Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I Finally got my Big Screen... questions about clean power, cables, etc.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

Well, as many of you know, I had planed on getting the Mitsubishi WS-65315 for a while now... I still planned on waiting a while, but this morning that changed. I woke up to my Wife dragging me out of bed saying, "Let's go get the big screen.... I want it now!". Needless to say, I agreed....haha. She Rocks! Anyhow, I get it delivered on Monday (plus, I am off that day for the holiday - bonus!)

I ended up using a 10% discount coupon and my double reward zone points coupon.... Nice!

Later,

Matt
Old 05-28-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweeeeeet. Turn the contrast and color way down (probably a bit less than 50% will be about right), converge it, and head on over to hometheaterspot to get the service menu tweaks to adjust overscan and linearize the grid. The picture will be awesome! Mitsubishi rptv's rule... $^)
Old 05-28-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Congrats Matt, which DVD you gonna watch on it first?
Old 05-28-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerQ
Hey all,

Well, as many of you know, I had planed on getting the Mitsubishi WS-65315 for a while now... I still planned on waiting a while, but this morning that changed. I woke up to my Wife dragging me out of bed saying, "Let's go get the big screen.... I want it now!". Needless to say, I agreed....haha. She Rocks! Anyhow, I get it delivered on Monday (plus, I am off that day for the holiday - bonus!)

I ended up using a 10% discount coupon and my double reward zone points coupon.... Nice!

Later,

Matt
You figured out the trick! Talk about something your SO has no interest in. Talk about daily, weekly till they get so tired of hearing about it they tell you to just go buy it! Then it is their idea! Perfect....
Old 05-28-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sdallnct....

Hahah, funny. She was sick of hearing about it -- HOWEVER, she wanted it almost as bad as me - so that's a bonus. Were like that on most things...

I plan on adjusting the TV as soon as I get it -- however, i have a hard time paying for membership to a forum where i can get info...

Later,

Matt!
Old 05-28-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New Surge Protector -- Is "Clean Power" really worth it?

Hey all,

For my new bigscreen, i just bought a CyberPower 880 (http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/surge880.htm). Now, it's rated at 2800 Joules, which is more than even the double priced Monster Protectors. Now, i know that when it comes to protection, this cyberpower will do JUST fine given the specs. Am i correct in assumming that? However, the only thing that i can see that the monster strip has going for it is the "clean power" stint they try and market.

Now, i thought that all decent protectors would, in some way or another, filter out bad power noise. Is this correct? or does monster actually have some technology that will make my TV have a better picture, and my system have better sound with this "clean power" deal?

I feel confident with my purchase, but feedback is always nice...

Matt
Old 05-28-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey...

Do you gusy recommend that i call BestBuy out within the first couple weeks to to gun adjustment? I mean, it did drive around a lot, and it did get put together in the basement.... just a thought...

Matt
Old 05-28-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's a CRT, right? It should really be broken in before bothering with a calibration, otherwise you'll just need to do it again in a couple months. 100 hours minimum, I think is what people recommend. And I wouldn't recommend calling BB out to do anything. Maybe look here for somebody local: http://www.imagingscience.com/
Old 05-28-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good point,

However, I was just concerned that it may be all out of whack from the move -- and be REALLY off... But, i guess this stuff goes on all the time (people having CRT's delivered), and they seem to survive - so they may not be as sensitive to the move as i imagined...

Thanks,

Matt
Old 05-29-05, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with Spikey. Do not call BB unless something is broken. Moving an RPTV is no big deal. How do you think they're shipped. In the beginning until it settles in you'll want to adjust your advanced convergence weekly. If it looks out of whack as you say it might need focusing which you can learn how to do yourself. I also second a Spot paid membership. It's definitely worth it for what you can learn and to help keep the site running so you can continue to learn in the future. I mean where else is there such a dedicated collection of pro calibrators sharing their insight and knowledge with us ordinary people.
Old 05-29-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Acoustic Research v.s. Monster component cables

Hello..

I have searched, but not found a direct comparison of these two porducts....

I need to hook my Panasonic RP-82 to my new Mits WS-65315. I am going to use Component cables.... Now, I have always been very happy with AR (Acoustic Research) cables in the past. However, the man at best buy told be that if i didn't purchase the $69 Monster component cables that I was defeating the entire purpose of my new TV. That monster cables have centered wiring and that the AR wired are based in copper and will corrode, and loose Picture Quality over time..... What do you think about this.

Has anyone ever done a direct comparison and noticed a difference?

Matt
Old 05-29-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I mean, If it really does "clean" the power and it has makes a difference, then that's a different story -- but other than that it's hard to pay more for that feature....

