0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite Angel Season

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite Angel Season

I was posting on the thread "Favorite Season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and it made me think about Angel. I believe that season three was the best season of both Buffy and Angel, yet season 5 of Angel would have been if Cordelia had stayed put.

Best to Worst (in my opinion)
Old 05-23-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Favorite Season of Angel

Filling out the poll "Favorite Season of Buffy" it made me think about Angel. I believe that season three is the best of Buffy and Angel (yet season 5 of Angel would have been in Cordelia had stuck around).

Best to worst
Old 05-23-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As I said in Sessa's Angel marathon thread, I look at the show as one continuous story, and not rank episodes or seasons.

Besides, there isn't a single episode of ANGEL that I can say, "I didn't like", or "That was stupid", etc. I am completely biased that way. It will always be my all-time favorite series, and no amount of criticism will ever change that.

Am I an ANGEL 'Fanatic'? Absolutely.

Does that make me 'creepy' ?

Don't give a rat's ass if it does.
Old 05-23-05, 11:49 PM

One thing that flat-out PISSES ME OFF though, is the endless comparisons between this and that damn show with the blond girl who puts wood into monsters.

To me, they have always been as separate as "Cheers" and "Frasier"...Just because one was derived from the other doesn't make them similar. The shows were so different- right down to the way they were shot. Also, the never-ending crap about 'Buffy should have been in the finale', or some other nonsense like that, seems to say that both as a character and a series, ANGEL can't stand on its own.

Did Frasier Crane pack his bags, leave Seattle and return to his barstool in Boston?

Would that have pleased the fans of those shows?
Old 05-24-05, 04:23 AM

Liked it from the start and it just kept getting better and better.
Old 05-24-05, 04:24 AM

I too can't pick out a particular season as my favorite. Maybe that's because I only started watching the show in Season 5 and then played catchup over the course of that season, so the previous four just kind of run together in one big story to me. I do know that while I don't have any favorite season, my favorite portion of the show's run starts about the time of Darla getting pregnant and goes right up to sometime with Gloria. I guess that would mean my favorite season is Season 4, but it's really incomplete if you leave out the stuff that happened toward the end of Season 3.

I'm not a fan of Buffy at all. Not that I hate it, but my wife has every season on DVD and I still have only seen a handful of shows whenever she is watching it either on DVD or television. It just didn't really catch me as much as the Angel character did. Although, I do have to say, I would love to see a Spike spin-off based off the position Angel offered him in Season 5, with Spike working out of Wolfram and Hart's offices worldwide. Spike could be a roaming vampire, traveling the world, helping the weak, setting things right and saying bollocks from time to time.
Old 05-24-05, 04:58 AM

4, 3, 2, 5, 1

Season 4 is by far my favorite. Yeah, Connor was annoying and his relationship with Cordy was creepy, but the serialized storyline gave Alias and 24 a run for their money that year, nearly every episode had a kickass fight sequence, the FX and makeup were high quality for a TV show, and Wesley was an amazing character. Hard to believe the same year gave us the disastrous Buffy Season 7. I guess Satan Noxon ain't quite in the same league as Jeffrey Bell and Tim Minear.

Season 2 would've topped 3 had it not been for the final third of the year that went off in a really bizarre direction(yes, I know it's because they lost a few guest stars, but still). Season 5 unfortunately wasted nearly a third of the year before getting a good arc going, and even after that there were very few standout episodes. Solid, but unspectacular season. Season 1 is definitely the weakest, although it ironically features my two favorite episodes of the series, "Five By Five" and "Sanctuary".
Old 05-24-05, 06:19 AM
Suspended

Best to least best (there is no "worst". There is only incredible, superb, fantastic, great & very good).

3 & 4 (tie)
Old 05-24-05, 08:46 AM

Why did you post 2 of the same threads?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423918

Why not delete this one?
Old 05-24-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cheating slightly:

Last half of 5
First half of 5
Old 05-24-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, this is harder than picking a kitten. I love them all. But I would say: 4-3-5-2-1.
Old 05-24-05, 09:36 AM

I guess I'm in the minority...

Best to worst: 2,5,1,3,4

My dislike of the second half of season 3 and all of season 4 was enough that I reached the point where I didn't care if I saw it each week. So I may have missed a couple episodes in there. But to be fair I don't think it would have affected my judgement...
Old 05-24-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also came to watching "Angel" pretty late in the show's run. I didn't really like the Angel character on Buffy, so when they gave him his own show, I skipped it.

