Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Green Wing (BBCA) - Anyone watching this hospital comedy? (slight spoilers)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think Scrubs meets The Office meets Office Space meets Grey's Anatomy... Then throw all those out the window, because Green Wing is very much it's own creature.

This is a pretty wacky show, but it is pretty good.

A female doctor starts a new job at a hospital (without having had a shower,) and encounters a very strange group of characters: (forgive me if I get some of the staff positions wrong.)

The head of the hospital is a sex-crazed nympho who is obsessed with staying young.

Her "secret" lover is the head of radiology, and is a pompous, neurotic laughingstock.

There is a good-looking head surgeon, who considers himself above everyone else.

Guy is an anethesiologist, who is a skirt-chasing jackass.

Then there is the very strange Scottish woman in charge of logistics (or something... she is responsible for name tags, among other things.)

There is a nerdy character who is willing to try anything to 'score' like Guy.

Finally, there are the clerical workers. One girl weighs her breasts on the hospital scales, one is a working mom who is always forgetting her kids (or her skirt,) and there are a few other off-the-wall characters, as well.
Old 05-31-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We watched the first 2 episodes of this, and it is pretty interesting. Good if you like britcoms of anysort.

The odd part is that that "secret" lover reminds me so much of John Cleese back in the Monty Python days it is scary. His Doppleganger stuck in character in a sitcom! Maybe it is just how all English men look?!

It has some potential, would like to know the ratings in England. My PVR records it 3 times (damn non Tivo/ReplayTV !! ) It is on Thursday evenings first run I thinks.

The speed up and back to normal speed filming/effect they do is not always good, it gets kind of annoying sometimes.

All in all I like the show, this and Doctor Who are some of the only new shows that are on TV thanks to Summer break and thanks to BBC.
Old 05-31-05, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check it out.

ETA : Holy schnikies! This has the chicks from Coupling and Black Books and the dude from Keen Eddie and Swingers in it? AWESOME!

Last edited by boredsilly; 05-31-05 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-31-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the heads up - I'll have to check this out.
Old 05-31-05, 12:34 PM

Is this on the second season yet? I watched the first season last year and was hoping they renewed it?
Old 05-31-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I tried watching the first ep, but the “wacky” editing was so overdone that it took me right out of the show. Kinda like Ang Lee’s Hulk movie.

Scrubs does it and get away with it, but only because it doesn’t call so much attention to itself.
Old 05-31-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I've seen a couple episodes and enjoy it. I wouldn't say it is as good as scrubs, the office or office space, but it is worth watching. I find the men on the show to be a lot funnier than the women (except for the blonde getting it on with the John Cleese guy).
Old 06-01-05, 04:35 AM

it has been renewed, so a second series will be with you a wee while after its aired here.

and the "the john cleese guy" is played by the brilliant mark heaps, who is also brian in spaced.

the show did well here with much critical acclaim. although the show does have one thing that bugs me, not enough sarah alexandra.

another little bit of info about the show that will probably not surprise you, is that a fair amount of the scenes are improvised.
Old 06-01-05, 02:57 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
I tivoed the 1st ep, but somehow it missed the 2nd. frick!
Old 06-12-05, 10:07 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
This show is great. Not enough sarah from Coupling...
Old 06-13-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Been DVRing this, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.
Old 06-13-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just finished watching the entire series last week and I gotta say I love this show. It is so wrong and unapologetic. Plus they do a lot of great things with breasts that you wouldn't expect to see in a tv show (the scale scene is a favorite).

I read a review of the show that says it plays like a sketch show and that is a perfect summation of GW. But there is a sweet storyline that weaves the eps together a bit. I cared about the "good" characters and loved hating the "bastards" (which was about 90 % of the cast). Can't wait for the dvds.

Thanks again to the OP for pointing this little gem out.
Old 06-14-05, 09:04 AM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I've seen a few episodes, and I like the counselor, she's great. She reminds me a little of Heather Graham when she was in scrubs.
Old 06-27-05, 11:35 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
This just keeps getting better and better!
Old 06-27-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am so far not impressed with this show.
Old 06-28-05, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally got aqround to viewing a few episodes. I'm a bit of a BBCophile, and I like this show, but not as much as I thought I would. It may grow on me though, as it is pretty funny and the actors are quite good. I will also second (or third or whatever) being really annoyed by the very much overdone speed changes, to the point that it really wrecks the comedy mood at times.
Old 06-28-05, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Finally got aqround to viewing a few episodes. I'm a bit of a BBCophile, and I like this show, but not as much as I thought I would. It may grow on me though, as it is pretty funny and the actors are quite good. I will also second (or third or whatever) being really annoyed by the very much overdone speed changes, to the point that it really wrecks the comedy mood at times.
How many eps have you watched so far? That drove me crazy at first, but then I kinda stopped seeing it or it melded with the show (now sure which). I also didn't really get into the show until episode 5 or 6 when you start to see a story taking form. Not saying this is what will happen with you, but I think it's safe to assume you or anyone will like the show more towards the end than at the beginning.
Old 06-28-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly
How many eps have you watched so far? That drove me crazy at first, but then I kinda stopped seeing it or it melded with the show (now sure which). I also didn't really get into the show until episode 5 or 6 when you start to see a story taking form. Not saying this is what will happen with you, but I think it's safe to assume you or anyone will like the show more towards the end than at the beginning.
What you are saying is quite possible. I have watched three episodes now (missed the start of the series) and am now getting into the storyline groove. And though it is less jarring than at first, the effects still bug me. It's the sped up/normal/sped up/normal/slowed down/normal/sped up/normal in a span of about eight seconds. Once in a while might be a cool effect, but there's just too much.