Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

can a subwoofer go on top of a speaker?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just moved and redoing my entertainment room around my 51' toshiba... i currently have 2 big dj-type speakers that go to the left/right of the tv.. i'm trying to decide where to put the subwoofer.. i know it should go near the couch, but i'm thinking about putting it on top of the speaker.... would that be a waste?
Old 05-26-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the best place for a subwoofer was in a corner, and the next place was on the floor next to a wall. I've never heard that it should be placed next to the couch. Aren't they omni directional? Is your subwoofer one of those buttkickers or whatever they're called that shake your bootie when you're watching a movie? I probably wouldn't put it on top of a speaker though.
Old 05-26-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by karnblack
I thought the best place for a subwoofer was in a corner, and the next place was on the floor next to a wall. I've never heard that it should be placed next to the couch. Aren't they omni directional? Is your subwoofer one of those buttkickers or whatever they're called that shake your bootie when you're watching a movie? I probably wouldn't put it on top of a speaker though.

it's kind of a low grade powered sub.. i just don't want to run visable cable all over my room
Old 05-26-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The best place for a less powerful sub is the corner. The best place for a boomy sub is probably not the corner. Since this sounds like a "less powerful, boomy" sub, anywhere it fits!

But seriously, every room is different. The "best" spot would have to be determined with trial and error. And that may not fit your decor, so often whatever is most convenient wins out, anyway.

On top of the speaker probably wouldn't affect the sub's sound too much, if you have it crossed over low enough, but you might have vibration issues. Can't it go right next to the speaker or behind it? Subs can often go right up against a wall with no audible detriment, as long as it is calibrated for the position.
Old 05-26-05, 02:13 PM

Sounds like a bad idea to me. For one thing, a sub is not magnetically shielded and usually generates a considerable magnetic field. You want to keep it away from everything else electronic.

Also, depending on the equipment and its physical proximity, a sub could induce oscillation in the speaker cone of a nearby satellite, causing distortion.

Third, as mentioned, it will probably compromise the effectiveness of the sub itself.

RichC
Old 05-26-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so how do you guys run the wire in your house for the sub?
Old 05-26-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know, Rich. I think most low-end subs are shielded. But it still isn't a great idea.

My sub will be in front and my rack is in back. I am running wires along the side wall. Not sure yet how to hide them. Maybe just some wire loom, that wall is mostly hidden by a couch anyway.
Old 05-28-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
If it is a powered unit, I would start by putting to the sub closest to an electrical outlet. It is much easier to hide a single RCA type cable then a largish power cord. You will only have so many electrical outlets to work with and you will eliminate some of them quickly.

Obviously the easiest is to put the sub right next to your equipment. Short runs, little cable to hide.

Next try putting on the same wall as your equipment then depending on the construction of your home, you may be able to push (carefully) the RCA cable down "under" the baseboard molding. This can work if you have carpet as the tack strips for the carpet are usually an inch or so away from the wall and baseboards typically do not sit on the floor.

You can also do the whole running up the wall in the attic and down the wall next to your equipment thing. It is not hard just takes a little patience.
Old 05-28-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hah! You haven't seen my RCA cables.

That's a good thought about hiding it under the molding or carpet. That often works for just a couple wires.