Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Advent Rising??? Anyone getting it??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-05, 02:05 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Advent Rising??? Anyone getting it??

I am still waiting to see some reviews, but the trailer I saw from this game is awesome. It is supposed to have a very epic story and great action. The game should be in stores tomorrow. Anyone here gonna pick it up??

wlj
Old 05-31-05, 02:28 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.5 stars out of 5: http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/advent-.../620476p1.html

Looks pretty mediocre to me.
Old 05-31-05, 02:54 PM
wlj

crap that sux.

wlj
Old 05-31-05, 11:27 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been really looking forward to this game actually, but it looks like it's a hit or miss title.
Old 06-01-05, 12:23 PM
wlj

IGN gave it a 7.8

**the major problems seem to be framerate and game length(8 to 10 hours).

I want to see what Gamespot and Team Xbox gives it. Its not looking good though.

wlj
Old 06-03-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pretty bad reviews across the board. and no one can seem to agree on whether the flicker targetting is genius or just plain annoying.

I was excited about this title but now I don't even think I'm going to bother with it. :\
Old 06-04-05, 01:16 PM
wlj

all righty then...here are my initial impressions after about 5 hours of gameplay..

First and foremost --- I am having a great time with the game, I do not regret spending the money.

Secondly --- the reviews are pretty accurate about the technical issues--there are quite a bit. The game stutters alot more than it should. I have not had problems "playing" the game from it. During cutscenes on 2 separate occasions, the game froze and I had to restart. Both times the game froze when a cutscene was being loaded -- I have had no freezes during gameplay...knock on wood. I do wish they would have spent a little more time getting these bugs out, but the game is good enough that you can overlook these shortcomings.

Graphics 6/10 -- The cutscenes look great, but the actual in game graphics could use some work. I am playing the game with the HD pack on a 52 inch Widescreen HDTV. I like the art direction in the game...although it is kinda of weird that the character's legs are so long -- gives a kind of unnatural look.

Sound 9/10 -- Superb musical score...bravo. Sound effects and voice acting are top notch. The game could use the 5.1 surround a little better, but it is good.

Control 8/10 -- The flick targeting takes a little getting used to but I like it -- you can switch between surrounding enemies very quickly.

Story 9/10 -- I am very engrossed in the story so far. I definitely can't wait to see what will happen next.

Gameplay 8.5/10 -- Lots of fun. The gunplay is a riot -- you definitely feel like a bad@$$. I love the dual wielding. Don't really know what are the best guns to use -- I seem to be using the aliens weapons the most. Melee is very mediocre and bland --I try to avoid using it. I just got my first two powers -- Lift and Surge ---HOLY COW THE POWERS RULE---THEY ARE ALMOST GOD-LIKE POWERS---can't wait to get the others.

I will give my final impressions once I complete it. I am trying to take my time.

All in all it was a good purchase for me. That doesn't mean it automatically will be a good one for you too, but if you like scifi action with a GREAT story -- you should definitely rent this bad boy at least.

wlj
Old 06-04-05, 04:17 PM

Gamespot gave it a 5.7

"The presentation is a technical nightmare, the story is poorly told, and the modicum of uniqueness the gameplay has to offer is almost completely murdered by sloppy mechanics and a myriad of bugs"

sounds like an unfinished game that was almost there.
Old 06-04-05, 05:08 PM
wlj

Originally Posted by Outlaw
Gamespot gave it a 5.7

"The presentation is a technical nightmare, the story is poorly told, and the modicum of uniqueness the gameplay has to offer is almost completely murdered by sloppy mechanics and a myriad of bugs"

sounds like an unfinished game that was almost there.

while the retail version does have some issues....the reviewers from the major sites reviewed a different two disc version of the game. This was confirmed by TeamXbox.com when they stated that they reviewed the retail version because they did not think it was fair to review something that was not the final product. They gave the game a 7.9. Now I do think Majesco was dumb not to give the reviewers the retail version to review, but that is neither here nor there.

Bottomline it is a solid 8.0 game in my opinion.

wlj
Old 06-04-05, 05:13 PM
wlj

this is interesting.....here is a link to a post made by a Gamespot Forum member who was banned for dissecting Alex Navarro's 5.7 score. That is ridiculous that Gamespot banned him for this -- he makes quite a few interesting points. Well anyway his post that was made on Gamespot Forums was deleted and the banned guy reposted on Advent Rising's Official message boards.
http://majescoentertainment.com/vbul...?threadid=1043

wlj
Old 06-04-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wlj thanks for your opinion. I read the gamespot review and I thought it did make the game sound pretty cool although with some significant flaws which the reviewer obviously couldn't get over (the clashing BGM, cutscenes, flick targetting).. I'll have to see what Edge gives it. They did give Pariah a 7 and were pretty +ve about it.
Old 06-05-05, 09:42 AM
wlj

I am probably about 8 hours in the game now. This will go in my Top Ten games of all time. I have all the powers now, and I am kicking some arse. The story is SUPERB.

wlj
Old 06-05-05, 07:01 PM

To me, the game is so-so...I'll probably finish it out of boredom. Basically, all you do is shoot enemies over and over again in between cutscenes. This sounds cool, but the control is pretty bad, and you never quite feel like you know what is going on, or have any control over anything. I find myself just running to the next cutscene. All in all, if you like the story, it'll be fun...but as a "game", it pretty lame.
Old 06-05-05, 09:54 PM
wlj

Originally Posted by discostu1337
To me, the game is so-so...I'll probably finish it out of boredom. Basically, all you do is shoot enemies over and over again in between cutscenes. This sounds cool, but the control is pretty bad, and you never quite feel like you know what is going on, or have any control over anything. I find myself just running to the next cutscene. All in all, if you like the story, it'll be fun...but as a "game", it pretty lame.

Really??? I find the gameplay alot of fun. I agree that it consists around killing alot of enemies, but with all the guns and powers you can really do that in several different fashions.

wlj
Old 06-06-05, 07:32 AM

wlj, you sure buy a crap loads of games. I thought I was bad but you take the cake on this one. Don't you still have about 10 games that you still need to open. I know I'm waiting to play about 8. I would be a little farther in my collection but I just finished Front Mission 4 that took me over 80 hours.
Old 06-06-05, 01:53 PM
wlj

nah I don't buy that many...but I do have some that aren't finished yet:

Shenmue 2
Predator Concrete Jungle
Psychonauts
Advent Rising(playing this one now)

I usually finish a game and if I don't think I will play it again -- I ebay it and replace it with another game.

wlj