Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Universal Hitchcock Titles to get a rerelease in October? (10/04/05)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-30-05, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over at the www.hometheaterforum.com, someone mentioned that all Hitchcock tiltles (Psycho, Rer Window, Vertigo etc...) are all getting rereleased this October. Is this true? If it is then I guess I'll have to double dip (the movies are too good)although I don't see the point of Universal rereleasing these titles since some of them (especially Psycho and Rear Window) all have great transfers and plenty of extras.

Last edited by Charlie_Chaplin; 06-04-05 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-30-05, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie_Chaplin
Over at the www.thedigitalbits.com, someone mentioned that all Hitchcock tiltles (Psycho, Rer Window, Vertigo etc...) are all getting rereleased this October. Is this true? If it is then I guess I'll have to double dip (the movies are too good)although I don't see the point of Universal rereleasing these titles since some of them (especially Psycho and Rear Window) all have great transfers and plenty of extras.
I couldn't find the reference you mention, what section contains it?

There is no way I'd call the current PSYCHO dvd a great transfer. It's not anamorphic, and the ratio is highly suspect in any case (something closer to full frame is preferable), and WAY too much material is stuffed on the disc for quality's sake (which didn't stop them from leaving out the extra I really wanted, Herrmann's score on an isolated music track....included on the late, late LD release).

If this is actually a remastering, and not another repackaging, it is most welcome, but please, Universal, go for a 2nd disc!

Last edited by unclehulot; 05-30-05 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-30-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
I'm still waiting for anamorphic re-releases on these titles. You know that they will come out in anamorphic versions eventually - and when they do I'll gladly pick them up!
Old 05-30-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd definitely pick up 16.9 enhanced versions of Psycho and Vertigo. Their is no need to rebuy Rear Window,since the current dvd is excellent in every way.

I still have'nt gotten around to buying many other Hitchcock titles. So we'll see what the prices are like on these possible rereleases.

Oh and Psycho is supposed to be 1:85. It was shot fullframe though and matted to widescreen. I think people used to seeing the unmatted version are the ones complaining about the widescreen dvd. I viewed it myself and found no problems at all with the framining,despite seeing it unmatted for years.
Old 05-31-05, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I'd definitely pick up 16.9 enhanced versions of Psycho and Vertigo. Their is no need to rebuy Rear Window,since the current dvd is excellent in every way.

I still have'nt gotten around to buying many other Hitchcock titles. So we'll see what the prices are like on these possible rereleases.

Oh and Psycho is supposed to be 1:85. It was shot fullframe though and matted to widescreen. I think people used to seeing the unmatted version are the ones complaining about the widescreen dvd. I viewed it myself and found no problems at all with the framining,despite seeing it unmatted for years.
I guess I imprinted on that full frame version, but I've also seen it (probably incorrectly) projected theatrically as something less than 1:85.
Old 05-31-05, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just watched Vertigo again, and that could benefit greatly from a new DVD release. I think Psycho looks good personally, but I'm sure I'd give into buying a new one (and those bastards know it).

Rear Window doesn't warrant a rerelease in my opinion, it's a fine disc. I don't own all the Universal ones, so if they released new boxsets I'm sure I'd be tempted to get them all either way.

BTW, aren't they supposed to be releasing all the Alfred Hitchcock Presents sometime?
Old 05-31-05, 02:23 AM

Rear Window: Rearest Edition? Vertigo: A Lot Of Spinning Edition?
Old 05-31-05, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie_Chaplin
Over at the www.thedigitalbits.com, someone mentioned that all Hitchcock tiltles (Psycho, Rer Window, Vertigo etc...) are all getting rereleased this October. Is this true? If it is then I guess I'll have to double dip (the movies are too good)although I don't see the point of Universal rereleasing these titles since some of them (especially Psycho and Rear Window) all have great transfers and plenty of extras.
Can't find it either?! Could you tell us where you found it?
Old 05-31-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if this is true that could be good news...all the universal titles had good making of features...isolated music tracks on psycho...and anamorphic tracks for vertigo and psycho would be great. I would also like to see commentaries across the board...that could get me to repurchase...
Old 05-31-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to see Universal go back to the orange Vertigo cover art as well. But I'd be happy just to get a release on par with Rear Window. Of course, I'd step over my mom for one the quality of North by Northwest, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 06-04-05, 04:33 PM

