Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Regarding the Death Star (possible spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between ROTS and ANH is 20 years. During that time the death star finished.

Between ANH and ROTJ is 4 years. During that time ANOTHER death star is finished?

Wow, how did they manage to build one 5 X faster? I know the learning curve must have helped and possibly more men, but there’s still a HUGE difference between 4 years and 20 years!
Old 05-23-05, 12:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It could be that the second Death Star was already under construction before the first Death Star was blown up.
Old 05-23-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first one was built by Massachusetts contractors. They didnt make that mistake again.
Old 05-23-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Didn't you see Contact?

[Hadden]Wanna take a ride?[/Hadden]
Old 05-23-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Groucho
It could be that the second Death Star was already under construction before the first Death Star was blown up.
I'd say that makes the most sense. I'm sure the Emperor wanted a couple Death Stars to spread throughout the empire. Makes you wonder if more were in various stages at the end of ROTJ?
Old 05-23-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
[QUOTE=devilshalo]Didn't you see Contact?

Why build one when you can build two for twice the price?
Old 05-23-05, 12:45 PM

The 2nd one is a clone.
Old 05-23-05, 12:47 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Didn't the emperor oversee the second one himself? you know you all work 5x faster when the boss is around.
Old 05-23-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The actual answer -- who knows?

A fairly reasonable made-up answer -- what took so long for the first one may not be the actual construction, but the design and testing of the weaponry. Since that is now perfected (ala Alderaan), all they need to do is physically build the new unit. Maybe that's the easy part and 3-4 years later, in RotJ, they're almost done.
Old 05-23-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
The first one was built by Massachusetts contractors. They didnt make that mistake again.
Old 05-23-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I would like to know how old is Tarkin supposed to be when he's standing on the bridge with Vader at the end of RotS?
Old 05-23-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't know... but he's 1.8 meters tall according to the web site.
Old 05-23-05, 02:24 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guess they really hauled ass on the second one, also it wasn't all complete in the movie.
Old 05-23-05, 02:38 PM

Plus the second one is supposed to be BIGGER than the first.

Maybe it was hollow inside, like a chocolate easter bunny?
Old 05-23-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
The second was not nearly complete, that is why it did not look like a sphere. It was operational, but not complete. And it was of different design of the first, fix the problems of the 1st, ie a young punk farmer blowing it up with a torpedo.
The Emperor disbanded the senate in ANH, so I am sure there was senatorial restraints/obstacles in place to work around during the first DS, which were not present during the second - ever notice how fast it takes a private business to complete a project compared to a governmental project?
Old 05-23-05, 02:44 PM

I thought the same thing...about it taking a couple decades for one...but ..I remember from a long time ago in....the theory that multiple death stars were being built around key points in the galaxy.
Old 05-23-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
I'd say that makes the most sense. I'm sure the Emperor wanted a couple Death Stars to spread throughout the empire. Makes you wonder if more were in various stages at the end of ROTJ?
According to the EU this is the case. It's been a while, but IIRC, for one project, only the superlaser is completed, and it's later completed just enough to make it mobile and dubbed the Darksaber.

And the bit from Contact really makes sense considering the way Palpatine does things. He might have had two going at once in case one mutineed or something ( I just thought of the Invader Zim ep with Zim and Dib fighting with Mars and the moon, and imagining Death Stars instead.)

Also, I don't believe it's ever said the second DS is bigger, just more powerful. Like it could be the same size, but just a more efficient superlaser and hyperdrive. Like a car available in six cylinders or eight, using the same frame and chassis.
Old 05-23-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
There were probably two Death Stars the whole time.

Tarkin controlled the first one, and the Emporer wanted one of his own in case Tarkin got out of line.
Old 05-23-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe the one being built at the end of ROTS is not the one from ANH. They set it up but screwed up something. So when they go to turn it on, the whole thing blew up. It then took years going over the plans the stupid bug guys messed up before they realized what was the problem. Wire Z was supposed to go in plug C, not plug D. Stupid bug guys. Let's hope the Emprie wiped them all out.
Old 05-23-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
The second one is definitely bigger. The July 1983 issue of CINEFEX contains an interview with Richard Edlund of Industrial Light & Magic, regarding the effects of Return of the Jedi. In this interview, on pp.7-8 he says:

" The Deathstar, I think, will be a lot more interesting than the one in the first Star Wars — mainly because it is under construction ... Plus, it will be MUCH bigger. In Star Wars, it was really difficult to establish the scale. It was supposed to be miles in diameter, but with a full sphere it was hard to tell. The NEW one is SUPPOSED TO BE MORE like FIVE HUNDRED MILES in diameter, but since we're not dealing with a sphere all the time, we'll be able to establish landmarks and get a better sense of scale. "

Besides, in Star Wars, Luke and 2 X wings barely fit in the trench while in Jedi the trench is big enough for the huge shuttle bay the Emperor parks in. Plus, it took a photon torpedo to get to the center in Star Wars while in Jedi they flew the entire Millenium Falcon into it.
Old 05-23-05, 05:29 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by resinrats
Maybe the one being built at the end of ROTS is not the one from ANH. They set it up but screwed up something. So when they go to turn it on, the whole thing blew up. It then took years going over the plans the stupid bug guys messed up before they realized what was the problem. Wire Z was supposed to go in plug C, not plug D. Stupid bug guys. Let's hope the Emprie wiped them all out.
Ah, i like this. another logical way of looking at it.
"No! No! This one goes here, THAT one goes there!"
Old 05-23-05, 05:38 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

According to the sci-fi starship comparison chart, Death Star II was slightly bigger:

http://www.merzo.net/2000mpp.htm

Unicron would have them both for brunch.
Old 05-23-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
another thing to consider. in re-analyzing the end of ROTS I think the Vader/Tarkin overlooking the death star scene is a while after everything else, even though it isn't the closing shot of the movie. The ships are all a different design from the rest of the movie, especially the tie fighter like things that fly by. they're more like OT ties than the jedi fighters anakin and obi-wan were flying
Old 05-24-05, 09:34 AM

yeah, I got the impression that it was supposed to appear to be some years later. Of course, then they cut back to Tatooine and Luke is still a baby. Gets me.
Old 05-24-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess it could have taken a couple of months to get to Tatooine. So maybe the Death Star scene was a month or two later.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.