Any comments?

Matt
Old 05-29-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My suggestion would be to do a search on how intelligent and honest best buy employees are, and how highly regarded and fairly priced monster cables are.

Hint:
Spoiler:
You'll probably be just as hapy with AR, and you'll save money.
Old 05-29-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bingo!
Old 05-29-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts
The BB in my area also carries AR. I simply refuse to buy anything with the Monster Cable name on it. Besides, if there is an Ultimate Electronics in your area, it has likely already started its going out of business sale and you could pick up some Monster Cable at 15% or more off (depending on where they are at on their sale).

Stick to your AR or anything else...
Old 05-29-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ya know,

I noticed that target sells these "Monster Standard" cables. They look like knock-offs of monster. are they?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I mean, they look awful similar to these ones from bestbuy, which are 3 times more expensive, but the logo positioning is different...

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US...5414205_ra.jpg
Interesting.....

Last edited by KillerQ; 05-29-05 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-29-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Monster is overpriced. Monster Standard is their attempt at garnering even more sad sack customers by selling at Target type stores. Those particular 2 you listed are probably different cable types inside, but probably not anywhere near 3x price different in reality.

AR cables are easily the equivalent of Monster, but much cheaper. The salesman was lying his ass off or has been lied to and believed it. That crap about the copper was a bald-faced lie/error, since Monster uses mostly copper too. It's one of the best conductors of electricity and cheap enough that it is the best choice for cables.

Most Monster video cables are RG-59, which is mediocre cable at best. If you think you need to spend more, try a place that makes RG-6 component cables like Blue Jeans Cable on the web. But if you have decent AR cables and the distance is under 30', you are doing just fine. If you want to get crazy like me, go to belden.com, learn about cable technology (specs and why some are better than others) and start making your own. Note the word crazy.
Old 05-31-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey all,

Yea, I couldn't see myself steering away from Pioneer. I loved my old one too much.... So I ended up getting the Pioneer VSX-515-K with 6.1 surround. SO far, so good.

Quick question though. I know that with a 5.1 receiver and a 5.1 speakers, if you play a DTS 6.1 dvd, the sound that would have been in the rear-center will simply come out of the L and R rears instead - so you at least still hear it.

Now, with my new 6.1 receiver, if I do not have a rear-center speaker yet, will i still hear the 6th channel split between the 2 rears?

Also, I have to read on how to put it into 6.1 mode. There's a button for DVD 5.1 but oddly enough, no plain view button for 6.1

Also, if i am extending speaker wire, i usually strip the wire, twist them together, then wrap it in electrical tape. Would there be a noticable difference in sound if i used a wire nut? I'm not sure how touchy speaker wire is when it comes to this...

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks for the advice,

Matt
Old 05-31-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always splice with a crimp of some sort, much better connection than just twisting. Solder is also an option.

If you turn off the 6th channel in speaker setup, it should not allow you to select DTS-ES or DD-EX modes. So it would work like a 5.1 receiver. The "DVD 5.1" button is probably just to put it into some sort of auto-sensing surround. This should pick DTS or DD with the correct number of channels for you. At least, I assume so, I am not familiar with how Pioneer's work, but they are all fairly alike in this regard.
Old 06-01-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey all,

I just got a new Mitsubishi WS-65315. I have a Panasonic RP-82 DVD player connected via Component. Now, From what I understand, using the progressive scan option on the dvd player, and having the TV display a 480p native resolution would be the best picture (without controversial upconversion). I just have to set my player to progressive, and make sure my TV is in 480 mode -- right? Are those basic settings, or do they have to be set? I haven't had time tim play with it yet -- I just wanted to see if anyone knew... It looks like my tv does 480i, 480p, and 1080i natively. here's the exact spec sheet:

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/common/getfile.asp?uuid={E9CE63FC-C668-412B-B071-2B63E2764D8D}

Thanks,

Matt
Old 06-01-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

480p and 1080i are native. Anything below 480p will likely be converted to 480p, anything higher likely is converted to 1080i.
Old 06-01-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Feed it 480i and it displays as 480p using the internal line doubler. Feed it 480p and it displays it natively. Feed it 1080i and it display it natively. Feed it 720p and you get no up or down conversion just a garbled screen.
Old 06-01-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info....

Sounds good to me -- however, even if i wanted to, where would i get a 720p feed from? 720i?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 06-01-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

720p = some Xbox HD games or from a HD STB set to output at 720p instead of 1080i.
Old 06-01-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It doesn't convert 720p to 1080i? How silly! Sorry for the mistake.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.