Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please help me with a Malata problem?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 05-26-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received today my first region free player. It's a Malata (806, I think the model number is) and I was really talked into by the people at HKFlix. I was looking at some JVCs in the 150 range and they told me that this model actually had fewer problems and complaints and was less money.

I have a small home theater system, so I didn't need anything special anyway.

I only had one non region 1 dvd, because I'd never had a reason to get any others with no region free player. The one I have is a concert dvd, which I just had to have and was settling for watching it on my computer. It's region 0 PAL.

So I hooked it up with the coaxial out for sound and just regular rcas out for picture until I can get another s-video. There is only one component out and I use that for my Sony.

The picture looked great but the concert would skip at certain points throughout the songs in the concert. Like it was struggling to read the audio signal. I have over 500 dvds and I usually know the sign of a defective disc. It would struggle at one point or a few points and play fine the rest of the time OR it wouldn't work at all, so it doesn't seem like a defective disc. This problem occured randomly throughout the entire concert. 15 seconds would go by fine and then one skip and then 45 seconds and 2 quick skips. Like that throughout.

I went to the special features which has videos and interviews in 2.0, which defaults to pro logic and there was that same struggling with the audio. Like it wasn't decoding the audio properly. Can that be the speed up thing that I've read about with PAL?

The set up menus are beyond confusing and like none other I've ever seen on my old JVC or my 2 Sonys. There is a dolby setup page with Dual Mono as one choice and that has branches for choosing Stereo, L-Mono, R-Mono, and Mix-Mono. I don't get that at all. The other thing on the menu is a Dynamic choice which talks about full compression or lower levels of compression.

Then there us an audio menu that talks about downmix, LT/RT and Stereo.

There is also a main page with a setting choice for SPIDIF. You can choose off, RAW, and PCM.

There is nothing this complicated on my other dvd players. You choose dolby digital on or on on the Sonys and everything is taken care of. The decoder on my home theater works perfectly.

Right after the problem with the PAL concert, I put in a region 1 NTSC concert dvd, and from all the complicated menu choices that maybe I didn't get right, I have been listening to this concert dvd for over 20 minutes and there has been NO skipping. Wouldn't this suggest the problem is the player dealing with the PAL?

Anyone know what I might do?

Thanks.
Old 05-26-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just in case this helps anyone who might be able to suggest what the problem is, it doesn't "seem" to do the skipping when it playing just into my tv through all 3 rca jacks.

I don't have any idea what this suggests about what's happening when it was having problems going through the 5.1 or the Pro logic on my receiver.

All the audio is going through the very basic stereo channels and it's MUCH harder to even tell if that light skip is there because all the sound is coming from basically the same place-the front of my tv.

When it was spread out over 3 front and 2 rear channels it was much more clear and I could hear the skipping.

Does this possibly suggest the settings on the dvd player for play through a receiver aren't right? I don't get that, though, because with these same setting I played a region 1 NTSC dvd and there was NO skipping at all either and this was with the receiver.

Help...please.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you tried cleaning the disc? You could also try asking in the international forum about this particular disc, perhaps it has had problems for many people.

I have several PAL discs and have never noticed this with my older Malata. The speedup does not make the audio skip.

Last edited by Spiky; 05-27-05 at 10:28 AM.