Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Should we be thanking Spielberg for ROTS?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure, he didn't direct it but he still had a hand in it. And Revenge of the Sith was miles above the last 2 prequels which Spielberg had nothing to do with. I think Spielberg deserves some credit for how good ROTS turned out to be.
Old 05-25-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some credit, maybe. But thanking him for it as a whole? I don't think so.
Old 05-25-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You really are anti lucas, aren't you?

Lets all thank QT for Sin City..
Old 05-26-05, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
You really are anti lucas, aren't you?

Lets all thank QT for Sin City..
Lol, well I plan on thanking Spielberg for Scarface so I thought I'd ask if it was appropiate to thank for him for ROTS as well.

And I'm not anti-Lucas, I'm just suprised by how good ROTS was.
Old 05-26-05, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we should be thanking Spielberg a bit. It seemed to me some of the battle sequences through out the movie were just a little more crisp and involved than the previous two sequels. Whether this was Spielberg's hand or not I don't know but since he was there.....but can you see a senario where Spielberg helps you with one scene and Lucas gives him the boot? I think Spielberg was around the set a bit on this one.

And no, I don't have anything against Lucas. But I do believe he finished up the Star Wars series in part to have the extra cash to finance his "art films" in the future. That's his right and it let me enjoy the Star Wars experience that much longer.
Old 05-26-05, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

IMO, had Spielberg been the one directing all the Star Wars movies, they would have turned out much better than Lucas' versions. I still love them, but I'd take my chances with Spielberg over Lucas any day.
Old 05-26-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
I was unaware that Spielberg had anything to do with ROTS. What was his involvment?
Old 05-26-05, 09:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I was unaware that Spielberg had anything to do with ROTS. What was his involvment?
the only scene I know about was the finale duel between Luke and Obi wan
Old 05-26-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
He directed that scene?

I was wondering if he was a co-producer on the movie or something. Was he some kind of 'creative consultant'? This is the first I've heard that he had anything to do with ROTS. Where was this written about?

Does Spielberg have a credit on the movie?
Old 05-26-05, 10:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
He directed that scene?

I was wondering if he was a co-producer on the movie or something. Was he some kind of 'creative consultant'? This is the first I've heard that he had anything to do with ROTS. Where was this written about?

Does Spielberg have a credit on the movie?
actually no he didn't direct the scene, but he had alot of creative ideas and input into that scene.
Old 05-26-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
IMO, had Spielberg been the one directing all the Star Wars movies, they would have turned out much better than Lucas' versions. I still love them, but I'd take my chances with Spielberg over Lucas any day.
I can agree with that. I wish Lucas had turned over directing reigns for the first movie especially.
Old 05-26-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Some interviews state that Lucas give him a scene to direct, but I'm going to jump to the assumption that he was just in there offering creative feedback on how scenes played out.
Old 05-26-05, 05:00 PM
Retired

No, we should thank Lucas for getting more help. Taking advice from Spielberg, bringing in an acting coach, getting help with the script, etc.
Old 05-26-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lucas=great writer and producer
Lucas as a director=very average
Old 05-26-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Steven Spielberg visited the set of Episode I, as seen on the Episode I documentary. I guess it was all his fault Episode I turned out the way it did.
Old 05-26-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
the only scene I know about was the finale duel between Luke and Obi wan
Dammit! These deleted scenes are really getting out of hand! I would have loved to see that!

Old 05-27-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This thread is sad. Its simple if you love Star Wars you have Lucas to thank. If you don't get over it. Sith is amazing and Lucas did a fantastic job. One of the reasons its so good, is that it is the part of the story everyone wanted to see. There are some improvements, but overall its the most compelling story in the entire saga. Phantom Menace was a very well made film, a lot of people just didn't want that story told. Spielberg is great and I'm sure he gave Lucas his input, just like Lucas has done for him. It kills me how many people love Star Wars and somehow want to hate Lucas. Guess what people, he wrote and directed all of Star Wars. He also wrote most of Empire and Jedi, and was a constant presence on the set. All these films are his vision. He had a lot of help but so do all filmmakers.
Old 05-27-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

All Spielberg did is play with a few animatics. He directed nothing. So no, Spielberg deserves no credit for anything other than the two action sequence animatics he played around with.
Old 05-27-05, 06:43 PM

I think we should blame Spielberg for Episode I. Issue #820 of Entertainment Weekly says that Lucas wanted Spielberg and Ron Howard to each do a prequel. Spielberg told him "George, there's one person to do these, and that's you. You just have to get up out of your chair and leave your desk. I know the ranch is an enticing place, [but] just go make these movies."
Old 05-27-05, 09:07 PM
Cool New Member

Actually according to IMDB.com...

"Francis Ford Coppola suggested Christopher Neil to George Lucas to be the dialogue coach. Lucas said that given the emotional intensity of Revenge of the Sith, and the fact that he rarely has time to converse with the actors, it would be ideal for someone else to be there to get the strongest performances possible." So there.
Old 05-27-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not only do you make great wine, but you also make good movies better. Thank you Coppola!
Old 05-27-05, 09:48 PM

I would try a better source for news than IMDB. Yes, it's right about Chris Neil. But everything else seems highly suspect, as is most of the news on IMDB.
Old 05-27-05, 09:50 PM

I would try a better source for news than IMDB. Yes, it's right about Chris Neil. But everything else seems highly suspect, as is most of the news on IMDB.

Lucas=great writer and producer
Lucas as a director=very average
Um, you got two things backwards.

Lucas is a very good director and a truly great producer.

Lucas is a horrible writer.
Old 05-29-05, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Terrell
Um, you got two things backwards.

Lucas is a very good director and a truly great producer.

Lucas is a horrible writer.
He is a great idea man though. He can come up with a great story. He just isn't stellar writing the screenplay.

As for Spielberg, I believe his input was with the duel between Yoda and Sidious, not Obi and Anakin. And he just futzed around with anamatics, most of which I don't think even ended up in the film. So you can thank Spielberg, but no more then we can thank Lucas for Jurassic Park (heck, I think Lucas had more to do with JP then Spielberg with RoTS).