Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Donnie Darko LE Tin...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Donnie Darko LE Tin...

Old 06-07-05, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Donnie Darko LE Tin...

I just came from FutureShop (Canada) and saw a copy of Donnie Darko Tin.When did this come out and is it rare? I bought the directors cut on the day it was released and never knew they released a Tin for R1.Anyone know what's up with this?
Old 06-07-05, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its from Hot Topic.
Old 06-07-05, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by sureAV421
its from Hot Topic.
What is Hot topic? lol please explain
Old 06-07-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the tin & I like it, although I am mad at myself for giving the store my money. Hot Topic is a really freaky store for wannabe punks & goth kids (sorry if I'm offending anyone). They pretty much just carry lots of black clothing & is the kind of store that embarassing to walk into unless you have a lot of metal in your face or really baggy pants.

The tin is really nice looking, that is the only reason I got it, I'm a big fan of the film, but unless you are a nut like me, the normal director's cut is fine.

Last edited by Sessa17; 06-07-05 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-07-05, 04:07 PM

The price was only $27.99 (canadian) at futureshop.They only had 1 copy and it was where they prepare their new releases section.Weird they had it.
Old 06-07-05, 04:12 PM

I saw this in the back room of my Media Play a couple days ago. I believe it comes out on the 21st.

I'll double check tomorrow night, unless someone posts more info before then.
Old 06-07-05, 04:50 PM

Down here Newbury Comics stocks the tin also.
Old 06-07-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Hee, I remember getting into it about the whole "Limited edition" bullshit with someone on the forum. They claimed it was going to shoot up in value because of it being so limited.

It's a hot topic item, so clearly they must have had millions made.
Old 06-07-05, 07:48 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Hee, I remember getting into it about the whole "Limited edition" bullshit with someone on the forum. They claimed it was going to shoot up in value because of it being so limited.

It's a hot topic item, so clearly they must have had millions made.
Check ebay...Ive seen some end at over $40...it HAS increased in value.
Old 06-07-05, 08:14 PM

got the tin for $10 shipped from a seller on the forum...:-) already got the dvd for 13.99 so i made out pretty well. it has a pretty cool medallion of the rabbit head as well, which i've put on a leather band to use as a necklace. cool conversation piece among other darko freaks...
Old 06-07-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kolchak
I just came from FutureShop (Canada) and saw a copy of Donnie Darko Tin.When did this come out and is it rare? I bought the directors cut on the day it was released and never knew they released a Tin for R1.Anyone know what's up with this?
Is not really rare cause they aren't numbered. It's just an exclusive item for hot topics stores and that's it otherwise you would see them at best buy or CC.
Old 06-07-05, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by kar10
Is not really rare cause they aren't numbered. It's just an exclusive item for hot topics stores and that's it otherwise you would see them at best buy or CC.
Like I said, this is no longer exclusive. I work at a Media Play and they are in the back - not released yet. So you probably will see them at Best Buy or Circuit City.
Old 06-07-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Check ebay...Ive seen some end at over $40...it HAS increased in value.

Stupidity and laziness on the part of a ebay buyer or consumer is no sign of increased value. Considering these were 29.99 or whatever, a 10 buck gain is really nothing to gloat about. factor in tax and time/trouble to get these and that $10 really doesn't end up much at all. On that same note, I can say that any of my dvds have increased value that are being sold in other stores for 10 bucks more then what I bought it for.

Still doesn't make this a very hard to find if folks are still finding them this long after it was released and as the poster above pointed out, they aren't "exclusive" any longer. So the value really isn't there as a hot item.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 06-07-05 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-07-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Just to be douple-plus sure, besides the actual piece of metal, it does not differ from any other Donnie Darko DVD, right?
Old 06-07-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nope, nothing different other than the piece of metal necklace and the exterior tin. the inside is still the same packaged dvd only with a white sticker over the barcode.
Old 06-07-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

agreed it is no longer a hot topic exclusive...have these in the back room at the store...they street next tuesday....
Old 06-08-05, 11:40 AM
Cool New Member

Does the newer Director's Cut come in this tin or is it the older version?
Old 06-08-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

it's the directors cut. the same white cover one that was out a while ago. It just started out as a hot topic exclusive and now is going wider. Unless you really want the tin or have some desire for the necklace, it's nothing new.
Old 06-08-05, 04:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I believe this first started out in Gemany-but it is the old version, but comes with a 16 page booklet. You can still get them on Amazon.de;

I checked HMV.ca and Futureshop-and couldnt find it-anyone post a detailed link?

Last edited by Seashellz; 06-08-05 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-08-05, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Seashellz
I believe this first started out in Gemany-but it is the old version, but comes with a 16 page booklet. You can still get them on Amazon.de;
they arent talking about that tin, they are talking about the R1 tin.....
Old 06-08-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I have the tin & I like it, although I am mad at myself for giving the store my money. Hot Topic is a really freaky store for wannabe punks & goth kids (sorry if I'm offending anyone). They pretty much just carry lots of black clothing & is the kind of store that embarassing to walk into unless you have a lot of metal in your face or really baggy pants.
But where else can I get cool Nintendo shirts that actually fit me?

I personally dislike 99% of the things Hot Topic carries, but they have tons of exclusive Nightmare Before Christmas stuff that can't be found anywhere else. Unfortunately that stuff is all gone and the whole store has been redone with Napoleon Dynamite, which I assume is the new trend for this summer.
Old 06-09-05, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Don't tell me about Hot Topic and NBC items. It really was the downfall of when I just felt sick of seeing all of it. I was used to importing all my NBC items and having quality over quantity. Oooh how I miss those days before there was every known crappy cheaply made junk with Jack's face on it.
Old 06-15-05, 10:32 PM
Cool New Member

I just saw 3 of these at my local Suncoast, but they were $30! I expected that from them, but has anyone seen it anywhere for a more reasonable price? Does Best Buy stock these?
Old 06-16-05, 12:19 AM

Saw it, cool but meh. They shoulda have this come out 1st. I aint gonna rebuy the Directors Cut for a bloody tin.
Old 06-16-05, 01:19 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Masamune
Saw it, cool but meh. They shoulda have this come out 1st. I aint gonna rebuy the Directors Cut for a bloody tin.
Well it did come out at the same time the DC came out...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.