Scary Movie 3.5: Sept. 20th

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-06-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From DVD Answers:

Dimension Home Video has announced Scary Movie 3.5 which is a special unrated edition of the hit film, with new bonus material that has been previously unavailable. The disc (with a feature runtime of 85 minutes), will be available to own from the 20th September this year. Retail will be around $19.99. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Extras will include a commentary with director David Zucker, producer Robert K. Weiss, and writers Craig Mazin and Pat Proft, new deleted and extended scenes with optional commentary from director David Zucker, producer Robert K. Weiss, and writers Craig Mazin and Pat Proft, a Making Scary Movie 3 featurette, a Making Scary Movie 3… For Real featurette, outtakes and bloopers, an alternate ending and a Hulk vs. Aliens – Behind the Scenes of the Alternate Ending feature. Completing the package will be a featurette in which you meet Scary Movie 3’s visual effects experts, and see how foam rubber and lots of ingenuity make the film’s special effects come alive. Stay tuned for the official region one artwork.
Old 06-06-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The second I saw, "the disc, with a feature runtime of 85 minutes..." I got out of my chair, walked into the living room, and picked up the copy of Scary Movie 3 that sits in one of my DVD towers. I flipped it over, checked the runtime, and...

84 minutes.

Thanks Dimension, but no thanks.

-JP
Old 06-06-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but personally, I'd like a more "special" edition of the original Scary Movie. I mean, if the Wayans are doing commentary and special features on Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood, surely they could do a commentary for their most successful movie.

Anyway, in regards to this release, it does seem like a waste. Again, if Dimension has to reissue something in an unrated edition, how about Scream (with an anamorphic transfer to boot)?

Last edited by Skoobooz; 06-06-05 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-06-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, ok, I see, that 1 extra minute is huge, and all those extras come with it as well, oh, ok, I see, thing is that this movie was just awful, so I will not only pass on this offer, but if I had a choice, I'd rather buy Howard The Duck when it comes out on dvd. It may have a shot if stupid stuff like this keeps getting released in the marketplace. If you have seen this once, you have seen all of it.
Old 06-06-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
I mean, if the Wayans are doing commentary and special features on Don't Be A Menace To Society While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood

I believe ou mean, Don't Be A Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood.
Old 06-06-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^
Ha ha...oops. But what a movie that would be. Fixed.

Last edited by Skoobooz; 06-06-05 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-06-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A whole extra minute....

You know, they could add two seconds of new material and re-release a movie as "unrated." Unless you knew the original well enough, or did a scene-by-scene comparison, you might never find it. I'm growing tired of separate theatrical and unrated cuts. I wish they would have the choice of both on a single release. Seamless branching isn't that difficult, is it?

As for Scary Movie 3 itself, I loved it the first time I saw it. It lost its edge with subsequent viewings, but there are select scenes that work every time to provide great laughs (the alien walking through the amateur videos and Jeremy Piven reading everything that appears on the teleprompter). But the current release is good enough for now. The first two are the ones that need revisiting.

...if Dimension has to reissue something in an unrated edition, how about Scream (with an anamorphic transfer to boot)?

--THX
Old 06-06-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It might not be an issue of just an "extra minute." Even though the runtime may be only a minute longer, it doesn't mean all of the content in the other 84 minutes is identical.

DJ
Old 06-06-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like the extras are the same as the current disc
Old 06-06-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a great and funny movie....if takes for what it is worth. I don't know if I want to wait any longer for the unrated version.
Old 06-06-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but personally, I'd like a more "special" edition of the original Scary Movie. I mean, if the Wayans are doing commentary and special features on Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood, surely they could do a commentary for their most successful movie.

Anyway, in regards to this release, it does seem like a waste. Again, if Dimension has to reissue something in an unrated edition, how about Scream (with an anamorphic transfer to boot)?
It's the only good one of the bunch, so here's hoping.
Old 06-06-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I could care less about double dipping on this but I also agree an unrated Scream would be a welcome release.
Old 06-06-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm shying away from the double dips more and more and there is no way Scary Movie makes the cut.
Old 06-07-05, 01:04 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
This is by far one of the worst movies I have sat through. Scary Movie 1 and 2 were pretty decent for what they were trying to do, 3 was just...ugh.

I second a Unrated Scream...seems doubtful though :-(
Old 06-07-05, 01:58 AM

Seamless branching isn't that difficult, is it?
While seamless branching was written into the DVD spec, I believe only Panasonic's authoring system can do this. So yes, it is...

fitprod
Old 06-07-05, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by djtoell

It might not be an issue of just an "extra minute." Even though the runtime may be only a minute longer, it doesn't mean all of the content in the other 84 minutes is identical.
Ah, good point. Hadn't considered that.

Originally Posted by fitprod

While seamless branching was written into the DVD spec, I believe only Panasonic's authoring system can do this. So yes, it is...
I don't understand. Are you saying only Panasonic players are capable of actually performing seamless branching? Are the seams noticeable with other brands, or can other brands not handle branching at all? I've seen so many references to the concept in DVD reviews and forums, I just assumed it was a technology built into all players.

--THX
Old 06-07-05, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
I don't understand. Are you saying only Panasonic players are capable of actually performing seamless branching?
fitprod mentioned that only Panasonic's authoring software can create the seamless branching and wasn't referring to hardware.
Old 06-07-05, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the info but, I'm gonna stick with the current release on this one.
Old 06-07-05, 09:27 AM
Suspended

I'd just like to wish Dimension Home Video, good luck, we're all counting on you.
Old 06-08-05, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fitprod

Originally Posted by Fincher

fitprod mentioned that only Panasonic's authoring software can create the seamless branching and wasn't referring to hardware.
I'm a little confused. Well, more than a little. Could either of you elaborate? fitprod's comment seemed to suggest that seamless branching is brand-specific, which is why I figured he/she meant Panasonic players. What does Panasonic's software have to do with DVDs that feature branching? Is it used exclusively to author them?

--THX
Old 06-08-05, 05:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
What does Panasonic's software have to do with DVDs that feature branching? Is it used exclusively to author them?
You got it.
Old 06-08-05, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice set, but honestly i did not like this movie. I liked the original 2 Much much more than this one. I wish some other movies would get such great se releases.
Old 06-08-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
I'd just like to wish Dimension Home Video, good luck, we're all counting on you.
Wishing Dimension Home Video good luck? Sureley you can't be serious?
Old 06-08-05, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
The second I saw, "the disc, with a feature runtime of 85 minutes..." I got out of my chair, walked into the living room, and picked up the copy of Scary Movie 3 that sits in one of my DVD towers. I flipped it over, checked the runtime, and...

84 minutes.

Studio Exec: Hey, what do we have for Halloween?
Marketing Guy: Well, we could re-release Scary Movie 3
Studio Exec: Ok, how do we get people to re-purchase?
Marketing Guy: We could make it a new cut? Or maybe Unrated??
Studio Guy: How would we do that?
Marketing Guy: Just add in at least one more minute of content not seen in the theatrical cut.
Studio Guy: *rubs hands together* Brilliant!
Old 06-08-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

worst....rerelease....ever

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.