But during the summer between the 4th and 5th season, I had some extra money and a desire to spend it on DVDs. I saw the "Angel: Season 1" set on the shelf and decided I should take a chance. I figured I liked Buffy, so it was pretty likely I'd like "Angel".

Turns out, I liked "Angel" a lot, so much so that Buffy doesn't seem as good to me anymore because "Angel" surpassed it by a wide margin.

It would difficult for me to rank the seasons, as well, because I think they were all strong. From beginning to end of the series, there wasn't much I didn't like.
Old 05-24-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

5, easily.

Best to worst: 5, 3, 2, 1, 4
Old 05-24-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
4, 3, 2, 5, 1
I agree with both your rankings and your reasoning. I think I could go either way for the top spot between seasons 3 and 4. I love the epic nature of the season four storyline, although it does have its weak points.
Old 05-24-05, 01:56 PM
Zee

I would go with:

5 and 3 (tie)

Like most of you, I tend to look at Seasons 2-5 as one big long story arc that just gets better and better as it goes along. The only reason why I would rank 3 ahead of 4 is because of
Spoiler:
evil Cordelia
Old 05-24-05, 04:45 PM

The best serialized television ever: Season 4

Very good seasons: Seasons 2 & 3

A little uneven in spots, but still fun to watch: Seasons 1 & 5

Season 4 had the best finale, followed by 5, 3, 2, and then 1. The S4 finale edges out S5 because of the possibilties it represented. I think it's pretty clear what was about to happen in the S5 finale.

L8r
Old 05-24-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

4 - absolutely for me the most addictive season of any joss whedon show
5 (the first half was just awful)
Old 05-24-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

4 - absolutely for me the most addictive season of any joss whedon show
5 (the first half was just awful)
Old 05-24-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1 - i still like Season 1 alot though.
Old 05-25-05, 12:59 PM

I would agree that season 4 was the worst. Connor was horrific and the Cordelia/Connor relationship was incredibly repulsive. And the worst part is that it lasted damn near the whole season. Blech. It's a coin flip between season 3 and season 5 for me, but I'd have to go with season 5 being my favorite.
Old 05-25-05, 02:44 PM
Cool New Member

My series in order of favourites would have to be:

Three: Bloody fantastic throughout. Holtz was the epitome of brilliance, and watching the situation swing from Darla’s appearance, the revelations, and trepidation of her pregnancy, to her sacrifice, and Holtz extracting his revenge was great television. I have just one complaint. Conner. If only Holtz had left him in that hell dimension until the brat was a geriatric old man, our lives would be so much better.

Four: This season was like one massive roller coaster for me. Had Jasmine stuck to flying around in Serenity, rather than infecting LA with her mind-control mojo, then it would have been my favourite season. I hope Joss was severely beaten around the head with a blunt instrument for introducing that character.

Two: This season was great, and the episodes with Darla and Drusilla wrecking havoc on the city were outstanding. I only wish Joss had given their double act more airtime at the expense of the dire Pylea storyline. What a shambles that was. Not only did the gang bring back Fred “I can hula hoop in a fruit-loop” Burkle, but they had ensure Cordelia hitched a ride upon their return as well!

Five: I liked this season a lot more than I thought I might. The first half was a little slow (after the Spike arc), but watching Fred transform into Illyria gave me a newfound respect for the actress, and character as a whole. I didn’t like the ending at all. As far as I’m concerned, the show should have had a much more final closure than it did. It was a major disappointment for me seeing them entering into battle, and then realising we would never know the true outcome.

One: Some great standout episodes, but the show was still in its early stages. I liked Doyle, and thought “Hero” was heartbreaking, but the show got better for me after he snuffed it.
Old 05-25-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vampirella
Five: I didn’t like the ending at all. As far as I’m concerned, the show should have had a much more final closure than it did. It was a major disappointment for me seeing them entering into battle, and then realising we would never know the true outcome.
I think what is about to happen is pretty apparent and I like that the show didn't force us to see it........do you really want to? I prefer the never stop fighting message instead.....
Old 05-25-05, 04:12 PM

I think what is about to happen is pretty apparent and I like that the show didn't force us to see it........do you really want to? I prefer the never stop fighting message instead.....
Exactly. I've always believed that if you didn't understand that, you never really understood what the series was about.

It was the perfect ending for those characters.
Old 05-25-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Tscott
Liked it from the start and it just kept getting better and better.

That is how I feel but I know lots of people didn't care for Jasmine or Conner story lines.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.