Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

CGI Yoda or ESB Puppet Yoda?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you prefer CGI Yoda or "The Empire Strikes Back" Puppet Yoda?
CGI Yoda
56.47%
"The Empire Strikes Back" Puppet Yoda
43.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I prefer old school style when it comes to special effects. I liked that bygone era of movies like John Carpenter's "The Thing" where you sit back and wonder, "How did they do that?" Unfortunately, that sense of wonder you get with popcorn movies pretty much died out shortly after Jurassic Park. That was probably the last time I asked, "How did they do that?" because now the answer is always, "(Yawn.) With computers."

Therefore, I am very astonished to say that I watched "The Empire Strikes Back" last night, and much to my surprise I realized that Puppet Yoda in that movie just doesn't do it for me anymore like CGI Yoda. As I'm watching him last night I kept thinking how much he looks like... well... a puppet . His skin looks rubbery, and it sort of takes me out of the movie. This is actually the FIRST time I ever felt this way about watching Yoda for the past 24 years in TESB. I just kept thinking about how CGI Yoda seems so much more expressive and alive.

Maybe this is the beginning of a new age for me. Like when fans of 1933 King Kong see the movie a generation later and realize, "Hey, those effects aren't quite so sophisticated anymore." Consequently, I think good ol' George is never going to be able to effectively bridge the two trilogies to the point where they flow like one cohesive story. You just can't do that with special effects separated by a generation apart.

So which one do you prefer?

Last edited by rennervision; 05-25-05 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-25-05, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two identical threads this forum needs not
Old 05-25-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Sorry. Somehow I created two threads. I'm not sure how to do that even if I tried, but I deleted the duplicate.
Old 05-25-05, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CGI. So much more you can do with him obviously. Puppet Yoda looks like you could beat the hell out of him and throw him across the room. CGI Yoda could kick your ass.
Old 05-25-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like them both, but it is more fun in the new movies seeing the CGI Yoda do all the things the puppet could never do.
Old 05-25-05, 08:53 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

CGI yoda looks like a very detailed, hi-res cartoon to me. puppet yoda is still easier for me to buy as something tangible. however, the real problem i have now is accepting the manner of his introduction in TESB because it doesn't jive with the Yoda we've come to know in the prequels.
Old 05-25-05, 09:34 PM
Retired

CG. Can be more expressive, and you could never do the fight scenes with a puppet.
Old 05-25-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
cgi yoda should have only been used in the fighting scenes
puppet yoda is way better for the close ups of his face
and a 2005 puppet could be even better than a 1980s puppet
Old 05-25-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Puppet Yoda. I loved Yoda vs. Dooku, but that puppet gave the best performance in Empire. And his eyes and facial expressions still look so real.
Old 05-25-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What, no selection for Yaddle
Old 05-25-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

CGI , Yoda was just awesome in the prequels. However, I just finished my first complete SW marathon, and the puppet holds up pretty well.
Old 05-25-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love it when actors actually use life-size puppets either by hand, or large mechanical ones, it seems more life like to me actually.
Old 05-25-05, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wanted to pick "Return of the Jedi" puppet Yoda but there was no option.
Old 05-26-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I hated the puppet in Ep 1. It's like they didn't even look at a picture of Yoda before making it. I didn't like the CGI Yoda in Ep 2. He seemed too plastic. CGI Yoda in Ep 3 was pretty good, as were the puppets in Ep 5 and Ep 6. Ep 5 and Ep 6 puppets still had a muppet quality to them, the way they moved. I was just watching the Muppet Show with Mark Hamill from '78 and it reminded me how much the Muppets really had a unique way of moving not typical to puppets. So I think I give a slight edge to Ep 3. They seemed to take the lessons of Gollum to heart and improved Yoda quite a bit.
Old 05-26-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
CGI. Although i have to admit that when i rewatched ESB back when Star Wars came out on DVD i thought the puppet was incredibly well done and i was very impressed. I'll need to watch it again.
Old 05-26-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For me, they're one and the same. I've never watched Empire and thought, "wow, that puppet looks really good" nor do I watch Clones and Sith and go, "they really got the CGI for yoda down". I only always see Yoda, the Jedi Master. Be it the benevolent hermit or spritey warrior.
Old 05-26-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As long as Frank Oz is voicing, I don't care!
Old 05-26-05, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
frank oz voice, CGI look. simple as that.
Old 05-26-05, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The poll really needs (at least) a third option. As it is, I can't vote. I would vote for the "I like them both equally well" option if it were available. The ESB Yoda was done using the best available technology, and he worked surprisingly well, and IMO still holds up just as well. But a puppet never would have worked for AOTC or ROTS, and the CGI version was so seamless that I never once had the conscious thought "wow, that's some impressive CGI." As Kal-El said, I simply saw Yoda, and found the presenation remarkably believable.

Last edited by RoboDad; 05-26-05 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-26-05, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In the prequels, I never forget Yoda is CGI. In the original, it's fairly easy to forget he's a muppet. I vote "old school".
Old 05-26-05, 07:54 AM

Location: Chicago...NOT my kind of town, I hate urban living, but have no choice
Originally Posted by mikehunt
cgi yoda should have only been used in the fighting scenes
puppet yoda is way better for the close ups of his face
and a 2005 puppet could be even better than a 1980s puppet

Though I like the CGI better... I also agree with your point and wish a happy middle would have been done.... CGI for the fights and a 2005 puppet that would have rocked. Sadly, even great animators and directors still dont know how to find that middle ground... does it ruin SW? no, not at all... maybe Lucas will go back and change puppet Yoda if he gets an itch..who knows...

Spielberg and Stan Winston did BOTH...he used CGI but also had Stan make those incredible giant Dino puppet machines...but then again...Speilberg went and fucked with E.T and made him CGI...didnt come close to being as good as CGI Yoda.

Despite all this.. I cannot relate to those who are anti cgi... the medium is so advanced and fascinating.. and offers great careers for those who have this talent... so much that I feel they should be considered second unit directors
Old 05-26-05, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
In the prequels, I never forget Yoda is CGI. In the original, it's fairly easy to forget he's a muppet. I vote "old school".
how old where you when you saw ESB? that might have a lot to do with it

i'm sure the yoda in TPM will be replaced by a CGI version
Old 05-26-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Cgi. Imho.
Old 05-26-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CG Yoda.
Old 05-26-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by caligulathegod
I hated the puppet in Ep 1. It's like they didn't even look at a picture of Yoda before making it. I didn't like the CGI Yoda in Ep 2. He seemed too plastic. CGI Yoda in Ep 3 was pretty good, as were the puppets in Ep 5 and Ep 6. Ep 5 and Ep 6 puppets still had a muppet quality to them, the way they moved. I was just watching the Muppet Show with Mark Hamill from '78 and it reminded me how much the Muppets really had a unique way of moving not typical to puppets. So I think I give a slight edge to Ep 3. They seemed to take the lessons of Gollum to heart and improved Yoda quite a bit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.