Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some interesting DVD ideas from Mark Cuban

Post your thoughts.

http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000127044892/

Saxon
Old 06-02-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, interesting ..... but so misguided. That's just a jumble of random ideas, some of which have been voiced by others, many of which have no practical possibilities.

For example, he writes:

"The 3rd option is one that movie producers might not like, but needs to happen. Theater owners need to share in the backend of DVD sales and rentals."

C'mon! Isn't that like saying restaurant owners should get a share of what we spend at the supermarket because we're eating at home and not
going out to eat?
Old 06-02-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think he makes some valid points. One I liked was his idea of selling copies of movies to people who have just seen it, as they leave the theater. I know there's many movies I would've bought a copy of immediately after leaving the theater. Really, it's not much different than buying a copy of a band's CD as you're leaving a concert.

Also, having a movie available on DVD immediately upon release for a higher price would be worth it too. I would've paid much more than the price of admission to see "Star Wars" for example, without having to deal with the crowds, screaming kids, ringing cellphones, etc. It's a movie that I didn't want to wait to see, and was willing to put up with that, but if other options were available, I would've taken them.

Regardless, I don't see the business model changing anytime soon.
Old 06-02-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Theater owners would do just fine if the studios didn't demand so much for rentals of their films and such a large percentage of the first few weeks "take" of a motion picture. Allow some of these theaters to actually MAKE money, and perhaps they can start upgrading their movie houses to provide a better experience for their customers. Otherwise, most just struggle to make enough to stay open and pay all their employees.
Old 06-02-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Theater owners would do just fine if the studios didn't demand so much for rentals of their films and such a large percentage of the first few weeks "take" of a motion picture. Allow some of these theaters to actually MAKE money, and perhaps they can start upgrading their movie houses to provide a better experience for their customers. Otherwise, most just struggle to make enough to stay open and pay all their employees.

I know that the studios are in the business to make money, but seriously. When films are making more on DVD than what they made in the theaters (and this applies to films that make over $100 million or $10 million in their theatrical run), the studios have to cut a little bit more slack on the theaters' end. More people would go to the theaters if they were either cheaper or if they got their money's worth. One does not want to pay an arm and a leg to see a piss-poor presentation. They want to get the best experience possible. However to get DLP or to get digital sound or to get stadium seating, the theaters do need money, and the only way they're getting the cash is either by ad revenue or the concession stand. The studios at the current moment are giving them shit.

However, I don't agree with any of the other points he makes.
Old 06-02-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
Yes, interesting ..... but so misguided. That's just a jumble of random ideas, some of which have been voiced by others, many of which have no practical possibilities.

For example, he writes:

"The 3rd option is one that movie producers might not like, but needs to happen. Theater owners need to share in the backend of DVD sales and rentals."

C'mon! Isn't that like saying restaurant owners should get a share of what we spend at the supermarket because we're eating at home and not
going out to eat?
Unless he means for the studios to sell the DVDs to the theaters at a bit of a discount, and let the theater sell them on the spot. I can sorta see that happening.
Old 06-02-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Allow some of these theaters to actually MAKE money, and perhaps they can start upgrading their movie houses to provide a better experience for their customers.
Like not allow anyone between 15 and 25 in with their cellphones?
Old 06-02-05, 05:02 PM

I'd pay more to get a movie while it is still in the theater. I'd rather not wait the three to four months it usually takes on a movie I really like to buy it on DVD.

Paul
Old 06-02-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spanky BananaPants
It's a movie that I didn't want to wait to see, and was willing to put up with that, but if other options were available, I would've taken them.
I don't really understand this. What do you mean you didn't want to wait to see it? Didn't you already wait? Didn't you first hear about this movie 5 or 10 years ago (or more)? If you've already waited that long, what's another 6 months?

Stew
Old 06-03-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, it's not so much surprising that a guy who owns a theater chain would suggest sharing DVD revenues with theater chains.