TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Big changes may be coming to S2 of Veronica Mars - Spoilers Inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Big changes may be coming to S2 of Veronica Mars - Spoilers Inside

As per Kristin at www.eonline.com...
Veronica Mars: According to sources close to the show, Veronica's second-season pickup came with a suggestion: that producers try to pull in a broader audience closer in demographics to its new time-slot partner on UPN, America's Next Top Model. To do so, the idea was that Veronica should get a female companion, hopefully with a "name" (rumor has it they tossed around the name Tara Reid--though I choose not to believe that), an older love interest and, here comes the hard part, that producers scale back two characters close to Veronica (meaning, they won't be in every episode), and write off a third.

Hope you're sitting down. Because sources in the know tell me someone is getting killed off of Veronica Mars six episodes into the new season. And who it is will rip your heart into itty-bitty pieces.

Though I'm tempted to name this dead man walking so you can write in letters to help save this beloved character and actor, I've been promised a slow, torturous death inside a burning refrigerator if I do, for it will spoil a major upcoming plot point. Hmph.

So, I can only issue this plea to the Powers That Be: Please, if at all possible, do your best not to tinker with the core relationships and core identity of this show. Those of us who have followed and adored Veronica Mars from the very beginning know the trick is not in making this show "better" (it's already creative genius) or "more mainstream" (Kristen Bell is as universally likable as chocolate), but in simply getting the word out. Sure, that isn't easy, but we have mouths. We'll help!
http://www.eonline.com/Gossip/Kristi...05/050603.html
Old 06-03-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPN never ceases to amaze me. This is far and away their best show, dare I say the best show they have ever aired. I understand they want it to get better ratings, but seriously, they are going to get slaughtered in their time slot no matter what they do. Why not put it on Tuesdays before or after Gilmore Girls, that would be probably make the most sense.
Old 06-03-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Egads. Sounds like Dad's a goner? I was planning on getting into this show via DVD. I hope as hell they're not ruining it for S2--but this isn't a good sign...
Old 06-03-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only UPN ...

das
Old 06-03-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dvd182
UPN never ceases to amaze me. This is far and away their best show, dare I say the best show they have ever aired. I understand they want it to get better ratings, but seriously, they are going to get slaughtered in their time slot no matter what they do. Why not put it on Tuesdays before or after Gilmore Girls, that would be probably make the most sense.
Isn't it already on one hour after GG on Tuesdays?

It goes against AR at 8pm where I live. I watch AR live and tape VM to be watched at 9pm.

It's by far the best night of tv in my house.

But I do think it would do far better on another day.
Old 06-03-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can almost hear them starting to demand all standalone eps. with no ongoing story weaved in.
Old 06-03-05, 02:31 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I could see them writing off either Duncan or Weevil. What would Duncans storyline consist of next year? Weevil, while a great character, was hardly ever used last season...He seemed to show up to spout out a sentence or two, and then he was gone.

Now for killing a character... I doubt the father. To me, it makes more sense to kill her back-stabbing-stealing mother.
Old 06-03-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I could see them writing off either Duncan or Weevil. What would Duncans storyline consist of next year? Weevil, while a great character, was hardly ever used last season...He seemed to show up to spout out a sentence or two, and then he was gone.

Now for killing a character... I doubt the father. To me, it makes more sense to kill her back-stabbing-stealing mother.
I would imagine Weevil's storyline in season 2 would revolve around the
Spoiler:
"Weevil finds Logan on the bridge while he still thinks Logan is the killer"
situation the season 1 finale presented. Also, if they kill of Keith Mars I'm going to have a real hard time continuing to watch the show.
Old 06-03-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Geez they better not screw this show up... If they change to try to attract an Americas Top Model demographic...well that ain't me and I'd stop watching.
Old 06-03-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shady12
Geez they better not screw this show up... If they change to try to attract an Americas Top Model demographic...well that ain't me and I'd stop watching.
Exactly who is the America's Next Top Model demo? I would think it would skew young-with both males and females. Isn't that kinda sorta VM's demo? The great thing about Veronica Mars is that older people are interested because of the quality of the characters and the stories.

My wife and I are both mid-30's and we both love it. The closest 2 couples we get together with had become fans too by the middle of the season. My sister is 20 and watches it too. I think the audience would be there is they didn't have it against the toughest competition on Tuesday nights.
Old 06-03-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No season two would be better than a season two that doesn't conform to RT's vision. I'm serious about that.