Would be great to anamorphic transfers for the above mentioned films. I'm a Hitchcock addict, so I'd like some totally over-the-top 4 disc version of Psycho. lol. I think the current discs are pretty good, and they all have good doc's on them, but for Hitchcock any excuse for a 2-disc SE, I'm in favour for. I hope Universal gets around to releasing A.H. Presents Season 1 this year as well. Then of course there's Fox who needs to release Lifeboat NOW! grrrrrr
Old 06-04-05, 05:00 PM

Sorry it's the www.hometheaterforum.com not www.thedigitalbits.com!!! VERY SORRY!!! Go to thread about the bad transfer of "the Birds" it talks all about the new rumoured Hitchcock titles.
Old 06-04-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so at this point its just a rumor...Strange no rumblings beforehand....hope it happens but i doubt it will come to anything....
Old 06-06-05, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
if this is true that could be good news...all the universal titles had good making of features...isolated music tracks on psycho...and anamorphic tracks for vertigo and psycho would be great. I would also like to see commentaries across the board...that could get me to repurchase...
The Psycho DVD did not have an isolated music track - more's the pity.
Old 06-06-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yah ...that reads like this

isolated music tracks on psycho, and anamorphic tracks for vertigo and psycho would be great.
Old 06-06-05, 01:40 PM

I have a dts laserdisc of Vertigo. They should release the dvd anamorphic with the extras and dts. The Region 2 UK Psycho is anamorphic, but it would be nice to have an NTSC version with proper speed with 16:9 enhancement.
Old 06-06-05, 08:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I find it strange that both VERTIGO and PSYCHO were released in the UK in 16:9 enhanced versions.
Some say, i think, for politcal reasons that these are inferior to the US non 16:9;
pehaps true for PSYCHO-but I found VERTIGO to look a good as ormarginally better than the US version
Old 06-06-05, 09:01 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Seashellz
I find it strange that both VERTIGO and PSYCHO were released in the UK in 16:9 enhanced versions.
And you'd think that they'd rerelease them in the US in 16:9... I mean, that's what they did with The Thing, so why not Psycho or Vertigo? That said, I would totally double-dip for Psycho.
Old 06-06-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll get them. I never bought the originals because I always felt the Universal films were overrated. IMHO, the ones Criterion has (and a few Warner ones) are his best.
Old 06-07-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
so at this point its just a rumor...Strange no rumblings beforehand....hope it happens but i doubt it will come to anything....
I totally agree. This was a rumor thrown out with NO supporting evidence and people seem to have run with it. I would love to see something that actually supports this rumor. Of course I already have them anyway and they would have to be pretty special to get me to break my no double dipping rule.

For what it's worth, I believe the original rumor started a long time ago on the Alfred Hitchcock DVD Information Site. It's a wonderful site, but I don't believe there's anything coming or we would have heard something official.

In fact, here's the original rumor from the beginning of the year.
Old 06-07-05, 01:39 AM

Universal titles in Region 2 were put out by Columbia Tristar, who were always supportive of 16:9, which explains why psycho and vertigo are 16:9 in the UK. As far as superior or inferior, the fact that the film is transferred 4% too fast is inferior to me, because all the music sounds wrong. Picturewise, I think the R2 is better, at least for Psycho, which is the only one i have.
Old 06-07-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vertigo is my all time favorite film so I would consider double dipping for that, but I don't have a Widescreen TV so there'd have to be more new other than just an anamorphic transfer
Old 06-14-05, 09:11 AM

Any news on Vertigo or Psycho being re-released anamorphically?
Old 06-14-05, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Cocopugg
Any news on Vertigo or Psycho being re-released anamorphically?
What, in the last 7 days since it was previously decided that this was all speculation?
Old 06-14-05, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by kingtopher
What, in the last 7 days since it was previously decided that this was all speculation?
Oh I didn't know, I just read the thread and figured it was going to happen. I didn't realize someone would come here and create a false thread. Why doesn't someone delete this thread and others like it, so that people like myself won't get their hopes up?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.