Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How I had pictured as one of the last scene in episode 3 (SPOILERS)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-24-05, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey folks, I am not George Lucas but it was just some random thoughts of what I pictured along with what I would have liked:

Scene takes place on Alderaan after the blockade ship arrives.

Obi Wan Kenobi and Yoda are receiving instructions from the ghost of Qui Gon on where to take the kids and where to hide.

A group from Naboo (including Jar Jar) arrives on Alderaan to take Padme's body back.

Darth Vader arrives to see if Padme is really dead. There are a couple of surviving Jedi there who try and get in Vader's way to give Yoda and Obi Won a chance to escape but Vader slices them down. He also slices down Jar Jar (causing theaters to erupt in cheers). When he Padme's dead body and turns around and walks away.

Meanwhile Kenobi escapes and takes Luke and Yoda in a ship. He leaves Yoda in Dagobah so Luke is there momentarily (that is why it is familiar to him in EP V). Obi goes on to Tatooine to deliver Luke.

Your thoughts?
Old 05-24-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too complicated I say. I think Episode III ended as perfect as possible, except for the "NOOOOOOOOOO!" scream from Vader.
Old 05-25-05, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was a good ending, too, although I had envisioned Darth Vadar actually seeing the funeral procession whether through holograms or in person somehow rather than the emperor simply telling him.
Old 05-25-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 504 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
Too complicated I say. I think Episode III ended as perfect as possible, except for the "NOOOOOOOOOO!" scream from Vader.
My kneejerk reaction to that was negative as well, but then I thought about it. Our ingrained opinion of Darth Vader is of this evil, intelligent, cold, incredibly powerful villain, hence the nooooooooooo would be out of character. But Vader in that scene is merely a freshly rebuilt crispy Anakin in a new black suit. He's young and emotional, and now deeply hurt when told he killed the woman he loved. And it echoed the other famous noooooooooooo, when he tells Luke the truth in the airshaft in ESB.
Old 05-25-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
My kneejerk reaction to that was negative as well, but then I thought about it. Our ingrained opinion of Darth Vader is of this evil, intelligent, cold, incredibly powerful villain, hence the nooooooooooo would be out of character. But Vader in that scene is merely a freshly rebuilt crispy Anakin in a new black suit. He's young and emotional, and now deeply hurt when told he killed the woman he loved. And it echoed the other famous noooooooooooo, when he tells Luke the truth in the airshaft in ESB.
Well said.
Old 05-25-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I think the ending is fine as-is,although i would have liked to see him use the part you mentioned about Vader killing Jar-Jar.But I guess that would have made him come off as more of a hero than the villain he is supposed to be.
Old 05-25-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only thing lamer than Jar-Jar is people who are still clamoring for him to be killed. The movie was 6 years ago, let it go. He had 30 seconds of screen time in ROTS, I think you've won.
Old 05-25-05, 09:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
That's not a "last scene," that's about an hour's worth of material.
Old 05-25-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruderic
Hey folks, I am not George Lucas but it was just some random thoughts of what I pictured along with what I would have liked:

Obi Wan Kenobi and Yoda are receiving instructions from the ghost of Qui Gon on where to take the kids and where to hide.

A group from Naboo (including Jar Jar) arrives on Alderaan to take Padme's body back.

Darth Vader arrives to see if Padme is really dead. There are a couple of surviving Jedi there who try and get in Vader's way to give Yoda and Obi Won a chance to escape but Vader slices them down. He also slices down Jar Jar (causing theaters to erupt in cheers). When he Padme's dead body and turns around and walks away.

Meanwhile Kenobi escapes and takes Luke and Yoda in a ship. He leaves Yoda in Dagobah so Luke is there momentarily (that is why it is familiar to him in EP V). Obi goes on to Tatooine to deliver Luke.

Your thoughts?

