Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Hdtv on cable - local channels as well. Should'nt I need an HD antenna for this?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Hdtv on cable - local channels as well. Should'nt I need an HD antenna for this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-05, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I have a 55in WS mistubishi with built in HD tuner. Now I am moving to a new apartment and the cable company says the hd package contains local channels as well. Should'nt I need an HD antenna for this? How is this possible?

Thanks
Old 05-22-05, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Now I am moving to a new apartment and the cable company says the hd package contains local channels as well. Should'nt I need an HD antenna for this? How is this possible?
If the cable company says that they deliver HD local perhaps and you don't believe them, you should question them. If they are incorrect then you would need an OTA antenna.
Old 05-22-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slcsnkman
Ok I have a 55in WS mistubishi with built in HD tuner. Now I am moving to a new apartment and the cable company says the hd package contains local channels as well. Should'nt I need an HD antenna for this? How is this possible?

Thanks

Why would you think you would need an antenna? It's possible in the same way any HD channel is sent down the pipe to your house. The cable company receives the HD local channel and retransmits it to you. You'll need their digital cable box to receive it and decode the signal unless they use the QAM standard and don't scramble it in which case you can use your built in HD tuner to decode the signal.
Old 05-22-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get local HD channels from my cable company. And I'm sure thousands of others do too. I'm not sure I understand your doubts.
Old 05-23-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Comcast offers HD channels 'in the clear' (QAM). That means you don't need a box to pick them up assuming you have a HD-built-in set. However, I do have an HDDVR so I can 1) pick up HD premium channels and 2) to record HD progamming. Plus I have an antenna hooked up so I can pick up the Baltimore HDs (I get the Washington HDs via cable).
Old 05-23-05, 03:50 PM

I have HD Cable and get all the locals except CBS piped in. The HD signal is sent through the cable, so no antenna needed.
Old 05-24-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello...

Keep in mind, however, that the quality of any local HD signals sent via cable will most likely be sub-par (as compared to using the HD antenna to recieve the local feeds) as they are being compressed just like the other cable channels. If you had an HD antenna, you may notice an inprovement in quality....

No biggie in most cases,

Matt
Old 05-24-05, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by KillerQ
Hello...

Keep in mind, however, that the quality of any local HD signals sent via cable will most likely be sub-par (as compared to using the HD antenna to recieve the local feeds) as they are being compressed just like the other cable channels. If you had an HD antenna, you may notice an inprovement in quality....

No biggie in most cases,

Matt
Why would a cable company go to the trouble of decoding the already-compressed broadcast digital bitstream just to turn around and re-compress it? And how would they do that instantaneously so that realtime OTA digital broadcasts reach your house at the same moment as the cable re-transmission?

Answer: they don't. There is no difference between the two bitstreams. That's sort of the whole point of digital broadcasting.

RichC
Old 05-24-05, 04:26 PM
Banned

its just when I lived in Arizona the local cable company supplied me with the HD package but not local channels so I had to buy an HD antenna thats all