Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Napoleon Dynamite Wins 3 MTV Movie Awards

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-05, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Napoleon Dynamite was named best movie and star Jon Heder received two awards: breakthrough male performance and best musical performance for his awkward talent-show dance moves.

"I want to thank Michael Jackson, John Travolta, Justin Timberlake," Heder said, referring to the inspirations for his dance moves.

Yahoo News
Old 06-05-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awkward dance moves? I thought he was great.
Old 06-05-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His dance moves were pretty flippin' sweet. GOSH!
Old 06-05-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
thanks for the fucking spoiler in the title since the show doesn't air for a few more days!

Old 06-05-05, 12:53 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

here's a real spoiler for you...
Spoiler:
Child actress Dakota Fanning won best frightened performance in "Hide and Seek"
Old 06-05-05, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
thanks for the fucking spoiler in the title since the show doesn't air for a few more days!

While I respect the position...it is the MTV awards after all. Hell, even the winners know they've won before the show.
Old 06-05-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great, MTV gives their own movie awards. This conveniently ties into the waves of Napoleon Dynamite merchandise I've been seeing at the mall lately.
Old 06-05-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

... MTV Movie Awards ... riiiiiiiiiight.
Old 06-05-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Can't say I'm surprised. The audience for the showing that I went to was made up mostly of the TRL crowd...and they ate the movie up.
Old 06-06-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
While I understand for some reason(s) that are inperceptable to me the movie was very successful, I thought it was a waste of 2 hours of my life.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 06-06-05 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-06-05, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since Miramax loves awards so much they should take a hint from MTV and hold their own award show.
Old 06-06-05, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Since Miramax loves awards so much they should take a hint from MTV and hold their own award show.
Hahahaha.

On tonight's first annual Mirimax Film awards, see presentations for: Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Cute French Actress named Audrey, Best Asian Martial Arts Film Imported to the United States, Best Movie that Features Jay and Silent Bob, Best Director with a First Name that Begins with Q, Best Score, and Best Screenplay!

-JP
Old 06-06-05, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by NitroJMS
Great, MTV gives their own movie awards. This conveniently ties into the waves of Napoleon Dynamite merchandise I've been seeing at the mall lately.

that shit has been flooded into hot topic since the movie came out. Blame fox for that.
Old 06-06-05, 04:02 AM

Never will understand the backlash against this film.
Old 06-06-05, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It was a film that was either loved or hated. it's a really thick hard line between the two groups. Some felt that it was awful while others loved it. simple as that.
Old 06-06-05, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
It was a film that was either loved or hated. it's a really thick hard line between the two groups. Some felt that it was awful while others loved it. simple as that.
I agree. While I loved it, I could easily see why some people don't. It's just one of those films that seems to have no middle ground.
Old 06-07-05, 12:40 AM

Ok, I too can see why people hated it. To tell the truth, when i first saw it, I thought it was merely all right and then it grew on me over time. What I don't understand is why people are so bitter over something they didn't care for becoming so popular?

I can't stand shows like Survivor, American Idol or Desperate Housewives, yet I never got all pissed off when they blew up. My question is why do people got to be hatin' all the time more or less.
Old 06-07-05, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by badger1997
My question is why do people got to be hatin' all the time more or less.
easy answer... ego. and i'm not criticizing that as good or bad. but it comes from having pride in a feeling of superiority over the material. and that's why i didn't like NP. because i feel i'm smarter than the filmmakers -- i could see through their desperation for quirkiness. if it hadn't been so superficial, it would have attained that rare quality found in films like Bottle Rocket.
Old 06-07-05, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
easy answer... ego. and i'm not criticizing that as good or bad. but it comes from having pride in a feeling of superiority over the material. and that's why i didn't like NP. because i feel i'm smarter than the filmmakers -- i could see through their desperation for quirkiness. if it hadn't been so superficial, it would have attained that rare quality found in films like Bottle Rocket.
Man, talk about having a big ego. Oh wait, you just admitted that.

Maybe the material is so smart, that you think you are superior to it but in fact, are so far below it that you can't comprehend it's greatness.
Old 06-07-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I hated it the first time I saw it, then mysteriously found myself laughing at it days later.
Old 06-07-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
While I understand for some reason(s) that are inperceptable to me the movie was very successful, I thought it was a waste of 2 hours of my life.

I HATED this movie.
Old 06-07-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema

I HATED this movie.
Hated it enough to both click on a thread about it and post about it too?
Old 06-07-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Actually, I'm pretty indifferent to it. I found it mildly amusing, but thought it was trying a bit too hard to be quirky cool. I neither love it nor hate it. I'll probably watch it again, but if I don't get a chance, that's fine too.
Old 06-07-05, 03:37 PM

Oh, ok. Never mind I get it now. Must make you fee pretty good to be so much better and smarter than other people. Therefore it MUST mean that anybody who enjoyed the film is stupid.
Old 06-07-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it's not about being smart, it's about convincing the masses that you're smart.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.