Reload this Page >

Batmania DVD question

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Batmania DVD question

Old 06-03-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Batmania DVD question

I was watching disk one of the Batmania DVD and in one the very, very repetitive docs, they show a clip from Adam West's screen test for the tv show. In the scene, West is doing a dramatic scene where he's talking to his ward about Batman's cover being blown. In my understanding of the scene, Wayne wasn't speculating on what would happen - he was actually reacting to it. He was upset that he'd have to give up the cowl. Why would he have to perform a scene or a note that would never, ever happen on the tv show?

It's also interesting to note that Wayne refers to the murder of his parents - something that's never mentioned on the actual show. Seems like they were toying around with making a straight forward - non camp - show.

Thoughts...
Old 06-03-05, 11:13 PM
Banned

Wrong forum, my friend. Although you're talking about the DVD in some context, the actual topic is more suited for TV Talk.
Old 06-05-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could see that...but many times in auditions they will get a feel for your acting ability through drama and comedy...they are the two elements of acting...whether you make a sci fi, western, action, noir, animated, or any other genre of movie it all boils down to either action or comedy...

i think that may be the case in this one...

hopefully the dvd will show up in the future and explain it all to us
Old 06-06-05, 02:54 AM

Wasn't the dialogue from that scene re-written a little bit and re-used in the pilot episode?
Old 06-09-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't buy the comedy and drama are opposite sides of the same coin theory. When casting for a tv show (comedies in particular), producers don't care if actors can't demonstrate the full spectrum of human emotion. They are casting types. A casting session for 3's Company isn't going to ask the actors to read scenes from Dalas. Doesn't make sense. I wonder if they completely changed the focus of the tv show in between casting and productions.
Old 06-10-05, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kube i'll give you that....but even in a show like batman...the action scenes are not comedy...that makes them drama...so you have to get some sense that he looks like a strong upright man if he is going to play batman
Old 06-11-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally, I thought Adam West played a very good Batman (and would have done a great job without the camp - which i never really have care for.)