Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Help me identify a version of 'Tusk', please

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

I've been looking for a specific version of Fleetwood Mac's 'Tusk' for a few years now, hoping to stumble across it, but no luck. I'm hoping some of the aficionado's in here could help me out.

It's a version of 'Tusk' that Art Bell used to use as a bumper on Coast to Coast. It sounded like it had a lot of horns in it. I don't know if it was Fleetwood Mac or someone doing a cover. It's not the well know Fleetwood Mac version, and it's not the live version they did on that 2000's concert that PBS runs all the time.

Anyone have an idea what this might be? Artist or album? Thanks.
Old 06-05-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
It sounds like you want the version done with the USC Marching Trojans. I think I've heard a different version without so much horns, but the one with the USC band is the one I heard on the radio most of the time. It should be extremely easy to find.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 06-05-05 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-05-05, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Were the lyrics in the song or was it just instrumental?

If it was just instrumental it was a USC version that's been floating on the web for a while and available to purchase on CD through the USC trojans website. It could also be the String Quartet tribute but that really didn't have a lot of horns on it.

If it had the lyrics and sounded good it is likely the fleetwood mac version as the only artist to rerecord the song with lyrics was Camper Van Beethoven and it is nothing like the original. Fleetwood Mac has five versions of the song available (I'm guessing you're looking for the starred (*) version):

1. From the Tusk album (the original single does contain horns but is the well known version from that era)

2. Single Mix B (No horns)

3. From the 25 Years the Chain set (a slightly modified version, the horns are LOUDER in this version, and the harmonies are still evident). This version is pretty rare, I wouldn't expect to hear it on the radio.

*4. Live 1997 The Dance (I'm guessing this is the one you're looking for) Lindsey ONLY on vocals and very, very loud horns. This is not the concert PBS shows, this is the one from MTV

5. Live 2004 PBS Soundstage. Stevie AND Lindsey on vocals, horns are synthesized but present. This is the concert PBS is always playing.
Old 06-05-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, my money is on the 1997 one from "the dance"
Old 06-06-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mhepburn20
Were the lyrics in the song or was it just instrumental?

If it was just instrumental......

Thanks for the breakdown on all the different versions of 'Tusk'. I'm gonna have to take a look for the Camper Van Beethoven cover.

The version I'm thinking of must be one of the USC one's. The one Art used to play was instrumental, and predominently horns. I found the one from The Dance. That was terrific. I listened to it a bunch of times today.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-03-15, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Help me identify a version of 'Tusk', please

10 years later, I still haven't been able to find the version of Tusk I mention in the OP.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/omtRsUqMN6c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can hear it played during this show, at the 19 minute 40 second mark. It cuts off during the intro, but when Art lets it play longer there are the lyrics.
Old 09-04-15, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

When the "singing" starts, it sounds like a Gregorian chants cover. Did some Googling and didn't come across any cover like that.

Have you just tried e-mailing/calling the show and asking them? I have to believe someone there knows where it's from.
Old 09-05-15, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Coral
Have you just tried e-mailing/calling the show and asking them? I have to believe someone there knows where it's from.
Unfortunately, these shows are from the late 90s, early 2000's. Occasionally, they would post a list of their bumper music, but only identified this piece as "Tusk by Fleetwood Mac" even though Fleetwood Mac is clearly not the ones performing it.
Old 09-06-15, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I uploaded this to YouTube just for you. I hope it's the one you're looking for.

Old 09-10-15, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the upload Numanoid! That's the best Marching Band version I've heard. It has a lot of energy and builds to a dramatic end.

Glad to have this, although it is not the Art Bell version, which seems to dissolve into what sounds like chanting.
Old 09-28-15, 03:10 AM

I think it's this mix from their 1992 "The Chain" boxset - listen starting at about 0:30 and it sounds identical to the Art Bell clip. I can't link directly (not enough posts) but just add the dots to the youtube end.

www youtube com/watch?v=_lrmRKaX7Cc
Old 09-28-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,191 Likes on 4,218 Posts

I'll embed that link for you.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_lrmRKaX7Cc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-28-15, 05:52 PM

Thanks, Decker!
Old 12-19-15, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Dying to find out if this was the version he was looking for.
Old 02-08-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh my God! I can't believe I missed this thread back in September.

Thank you, so very, very much chancetx and Decker. This is the version I've been looking for for such a ridiculously long time.

I got such a chill up my spine when I started listening to the clip and that grand, ominous horn music started playing.

This is such an odd version of Tusk, as it is identical to the record version, accept for that amazing instrumental at the very beginning.

I am so fucking happy to have this tracked down.

Again, thanks very much and sorry for not seeing this last September.
Old 02-08-16, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,191 Likes on 4,218 Posts

Glad you found it. It's also on the recently-released Deluxe version of the album that came out late last year.
I added it to my Spotify "collection". When I heard it, I thought about this thread.