they have either slightly re-edited it to remove this or inserted a couple of frames so that ot is not so noticable.

Either way, I did not really notice it when I watched it recently - the car still smashes into the camera as it always did. Looked fine to me.
Old 06-10-05, 10:25 AM

Cool, thanks for the replies folks. Guess the DVDEmpire reviewer was one of those anti-anamorphic interlopers.