Looks like unnecessary filler. A scene w/ Qui-gon would have been nice, but not needed. Maybe before the ending. I can see the last one. That would have been cool.
Old 05-25-05, 09:37 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
And it echoed the other famous noooooooooooo, when he tells Luke the truth in the airshaft in ESB.
And the "Nooooooooooo!" from Kenobi when Qui-Gon was cut down, and the "Nooooooooooo!" from Luke when Kenobi was cut down. Lot's of "Nooooooooooo!"'s in the STAR WARS universe...
Old 05-25-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I think that you've created too much plot at a time when things needed to be wrapped up quickly, you have some good ideas here. And the Luke/Dagobah thing has been bugging me too.

The movie-editor in my head would make a couple of small tweaks that wouldn't really radically impact the running time:

A brief shot of Vader watching the funeral procession (alone, from a distance) would have been touching, actually. I never thought of that.

I think there needed to be a brief scene w/baby Luke on Dagobah, so the line in ESB makes more sense. (I can't believe Lucas didn't pick up on that and run with it...)

I think Obi-Wan needs to walk into the desert at the end, not ride one of those big farting anteaters.
Old 05-25-05, 10:37 AM

That's exactly how I thought about it too. He realized that his deal with the devil just bit him in the ass.
Old 05-25-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Star Wars Guy
That's exactly how I thought about it too. He realized that his deal with the devil just bit him in the ass.
Makes you wonder why he stayed loyal to him.
Old 05-25-05, 12:18 PM

He didn't have anything better to do. Killing rebels became like the whack a mole game to him - a way to get out some of his frustration.
Old 05-25-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's still an awful cliche, and a good writer would have avoided it. Honestly, I felt like Lucas cribbed that scene from an unproduced Family Guy script.
Old 05-25-05, 12:40 PM
Suspended

I didn't really have a problem with "noooo" perse, but just with the way it was delivered. It seemed like James just phoned it in with no emotion at all.
Old 05-25-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts
I think Obi-Wan needs to walk into the desert at the end, not ride one of those big farting anteaters.
Holy shit! I just spewed my Coke all over my screen. Im rolling over here. I hated all the dumb concoctions of "rideable" mutant animals. Enough with the chicken cow type horses, giant flying wasp rabbits and "farting anteaters".

Ok, done ranting. Sorry for the thread hijack - but I couldn't stop laughing.
Old 05-25-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruderic

Your thoughts?
I think that could work well
Old 05-25-05, 03:48 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Class316
Makes you wonder why he stayed loyal to him.
He had no choice. He cleary wasn't totally loyal, he wanted to overthrow him and rule with Padme, and later with Luke.

After going in the Suit he couldn't overthrew him alone b/c he was a shadow of his former power and one blast of force lighting would do him in.

Thus he bides his time until he finds out about Luke and begins scheming to turn him and kill the emperor together.
Old 05-25-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
When Luke felt something familiar about Dagobah, we could say that he was feeling Yoda's familar presence. Jedi can sense each other, right?

Yoda's aura was comfy to him and for the first time since he was a baby, he felt it.
Old 05-25-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
While I think that you've created too much plot at a time when things needed to be wrapped up quickly, you have some good ideas here. And the Luke/Dagobah thing has been bugging me too.

I think there needed to be a brief scene w/baby Luke on Dagobah, so the line in ESB makes more sense. (I can't believe Lucas didn't pick up on that and run with it...)
What bothers people about this? Something or somewhere completly new has never felt familiar. So if Luke was on Dagobah for 5 minutes when he was 2 days old , the line would make more sence?
Old 05-26-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How was James Earl Jones supposed do his NOOOOOOO with more emotion? Thing thing is going through a voice synthesizer.

I agree though that it might have been interesting to have Vader watching Padme's funeral either live or on remote. It might also reinforce the belief that she died before childbirth since she still looks very very round during her funeral. The only reason I could see why that would be emphasized (because supposedly no one on Naboo knew she was pregnant, right) would be for that very sort of trickery.