Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What if? Remember when Leo was rumored to play Anakin?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They even had a "leaked" sketch of Padawan Leo:

I was personally all for it at the time and thought he would have done a great job. Despite all the hate, he's a terrific actor. If nothing else, he can do anger and grief (see Gangs, Aviator, Basketball Diaries).

Then again, Portman is a pretty good actress, and look what happened there...
Old 05-25-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
I think I will still stick with Hayden. As poor as his acting is, I think having a star in the main role would have detracted from the story.
Old 05-25-05, 01:30 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Would of been interesting if you played Anakin, kinda wished he got the part now.
Old 05-25-05, 01:42 PM
Suspended

I never had a problem with Hayden. Still don't.
Old 05-25-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
as i mentioned in the thread about hayden getting out of the business

i prefer not to see star wars characters playing other roles, in other movies.. in my mind, it takes away a bit from it.. Im glad the got someone that I had never seen in a movie before, and will never see again.. its better that when Im watching the movie, Im not envisioning the person in the other roles they have played.

of course, as i said before.. portman in closer, was just fine for me
Old 05-25-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by twikoff
i prefer not to see star wars characters playing other roles, in other movies.. in my mind, it takes away a bit from it.. Im glad the got someone that I had never seen in a movie before, and will never see again.. its better that when Im watching the movie, Im not envisioning the person in the other roles they have played.
Say what?

I don't think of "Trainspotting" when I watch Ewan. I don't think of "Dracula" when I watch Christopher. I don't think of "Schindler's List" when I watch Liam. (And so on...) When I see these actors on the screen I see the "characters" they have created because these actors have a level of craft that enables them to create multi-dimensional characters. IMO, Leonardo would have been a TERRIFIC addition to the cast.
Old 05-25-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There would be a lot more crying .
Old 05-25-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I shift sides on this back and forth. I can appreciate wanting to have a relative unknown in the role, but after seeing what was expected of the actor playing Anakin, I'd have prefered someone who could have made it more believable for me. And whether HC has shown himself to be a quality actor outside of these films or not, IMO, his performance in both movies didn't justify him having a role at all, much less this role.
Old 05-25-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fok
Would of been interesting if you played Anakin, kinda wished he got the part now.
Would HAVE, HAVE for crying out loud. Would've for short.
Old 05-25-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would like to think Leonardo would have brought great depth and character to the role of Anakin but since Ewan and Natalie couldn't do it, I doubt Leo would've been able to.
Old 05-25-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
As bad as Jake Lloyd was, I think Leo would have been a bit old to play that part.
Old 05-25-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Franchot
Say what?

I don't think of "Trainspotting" when I watch Ewan. I don't think of "Dracula" when I watch Christopher. I don't think of "Schindler's List" when I watch Liam. (And so on...) When I see these actors on the screen I see the "characters" they have created because these actors have a level of craft that enables them to create multi-dimensional characters. IMO, Leonardo would have been a TERRIFIC addition to the cast.
I agree with everything in this post...

I thought HC was decent in ROTS, but he stunk in AOTC. Leo could have pulled off both phases (young and coflicted, older and afraid) with much more complexity...i.e. he wouldn't have been as one dimensional. In AOTC HC was whiney, and in Sith, he was angry...not much else going on there.
Old 05-25-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
As bad as Jake Lloyd was, I think Leo would have been a bit old to play that part.
Maybe, but he could have played it if Anakin had been written at 13-14 rather than 9 with just a few camera tricks and a stand in for wide shots (a la LOTR). Jake Lloyd would have made a terrific stand in.

IMO a 13 year old Anakin would have been MUCH more interesting than the 9 year old version.
Old 05-25-05, 02:55 PM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts
"I'm the LORD of the GALAXY!"

Nope. Doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
Old 05-25-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Keep HC - Leo would have been far too good for the part to be convincing.

Luke: Bad acting runs in my family. I have it. My father had it. My father as a child had it. You have it, Leia ... yes, it's true. You're a bad actor too.

Leia: I know ... somehow I've always known.
Old 05-25-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Hayden was good. His voice is perfect.
Old 05-25-05, 05:34 PM
Retired

I think Leo would have done great.

I don't mind stars either, when they're stars that are actually good actors (like Leo, Depp, Pitt etc.). Like the guy above said, I don't see the star, or see other characters they played, as they're such good actors I buy them in the current role.
Old 05-25-05, 05:47 PM

Bah. I can't stand Leonardo DiCrapio as I like to call him. I liked him in Gangs, Basketball Diaries and What's Eating Gilbert Grape, but in big budget films I feel he really hoses them up. I am not a fan of his. I think he would have really mucked it up.

I really like Hayden in ROTS. I thought the look and voice was perfect. Some of the scenes in AOTC was a little hard to watch, but it reminded me of Mark Hamill so it had a little symmetry to it. I don't want Star Wars for the acting anyways.

For those that think Hayden is such a horrible actor check out Life as a House. I thought he did a really good job in that movie.

Even a really good actor can't overcome mediocre writing. Look at Liam, Natalie and Ewan. Plus remember Harrison Ford's comment to Lucas when filming the originals that the lines might read fine, but you can't speak or act on them.
Old 05-25-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I would like to think Leonardo would have brought great depth and character to the role of Anakin but since Ewan and Natalie couldn't do it, I doubt Leo would've been able to.
Ewan couldn't?? Hush yo' mouth! While I'll agree that Portman was less than impressive in this role, Ewan was flat out incredible.

I think Leo's a good actor, but I wouldn't have liked to see him as Anakin. I too like the idea of an "unknown" actor playing a role such as this.
Old 05-25-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad Leo wasn't in it, but he is a very good actor.
Old 05-25-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't think you saw the same Ewan I did. He was freaking PERFECT in the role of Obi-Wan.

And I never had the slightest problem with Hayden (or Natalie for that matter). Both of them were hampered by very awkward dialog and not much context for their 'deep romance'.
Old 05-25-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It would have looked awkard to have Darth Vader have such a huge helment, as it seems DeCaprio's head gets bigger every year.
Old 05-25-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MJKTool
I never had a problem with Hayden. Still don't.
Thank God. There are at least a few of us. I think sometimes people hear a complaint a few times and then just run with it. Anakin came across the way Lucas intended. People won't admit it now, but he was excellent in Sith.

Leo might have pulled it off, but I agree he was too big, it might have been distracting.
Old 05-25-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I don't think you saw the same Ewan I did. He was freaking PERFECT in the role of Obi-Wan.

And I never had the slightest problem with Hayden (or Natalie for that matter). Both of them were hampered by very awkward dialog and not much context for their 'deep romance'.
Well said. Ewan is Obi Wan. I also agree with Haydan and Portman, some dialog was poor, and there wasn't enough romance set up. However, I think they have a lot of chemistry on screen. When they are looking at eachother or kissing, I reallly feel it. They were also excellent in the scene she tells him about the baby.
Old 05-25-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think Ewan was an excellent choice for Obi Wan. Thought he played it perfectly and his look was just right as well.

I have some casting issues, but he is absolutly not one of them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.