Reload this Page >

Warning! Dead Zone Season 3 problems!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-07-05, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Bloody Disgusting"'s (www.bloody-disgusting.com) website had a brief article stating people were complaining that a white bar was appearing on top of all the episodes of the just-released DEAD ZONE SEASON 3 Box Set. Having just got my copy today, I opened it up and checked. All 3 of my discs have the same problem. Users beware if you were thinking about purchasing this title - it seems to be a common problem with copies of this title.

Old 06-07-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn. I almost picked this up today. Guess I'll hold off for now. Isn't the set in widescreen? I believe the previous two were.

K
Old 06-07-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, it is widescreen and was about to post about this problem. Where the black bar meets the image of the top portion there is a white horizontal line that flickers and moves across- very distracting.
Dang it
(bought from DeepDiscountDVD)
UPDATED below that this might be a Player related issue

Last edited by xfilekr; 06-07-05 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-07-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched my entire set since it came in yesterday and I didn't notice any kind of flicker.

While I don't have a problem I did get screwed over the the first 2 season and they absolutely must get their shit together for these sets. The first season had the mail in offer that was very limited but still on all the packages. The second season had an inserted since they screwed up the episode listing and I had to take it back to swap out a few DVDs because of flaws on the DVD.

USA can make a damn fine show but they need to crack the whip with Lions Gate since they can't get it right.
Old 06-07-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts
My wife watched a couple episodes tonight with no issues. She purchased her copy at FutureShop in Canada, but since there is no French on the packaging, I'm guessing it's the same release as the US.

Yeah, the mail in offer for the 1st season pissed her off too!
Old 06-07-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Semi-Update: I had noticed this problem earlier today on my family room dvd player, now after seeing others with this problem I tried it in my Xbox- same disc- same episode- NO white lines. BUT if I pause, or scan forward or backward the lines become visible, but while watching normally they are gone. So it must be player specific somehow.

Also cause I'm easily annoyed with packaging- why have they done a different kind of packaging with each season? There is no consistency in the box, spine, etc, lol.

Last edited by xfilekr; 06-07-05 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-08-05, 12:55 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I watched my entire set since it came in yesterday and I didn't notice any kind of flicker.

While I don't have a problem I did get screwed over the the first 2 season and they absolutely must get their shit together for these sets. The first season had the mail in offer that was very limited but still on all the packages. The second season had an inserted since they screwed up the episode listing and I had to take it back to swap out a few DVDs because of flaws on the DVD.

USA can make a damn fine show but they need to crack the whip with Lions Gate since they can't get it right.
The offer for the pilot? The one that had a timeframe as to when to mail it in? How were you getting screwed? Just because you bought it months after it came out, and the sticker said free DVD offer (While supplies last or till x/xx/xxxx), really isnt a DVD problem.

As per the problems, ive watched half the season and have not noticed anything like the above. I did however notice two black 'globs' in Episode 6...the one about Walt's past.
Old 06-08-05, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Just because you bought it months after it came out, and the sticker said free DVD offer (While supplies last or till x/xx/xxxx), really isnt a DVD problem.
It's not a DVD problem, no. But it is misleading since the sticker didn't give any timeline or mention while supplies last. The timeline was discovered once you bought and opened the set.
Old 06-08-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Each disc in my set has visual noise, white lines, at the top of each episode! If we still can't get Standard Definition DVD right, why are we pursuing HD? DVD has been a pain in the ass with regard to quality control!
Old 06-08-05, 03:07 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I bought this set today, from Future Shop in Canada, but I have yet to open it. After reading this thread, I have become undecided as to whether or not I actually should open it or not. Should I just take it back, or should I open it and test it out, and then try to take it back if it is defected? All replies will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-08-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good news! Following this link: http://www.usanetwork.com/ubb/usa/ht.../004181-2.html
Old 06-08-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thats good they are adressing the problem, but since they say it is a small percentage of players (5%) will this be a recall for everyone? Thanks
Old 06-08-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would guess that if you send them the defective discs, they will replace them. This reminds me of the BTTF recall. I never thought I'd have to get replacement discs. Universal missed me! Lions Gate got me right in the heart - OUCH! I'm very happy they acknowledge this problem and are willing to rectify it.
Old 06-08-05, 04:37 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I ended up opening my copy and have found that it is also defective. I watched most of the first episode in fullscreen (by pressing the "zoom" button on my remote) and didn't mind it, because I'm used to watching television shows in FS. I'm going to get my set replaced, but I will probably end up continuing to watch it in FS.
Old 06-09-05, 05:53 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3518

This news article lists the fifteen DVD players that have been showing this problem. It also gives the number to call for replacement discs.
Old 06-09-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm getting the problem in PowerDVD as well.
Old 06-10-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Replacement discs

I'm relieved that Lions Gate is acting so quickly. I can't wait for my new discs!

Last edited by Duality; 06-10-05 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-10-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone got someone who picked up when calling that 1800 number? I just got a recording...
Old 06-12-05, 06:18 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I've called three times now, and have yet to have someone actually pick up. All I have gotten has been some lady's answering machine. It's starting to piss me off.
Old 06-13-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wick
I've called three times now, and have yet to have someone actually pick up. All I have gotten has been some lady's answering machine. It's starting to piss me off.
Exactly. I wanted to watch the DVDs before the Season 4 premiere but now that's come and gone.
Old 06-14-05, 01:55 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Here in Canada, you can actually BUY that bonus DVD separately even though it was supposed to be a mail-in offer with the purchase of Season 1. Unfortunately, the disc really isn't that special, as the Pilot is just episodes 1 & 2 combined. As far as I could tell, there wasn't anything extra in the Pilot Cut. Makes me feel silly for buying that and Season 1 at the same time, but I'm glad I have both, as the Pilot disc is good for lending to people who you think might enjoy the show, without making them "commit" to it.

My Season 3 discs look fine to me, but I'm watching them on a 16x9 TV, so the overscan eliminates the problem. I actually have two problems with season 3:
a) Where's Dana?? She's got to be the most beautiful red-headed journalist on TV ever.
b) The supplier cost of Season 3 is MORE than Seasons 1 or 2, even though Season 3 only has 3 discs, while Seasons 1 and 2 have 4 and 5 discs respectively. tsk tsk.
Old 06-14-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Here in Canada, you can actually BUY that bonus DVD separately even though it was supposed to be a mail-in offer with the purchase of Season 1. Unfortunately, the disc really isn't that special, as the Pilot is just episodes 1 & 2 combined. As far as I could tell, there wasn't anything extra in the Pilot Cut.
That's not the bonus disc. The bonus disc was an unaired version of the pilot which was different from the retail and broadcast version of the pilot.
Old 06-14-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just for the record, DZ S3 has the problem on my JVC TH-C5 and on my computer using WinDVD 6.

I tried to watch it and I can't because it's so annoying.

If anyone has the correct number since the number above gets some woman's recording and nothing to do with DZ DVDs.
Old 06-14-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, according to the Lions Gate Forums, the number to call is 1-800-797-1699.

The other link above shows an extension. Don't use that extension and you'll get an operator and ask for customer service. There will be a wait time and there's a "call back" feature. I just tested the number so far. I'll call them back after I finish work.
Old 06-14-05, 02:33 PM

Just called the above number and they took my name and address and said they would send me out the re-issuses. Odd that they didn't say anything about having to send the defective ones back. But, I guess we'll see what happens.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.