Still, I'm reserving judgment. All of the TV people got hosed by bad sources at one point or another this year, and I can only hope this is another case...
Old 06-03-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd182
Gilmore Girls is WB, not UPN.
Old 06-03-05, 07:09 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Isn't it already on one hour after GG on Tuesdays?
This season it was, but as Jeremy517 said on a differnt network.

Next season it's going head to head with Lost

NBC telling Graham Yost and ABC telling J.J Abrams to dumb down Boomtown and Alias all worked out so well
Old 06-03-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like VM going against LOST except that I watch both. Remember, every other network is going to try launching a show in that timeslot. That sounds like pretty easy competition for Veronica, particularly when she really only needs to finish like 4th to make UPN really happy.
Old 06-03-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have no problem with Veronica Mars current time slot of 8pm (central time) on Tuesday. I also watch Amazing Race, but I usually tape one show while watching another live.
Old 06-03-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Gilmore Girls is WB, not UPN.
I realize that, but the shows might share a better demographic than one might think (I mean they both feature snarky leads, ha). Anyway, if the shows did have any crossover appeal, I would imagine that one would be more likely to watch it on a night shows like it were on (not gonna happen against Lost or on a packed Thursday, so Tuesday seemed like a pretty decent choice). I didn't catch while it aired last season (thank you bt), so I was unaware of its previous timeslot.
Old 06-03-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
If true...bad bad news.

There weren't a whole lot of spare viewers at 9EST/8CST last season, especially with One Tree Hill targeting the exact same demo and that little show called House pulling in major number on Fox (not to mention TAR).

I think Veronica Mars is already built to appeal to that young women audience of Next Top Model with its strong female lead, involved story line, and hunky guys (a formula that worked for the young female demo darling Buffy). The reason it couldn't pull that audience was that its lead in were two urban sitcoms.

Left untouched, I think the show automatically pulls stronger numbers next year because of the more compatiable lead in.....but what do I know, I don't run a TV network.
Old 06-03-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That shit pisses me off....first they pull Jack & Bobby and Contender and now they screw with VM.
Old 06-03-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I doubt they would kill off Keith Mars. How can they achieve a broader demographic by killing off the only regular adult character? Everyone else, besides Veronica of course, is expendable. Then again, network execs are no smarter than baboons.
Old 06-03-05, 11:28 PM

Wouldn't the logical choice be Wallace if Veronica is supposed to get a female buddy to sleuth through crimes?
Old 06-04-05, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I think there's some confusion as to when will Veronica Mars will be airing in the fall. This is UPN announced 2005 fall schedule. As some people have indicated on this thread it will be going against Lost, which ABC switched to 9:00 pm.

WEDNESDAY

8:00-9:00 PM AMERICA’S NEXT TOP MODEL

9:00-10:00 PM VERONICA MARS
Old 06-04-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope they don't replace Wallace, he's great as the best friend. It would also be a shame if they killed off Keith Mars, in fact, it would be farcical.
Old 06-04-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think everybody fears they'd kill of Keith, but I think it makes no sense. I imagine they want to see less of (or none of) 3 of the following 4:

Duncan
Logan
Wallace
Weevil

Oddly, that's probably the order I value them in (from least to most). I really think there's a lot to be explored via Weevil, and I'd hate to see him less than we do now. I'm okay with him coming up only about half the time, though.

I do wonder if the desire for the older boyfriend accounts for the deputy Veronica half-heartedly "dated" this past season. That makes me hope the concerns are all water under the bridge, nobody is getting cut or killed off, and that Mac will be seen as much as she was toward the end of the season as a female friend for Veronica in lieu of an older one. In fact, I think Mac, Wallace, and Veronica actually could have a nice Willow, Xander, Buffy dynamic if the show feels at liberty to develop it.

(edit: changed "Meg" to "Mac" -- I can't believe I confused those characters)

Last edited by Jimmy James; 06-04-05 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-04-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
They won't kill off Daddy-dearest - it will be either Logan or Wallace.
Old 06-04-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B.A.
They won't kill off Daddy-dearest - it will be either Logan or Wallace.
I agree. Veronica is still a minor. With mom off boozing, who would Veronica live with? Having her solve cases from her dad's office is a lot more feasible than from a foster home.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.