Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stuck On You - Not bad

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stuck On You - Not bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck On You - Not bad

just finished watching Stuck on You with Damon & Kinnear... I was expecting a giant pile of carp, but it was actually pretty good... Kind of funny with a nice story... Just thought I'd share in case any one was thinking of seeing it
Old 06-04-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was a perfectly fine comedy in my opinion. It's something that isn't an all time great flick, but I'd watch it anytime I came across it on TV. It got two thumbs up from me, just for entertaining me the entire time.
Old 06-04-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
It was a perfectly fine comedy in my opinion. It's something that isn't an all time great flick, but I'd watch it anytime I came across it on TV. It got two thumbs up from me, just for entertaining me the entire time.
the commericals were kind of misleading.. i really was expecting it to be pretty lousy
Old 06-04-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, I remember not being interested in it at all from the commercials, but ended up picking it up on dvd, and liked it quite a bit.
Old 06-05-05, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was a pretty fun pop corn movie. After ending up not liking Shallow Hal, I think it's going to be just as lame as that movie. But I'm glad it was much better than my expectation.
Old 06-05-05, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Plot: The relationship between Bob and Walt, conjoined twins from Martha's Vineyard, is put to the test when the two move out to Hollywood so Walt can pursue his acting career. Things start well, with Walt landing a role on Cher's new TV show. However, success threatens to drive the two apart, and there are lies, secrets, and women around every corner.

Comments: This was a decent little comedy. It had a few touching moments, but not that many truly funny moments. One thing is for sure, it certainly didn't live up to the prior works of Bobby and Peter Farrelly. The Farrelly Brothers are the guys who brought us films like Dumb & Dumber, Kingpin, and There's Something About Mary. Therefore, you come to expect something quite funny anytime you go to see a film by this renowned comedic pair. Unfortunately, they don't deliver here...not in the way that they've delivered before.

The acting was decent, given the script these people were working with. The two leads, Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear, stole the show...with the beautiful Eva Mendes and company doing nothing too special (despite one or two claims I've read boldly stating that Mendes gives the best performance of the bunch). This film, along with the Farrelly's last film, Shallow Hal, seems more dramatic than comedic. They're letting their characters take over, and letting the trashcan humor that made them famous take a backseat.

I have no doubt that they can branch into drama...however I think they're trying to ease into that realm by letting more and more drama shine through in their comedies. What we're left with is neither dramatic masterpiece, nor comedic masterpiece. Instead, it's a slightly enjoyable combination of both. In my eyes, when you brashly cross two dissimilar genres in a film, and don't do so with any particular care...you take your audience out of the picture. When the audience momentarily ceases to laugh, or ceases to be emotionally involved...which happens any time you cross out of your fundamental genre, they're removed from the film. Therefore, I've never really cared for pictures of this nature...the types that attempt to have you slapping your knees in one moment, and crying tears of joy or sorrow in the next.

I suppose that for what it is, Stuck on You is a good film. However, I think it's genre is rather bottom-barrel, so it really doesn't have any room to shine. It's not comedy, and it's not drama. Therefore, it can't shine with nonstop laughter because the audience is too busy becoming involved with the characters, and it can't shine with it's story because the audience is too busy laughing at the occasional slapstick joke. It's stuck in the nest of mediocrity that it's created for itself. Hopefully this is a stepping stone to greater things. Hopefully.

Rating: 6.5/10
Old 06-05-05, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Natrl pretty much summed it up nicely for me.

Thanks for taking the time to read my very informative post.