Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Steve Martin's "Pink Panther" delayed 'til 2006

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

'Pink Panther' delayed to 2006
Hmm, delays always make you wonder... I dunno, I love Steve, but I really can't see anybody but Sellers as Clouseau. Guess we'll have to wait 'til next year to see!

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- Sony Pictures said Monday it has pulled the Steve Martin comedy "The Pink Panther" from its summer schedule, delaying the movie until February 10.

The Shawn Levy-helmed comedy, starring Martin in the role made famous by Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau, was one of the films absorbed by Sony when it acquired Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. in April, and was scheduled for an August 5 bow.

"With the recent acquisition of MGM, we wanted to give our marketing department the time and opportunity to launch this very important franchise," Sony Pictures Releasing president Rory Bruer said. "We've seen the movie, and we really love this film. It's a franchise we believe in and are really excited about, and Steve Martin is great as Clouseau."
Old 06-07-05, 12:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
What a load of bullshit. They are dumping it in February. The film must suck ass.
Old 06-07-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
As we all know, when a studio really, really loves a movie they always move it to February.

And in further news, Alan Smithee has just been elected head of the Director's Guild.
Old 06-07-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Seems smart to me. Bringing Down the House opened the first week of March and was a big hit.
Old 06-07-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this movie should not have been made. Steve Martin, Chevy Chase and just about all the SNL crew from back then should be put out to pasture (or shot) --with Bill Murray as the exception.
Old 06-07-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The trailer was unfunny and I feel bad for Jean Reno (he was the best thing about it, I love that guy). And for Steve Martin talking in recent interviews of how he's trying not to ape Peter Sellers, he sure looks like it to me. But I don't care that much for the original PP movies anyway, so a terrible remake is no skin off my nose. But my g/f who is a big PP fan got really p*ssed off at the trailer and wondered why they even bothered in the first place.
Old 06-07-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Well, they did a couple of reshoots this past week.
Old 06-07-05, 01:04 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Trailer looked pretty bad to me, so not surprised to hear of the reshoots.
Old 06-07-05, 01:10 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate here, August is kind of the "dumping ground" of the summer, whereas Februrary is often host to big releases. All that aside however, I think this one looked pretty terrible to begin with. I was actually less confident when I saw the trailer. I'm guessing Sony didn't agree with MGM's marketing idea either and have decided to find a new approach.
Old 06-07-05, 01:14 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"very important franchise."

What a load of horseshit.
Old 06-07-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say this is a good thing... Keep it on the shelf.
Old 06-07-05, 03:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The 2/10 date is not a dump on the studio's part.
Old 06-07-05, 03:35 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I didn't think that this movie deserved its own thread so I posted it to the "2005's Theatrical Release List" thread instead...

... but no one ever checks there.
Old 06-07-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
but....but....but....Beyonce's in it!!!!!!!!111!!1
Old 06-07-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 06-15-05, 10:04 AM

This thing was shot when Martin was still in his 30s ....

If it smells like a dog ....
Old 06-15-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think Martin as Clouseau and Kevin Kline in the Herbert Lom character is great casting. However, this delay doesn't bode well for the movie.
Old 06-15-05, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
However, this delay doesn't bode well for the movie.

Please explain why.
Old 06-16-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by scott shelton
Please explain why.
Postponing a high profile movie from a summer release to the wasteland of February is not a good sign, regardless of how the studio wants to spin it. If they thought it was any good, it would be released without extra thought to giving the "marketing department the time and opportunity to launch this very important franchise". Especially since this is the second time it's been delayed.
Plus, who is this Shawn Levy? He directed a bunch of cheesy TV shows aimed at pre-teens; Cheaper by the Dozen, a movie I couldn't sit through for more than ten minutes; and Just Married. I Googled the movie, and found nothing but negative reviews of the movie and trailer. That is what's causing the delay, not a clever marketing strategy.
Old 06-16-05, 10:11 AM

*cracks knuckles*

OK...

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Postponing a high profile movie from a summer release to the wasteland of February is not a good sign, regardless of how the studio wants to spin it.
PANTHER was a September release, then bumped to late summer. It never really had a set-in-stone release date.

Additionally, February is not a wasteland. I know we all went over this with the CONSTANTINE thread, and people got itchy about it, but the facts are there. PANTHER moving to the second week of Feb is not a dump.

Last year? HITCH - $43 mil

Year before? 50 FIRST DATES - $39 mil

Year before before? DAREDEVIL - $40 mil

If the right movie is in this slot, serious coinage can be made.

If they thought it was any good, it would be released without extra thought to giving the "marketing department the time and opportunity to launch this very important franchise". Especially since this is the second time it's been delayed.
MGM, which owned PANTHER was purchased by Sony, which has caused a regime change - always a problem. Plus the box office isn't exactly friendly these days. It takes skill to make a hit. Just having a good film isn't enough *cough* CINDERELLA MAN*cough*

Plus, who is this Shawn Levy? He directed a bunch of cheesy TV shows aimed at pre-teens; Cheaper by the Dozen, a movie I couldn't sit through for more than ten minutes; and Just Married.
Like Levy or not (I don't), but he's turned out some big hits. In Hollywood's eyes, he's bankable.

I Googled the movie, and found nothing but negative reviews of the movie and trailer. That is what's causing the delay, not a clever marketing strategy.
I cannot comment on the quaility of PANTHER, and those reviews you "Googled" were test screening ones only, which are suspect to begin with.
Old 06-16-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
this movie should not have been made. Steve Martin, Chevy Chase and just about all the SNL crew from back then should be put out to pasture (or shot) --with Bill Murray as the exception.
steve martin should be put out to pasture?

whatever. that's exceedingly harsh. and that's all that needs to be said about that.
Old 06-17-05, 11:56 AM

Um... Like it or not, test screenings are a key to maketing in Hollywood. Bad test screening make studios nervous, and as of late very few films can be saved after the test screening.

Comparing The Pink Panther's february release to Hitch and 50 First date is silly, those are romantic comedies, which are tied into Valentine's Day. The same can be said about comparing it to Daredevil, which had the added value of taking advantage of the hot comic book craze...

Sony's marketing team has pushed Pink Panther back so they can figure out how to polish a tird... Similar to Fox's third attempt to sell everyone on Fantasic 4, which will likely have a headline of "Fantastic Flop" the Monday after it is released. (But we can go into that in a FF thread...)

fitprod
Old 06-17-05, 12:23 PM

Comparing The Pink Panther's february release to Hitch and 50 First date is silly, those are romantic comedies, which are tied into Valentine's Day. The same can be said about comparing it to Daredevil, which had the added value of taking advantage of the hot comic book craze...
It's not silly, I was showing the diverse types of films that score in that month. The examples stand. Do you want more?

Of course, I'm sure you'll say that PANTHER is some obscure indie title starring a guy who hasn't had any sizable hits in the last three years.

Whatever you want to think, man.

Last edited by scott shelton; 06-17-05 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-17-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
but....but....but....Beyonce's in it!!!!!!!!111!!1

Bey....Bey....Bey....yonce's....Big Butt!!!!11!!!!!!!11111
Old 06-17-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pdinosaur
steve martin should be put out to pasture?

whatever. that's exceedingly harsh. and that's all that needs to be said about that.

not literally. lighten up. He hasn't been making funny movies in years. He should bow out gracefully. Happy?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.