Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez's new film: Grind House

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

from the Hollywood Reporter:

Tarantino, Rodriguez set to 'Grind' together

LOS ANGELES - Miramax Films golden children Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez are teaming up to make a film for the new company established by the studio's founders, Bob and Harvey Weinstein.

Tarantino and Rodriguez will each write and direct a 60-minute horror film, and the two films will be packaged under the title "Grind House," which is planned for a spring 2006 release through the Weinstein Co.

It also will include its own trailers, bonus materials and added extras from other filmmakers that will be packaged together between the two horror flicks in a tribute to the old, big-city movie houses like those on New York's 42nd Street that earned the moniker grindhouses for programing genre pictures back to back.

Tarantino, whose 1994 thriller "Pulp Fiction" helped turn Miramax into a powerhouse, sampled grindhouse genres in his recent "Kill Bill" films. He said "Grind House" could be the first in a series of films. Rodriguez' "Spy Kids" movies have been a lucrative franchise for Miramax's Dimension arm.

The Weinsteins also set release dates for 13 other features, beginning with "Derailed, a suspense thriller directed by Mikael Hafstrom ("Evil") and starring Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston. A co-production with the Walt Disney Studios, it will open as a wide release Oct. 21, marking the official launch of the Weinsteins' new company as a theatrical distributor.

Last week at Cannes, the Weinsteins announced they have secured an equity investment and interim debt financing from Goldman Sachs & Co. as well as commitments from Franco-Tunisian producer and financier Tarak Ben Ammar.

The Weinstein Co. will distribute its theatrical releases itself. The Weinsteins are in discussions with several distributors to handle international theatrical, home entertainment and television distribution. Miramax Films owner Disney will handle the international distribution for all of the projects that are co-productions between Disney and the Weinstein Co.
Old 05-26-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
Sounds cool, but who knows if it will ever come to fruition.
Old 05-26-05, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm there!
Old 05-26-05, 02:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It also will include its own trailers, bonus materials and added extras from other filmmakers that will be packaged together between the two horror flicks in a tribute to the old, big-city movie houses like those on New York's 42nd Street that earned the moniker grindhouses for programing genre pictures back to back.
GuessWho's going to pitch a fit.

As for this movie, 90% of anything "announced" by Tarantino and/or Rodgriguez turns out to be vaporware, so there's a good chance this one will be too.
Old 05-26-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This is close enough and simple enough that I definitely see it happening. I bet QT will get the 2nd movie so people don't walk out.
Old 05-26-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
This is close enough and simple enough that I definitely see it happening. I bet QT will get the 2nd movie so people don't walk out.
After Sin City, I see no reason why people would walk out of a Robert Rodriguez film.
Old 05-26-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I'll belive it when I see it. That's all I'm going to say for now.
Old 05-26-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by automator
After Sin City, I see no reason why people would walk out of a Robert Rodriguez film.

Exactly. If it happens, of course I'm first in line.

= J
Old 05-26-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I assume these will be in more of an action/monster vein, like From Dusk till Dawn, than the suspense/horror that seem to be popular now a days.

I see a reason, called Once Upon a Time in Mexico. I like Rodriguez, but for me he has clearly shown that he can make good films and bad ones too.
Old 05-26-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I'll check this movie right when it comes out. Then I'll head over to Best Buy and pick up the Unrated DVDs of Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 and the Director's Cut of Sin City. Yep, that's what I'll do!
Old 05-27-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

good idea....hope to see it
Old 05-27-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wmansir
I see a reason, called Once Upon a Time in Mexico. I like Rodriguez, but for me he has clearly shown that he can make good films and bad ones too.
I would've mentioned Spy Kids 3D as that came out first; but yes, both films were terrible.
Old 05-28-05, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Cool idea, if it really happens (I hope it does). Wonder why the title is "Grind House" instead of "Grindhouse"?
Old 05-29-05, 07:39 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I hope you can still say that after seeing SHARK BOY & LAVA GIRL.
Old 05-29-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scott shelton
I hope you can still say that after seeing SHARK BOY & LAVA GIRL.
I hardly think Shark Boy & Lava Girl shares an audience with this project, while Sin City obviously does.
Old 05-29-05, 07:46 PM

I hardly think Shark Boy & Lava Girl shares an audience with this project, while Sin City obviously does.
Whatevs. You wrote "Robert Rodriguez film." I didn't.
Old 05-29-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sin City was storyboarded and written by someone else. I wouldn't attribute the full or even a majority of the success of Sin City to Rodriguez.
Old 05-30-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I might have to walk out if "Grind House" has voice over narration
that never shuts up.
Old 05-30-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm sure the Spy Kids crowd won't be walking out of Shark Boy & Lava Girl... And I'm sure the Sin City/From Dusk Till Dawn crowd won't walk on Grind House...

This sounds like some cool shit! It worked well when Romero & Argento did Two Evil Eyes. I'll be there.
Old 05-30-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
As for this movie, 90% of anything "announced" by Tarantino and/or Rodgriguez turns out to be vaporware, so there's a good chance this one will be too.
Yea. I got excited about Inglorious Bastards, and then the Mandarin martial arts film.

I'll wait for some production stills.
Old 05-30-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Sin City was storyboarded and written by someone else. I wouldn't attribute the full or even a majority of the success of Sin City to Rodriguez.
Originally Posted by scott shelton
Whatevs. You wrote "Robert Rodriguez film." I didn't.
Alright. Robert Rodriguez sucks. Sin City sucked. This movie will suck. Glad you guys clued me in before I wasted $8 on this piece of shit.
Old 05-31-05, 01:55 PM

Alright. Robert Rodriguez sucks. Sin City sucked. This movie will suck. Glad you guys clued me in before I wasted $8 on this piece of shit.

Slow down, cowboy. I liked SIN CITY, and I'm looking forward to this film.

I'm just saying that Rodriguez is fallible after SIN CITY, and when you see SHARK BOY you'll understand.
Old 06-01-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I probably won't see SHARK BOY because I'm an adult w/o kids but I get your point.

We probably both can agree that this film has a helluva lot of potential to be really good or really bad. My point was that Sin City and Kill Bill will most likely get people in the door.

Last edited by automator; 06-01-05 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-07-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Book news:

www.troublemakerpublishing.com

"COMING SUMMER 2006...
GRIND HOUSE: THE SLEAZE-FILLED SAGA OF AN EXPLOITATION DOUBLE FEATURE
by Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez

This 250 page hardcover companion book to GRIND HOUSE offers fans an insider’s look into the making of the hotly anticipated double feature by Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez. Filled with cast and crew interviews, hundreds of full-color photographs, never-before-seen conceptual art and an in-depth history of the grindhouse genre by the directors themselves, GRIND HOUSE: THE SLEAZE FILLED SAGA OF AN EXPLOITATION DOUBLE FEATURE is the essential fan’s guide to the two-fisted bloodbath of the year."
Old 12-07-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The SIN CITY book was great, I'm sure this won't disappoint.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.