Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will we see Special Editions of the Prequels?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has Lucas indicated anything.

I heard him say that he looking forward to have all movies in one large 6 DVD box set. He didn't talk about extras or anything like that.
Old 05-26-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm gonna go ahead and say yes. He's at least going to replace TPM Yoda with the CGI I think.
Old 05-26-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which ones? there is going to be like 5 versions of them.

There is going to be the PT boxed set. Then the PT and OT together boxed set. Then the PT with the missing scenes. Then the PT with new CGI the way GL really meant it. Then one big set to rule them all with all new actors and every single scene that was ever filmed and others that existed only on paper digitally spliced back into the movies because the actors GL wanted weren't alive when he filmed the movies.
Old 05-26-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
which ones? there is going to be like 5 versions of them.

There is going to be the PT boxed set. Then the PT and OT together boxed set. Then the PT with the missing scenes. Then the PT with new CGI the way GL really meant it. Then one big set to rule them all with all new actors and every single scene that was ever filmed and others that existed only on paper digitally spliced back into the movies because the actors GL wanted weren't alive when he filmed the movies.
Old 05-26-05, 12:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
oh for the love of pete, please no.
Old 05-26-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think without a doubt. He's already made changes to the original DVDs -- Episode I + II both differ from their theatrical versions.

I imagine that III will also be slightly different on DVD.

And you know that he wants to go back and 'fix' Yoda in Episode I. And probably other stuff. I think that he'll honestly never been done messing with these.
Old 05-26-05, 01:48 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I'll be buying them

Might pay to hold onto the versions you have now as they could be worth something later on.
Old 05-26-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
You know, if it means a mega extended edition of Episode III with every single thing that was cut from the theatrical edition back in, I'll buy the mega boxset. Besides, I've given up all hope of ever seeing the unaltered OT in anything other than LD or VHS. Plus, if I never complained about Kubrick's constant tinkering with his films, I have no right to complain about Lucas doing the same. And, as bboisvert mentioned, Episode I and EPisode II are already altered in their DVD versions so further altering for Episode III and possibly IV, V, and VI is pretty much a given.
Old 05-26-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh...the only thing I can think that needs changing is the Yoda puppet...other than that he has not been restricted by technology and these films are his vision.
Old 05-26-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think anyone is buying that the reasons Lucas tinkered with the OT was because of technical limitations. What technical limitation caused Han to shoot first? What technical limitation prevented them from dubbing "NOOOOO!" as Luke fell in ESB?

Sure, that may have been the reason some things were different than he wanted. He had to make compromises when filming. For instance, Jaba looked poor when originally shot, so he took out that scene and substituted the Geedo scene. Now with the SE Lucas "fixed" that by shoehorning the now entirely redundant scene back in, and destroying the pacing in the process. Meanwhile, he didn't even bother to fix Obi's shoddy lightsaber during the Vader Duel.
Old 05-26-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
Eh...the only thing I can think that needs changing is the Yoda puppet...other than that he has not been restricted by technology and these films are his vision.
Lucas's "vision" changes though, doesn't it? His vision in 1977 isn't the same as it was in 1997. And that "vision" isn't the same as it was in 2004.

His vision of Episode I theatrical is different than his vision of Episode I DVD. And the same for Episode II. Etc.

There are a lot of changes that have been made for reasons other than technology limitations... and I'd expect we have more in store going forward.
Old 05-26-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
Well I'll be buying them

Might pay to hold onto the versions you have now as they could be worth something later on.
Doubtful. There's millions and millions of them.

I do want a new TPM disk. One with a good picture!
Old 05-26-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Lucas's "vision" changes though, doesn't it? His vision in 1977 isn't the same as it was in 1997. And that "vision" isn't the same as it was in 2004.

His vision of Episode I theatrical is different than his vision of Episode I DVD. And the same for Episode II. Etc.

There are a lot of changes that have been made for reasons other than technology limitations... and I'd expect we have more in store going forward.
Well I was just referencing the PT. As far as the changes in the DVD's I thought that was time constraints and having to get the movie finished in time for release. Anyway maybe he will keep on revising both Trilogies...he just has that in his blood....I don't think he ever sees a film as completed.
Old 05-26-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it the mega release...he'd also get rid of the tiny inconsistincies...like the scrawl on Empire.
Old 05-26-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
Well I'll be buying them

Speak for yourself.

I know I am here but the only way I will be any Star Wars boxset is if the true OT is included. I haven't bought any prequel and did not but the Special Editions' OT. I would actually own (gulp) TPM and AOTC (both which I despise) for a copy of a remastered OT. I still have yet to see ROTS but I am in no hurry.

I know it is said it will never happen but hey...look how often Lucas has changed his mind since 1975. It could happen...[/I]You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...[I]
Old 05-27-05, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by wmansir
For instance, Jaba looked poor when originally shot, so he took out that scene and substituted the Geedo scene.
Jabba was also a human when that scene was filmed, not a gigantic slug.
Old 05-27-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Duder
Jabba was also a human when that scene was filmed, not a gigantic slug.
He wasn't going to remain human, though. The idea was to animate over the human actor in post-production with some sort of alien form. But it wasn't working well, and they were out of time and money, so that's why the scene was cut.
Old 05-27-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think without a doubt. He's already made changes to the original DVDs -- Episode I + II both differ from their theatrical versions.
Yeah, but those can't really be called SEs. They include a couple of very minor cut scenes, and one of those in Episode II was not actually a cut scene. It was in the digital showing.
Old 05-27-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Speak for yourself.

I know I am here but the only way I will be any Star Wars boxset is if the true OT is included. I haven't bought any prequel and did not but the Special Editions' OT. I would actually own (gulp) TPM and AOTC (both which I despise) for a copy of a remastered OT. I still have yet to see ROTS but I am in no hurry.

I know it is said it will never happen but hey...look how often Lucas has changed his mind since 1975. It could happen...[/I]You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...[I]

HA HA, looks like you won't be getting a boxset.
Old 05-27-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If someone was 12 when he was Ep I in the theater he’d be 18 today.

So if Lucas SE’d Ep I with a new CGI Yoda (among other things) would these 18 year olds be crying “Lucas raped my child hood”
Old 05-28-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Class316
If someone was 12 when he was Ep I in the theater he’d be 18 today.

So if Lucas SE’d Ep I with a new CGI Yoda (among other things) would these 18 year olds be crying “Lucas raped my child hood”
Lol. That is hilarious!!!!!