Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pulp Fiction...extra scenes on TV version??

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-05-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm in the middle of watching PF on Spike TV and I'm at the part where Mia is interviewing Vince at her house with a video camera before their date. The scene is shot in black and white and you're seeing what she's seeing through the video camera. Shes asking him questions like when he's having a conversation does he listen or wait to talk, etc. Is this scene in the original movie because I dont remember it?
Old 06-05-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IM sure since they cut out some scenes, they had to extend it so they added the deleted scene back into the film. Its quite common and not surprising. I cant believe its even on tv, so much has to be edited and cut out.

The network television version makes the following alterations:

* Dubbed dialogue in Pumpkin and Honey Bunny's opening conversation
* Omission of the entire scene after Vincent and Jules get off the elevator talking about foot massages
* Omission of a part of the drug transaction scene starting with Vincent's discussion of how his car was keyed
* Omission of the "shooting-up" sequence
* The audio of Uma Thurman snorting cocaine as "Son of a Preacher Man" plays is absent
* Inclusion of the "Mia Wallace" interview scene
* Omission of the scene where Vincent finds Mia in her overdosed condition
* Omission of the "oral pleasure" scene
* When Butch opens the door to reveal the sodomy of Marsellus, an image of Maynard has been superimposed to prevent from seeing Zed's actual thrusting
* Omission of the entire scene where Jules and Vincent argue after blowing Marvin's head off (both in the car and in Jimmy's bathroom)
* Omission of the entire scene of Jules and Vincent cleaning up the back of the car
* Among the list of words cut out: all variations of "fuck", "shit", "God damn", and "******". The use of the word "bitch" is permitted in some cases ("Does he look like a bitch?") but not in others ("Tell that bitch ['babe' in the TV version] to be cool!")
Old 06-05-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats amazingly awful
Old 06-06-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts
The scene that the original post is talking about does not appear in the theatrical cut of the film. It is, however, included as a deleted scene on the DVD.
Old 06-06-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why even show it?? I was very surprised that Spike even aired it.
Old 06-06-05, 03:35 AM

I haven't even seen Pulp on TV, but once on Fool-screen/Pan-and-Scam. NEVER fu@#ing again!! It was hacked to hell. All I remember is the scene in the car, Jules and Vincent talking. All one shot, remember? Well, in Fool-screen it's chopped up into shot-reverse-shot, from what I remember. !! I remember it looked like they re-edited the whole sequence with cutting-room floor shot/reverse-shot takes. I don't know if that's how it was done, but it looked like that. Ass-tastic. Never. EVER. Again.
Old 06-06-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
Pulp Fiction is one of the first P&S VHS tapes I had that really bothered me. The scene where Jules pulls his gun and shoots Flock of Seagulls looked really bad.
Old 06-06-05, 01:05 PM
Banned

The taxi scene with Bruce Willis looked awful.
Old 06-06-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah P&S Pulp Fiction..what a nasty eyesore that was. But at the time it was the only way for me to see it on VHS.

Then we found a used copy of the widescreen VHS,my little brother(8 at the time) bought it. We finally saw the real version of the film..once,since the tape was eaten up when we rewound it. Then we didn't watch the film since,because we refused to watch it in P&S!

Flashforward 10 years later and we finally see Pulp in widescreen again on cable. I am still planning to pick up the dvd sometime.

Old 06-06-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i wonder why a network like spike tv or bravo can play reservoir dogs uncut (sans the f word) but make so many cuts to pulp fiction.
Old 06-06-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe it is because Dogs has less 'questionable' content than Fiction? Ie-theirs some minor gun violence in Dogs,and the film is mostly all talk.

Fiction has detailed drug use,male rape, stronger violence etc.

Also I don't call Spike or Bravos so called 'uncut' airings of certain films 'uncut' if they delete swear words and blur/block out nudity.

So I don't bother watching either channel,nor movies on basic cable and tv networks in general.
Old 06-07-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Pulp Fiction is one of the first P&S VHS tapes I had that really bothered me. The scene where Jules pulls his gun and shoots Flock of Seagulls looked really bad.
That's actually my favorite pan&scan shot ever. So crazy, and it looks so wrong, but I love it.

FWIW, Tarantino prepared the TV edit of the movie himself (I would assume, from the craziness of that pan in the P&S version that he did that too, but I don't know of that for sure).