Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Older Hitachi 50UX11K RPTV Advice...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I need some advice. Someone at my work bought a Hitachi 50UX11K, i believe it is a 1992 model. They had no problems with it until about 5 years ago when "it went black" they had a technician come out and "replace the picture tube". Then about 1 year ago, they decided to buy a newer TV (no other problems with the old one, they just wanted a new one). It has been in their basement and works fine now. The wanted to get rid of it, and told me to make an offer. I am thinking I would be able to get it for about $100 or so. I am gonna take a DVD player and hook it all up, run tests for burn in, etc -- but if all that checks out decent, what would be a good offer for this TV? I mean, i am looking at how little I could offer them without being ridiculous. Like i said, i guess around $100. Obviously, the less the better... Does anyone know anything about this TV yet? I haven't seen it yet. What size is it, what video input does it have?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 05-22-05, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up a 12 year old Sylvania RPTV from a friend of mine for $100 and it's in my son's room. Hell, if it's got a halfway decent picture and you can get it for $100, why worry over it? If it lasts you a year you've gotten your money's worth.
Old 05-23-05, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am assuming that this is a 50" TV -- is that correct?
Old 05-23-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that's a safe assumption. Predates HD, though.
Old 05-24-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello...

Also, how do you think i should justify asking $100 for this? They don't know much about TV's, so anything i tell them, they will believe. On the other hand, their ignorance may cause them to think that this TV is still worth 100's (worst case scenario).

I figured I would tell them:

-The technology is 13 years outdated
-It's not 16:9
-No component in
-Not HD compatible
-It's simply old.
-There are probably a lot of hours on this set and some of the wear is irreversable.
-The "picture tube" has already gone bad once.
-New ones retail for cheap.
-I found a new 46 inch HDTV in a store for 1299. Using that as a base price, i figure CRT RPTV's depreciate at about $100 per year. that would make this have no resale -- but my money is for their trouble and the simple fact that they are selling it to me...

How does all of this sound? Any suggestions?

Also, I am asumming that if i place this in the back of a pickup truck and drive "normal" (15-20 miles freeway) it will be ok.... would i place it ON anything to reduce shock/bouncing? stand it up? lay it on it's back? (edit: I just read in another post that against the rearview part of a pickup, wrapped in thick blankets and ties securely should work...) But once again, should I put anything UNDER it?

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by KillerQ; 05-24-05 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-24-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it predates component connections, I wouldn't think it could possibly be worth more than $200 on the used market. Not even $100 to me, in fact you'd have to pay me to take it. Have you checked Ebay or anything to see if similar sets have been sold, and at what price?

Depreciation would be more like cars. Knock off 25% simply for removing it from the store. And then it would decrease pretty straight down to a certain point where it will stay. I wouldn't think $100 to be too far off from that point. Although at some point it could be completely obsolete and worth nothing. Like computers.

The "tube" is 3 CRT guns, probably 7". They probably would cost you $500-1000 each to replace if necessary. I would assume a TV like this needs professional help (basing this off my parent's 53" Sony from ~1987) to look halfway decent at this point, at least a 6500K calibration and pro convergence. This would probably run at least $200
Old 05-25-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey,

So, really, how much should I ask, and how should I explain it to them... think i could get away with $75? I'll just tell them that there is clearly no resale, and tv shops wouldn't even want it... or something truthful along those lines.... help.... I go tomorrow.

Matt
Old 05-25-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The difference between $75 and 100 is negligible. Offer what you are willing to pay once you see it. Didn't you get a new TV, yet? I know you were looking at a couple.

At my parents' house, I watch on the 23" LCD HDTV instead of the 53" RPTV. I prefer small with good pic than large and crappy.
Old 05-25-05, 12:15 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Spiky
...Have you checked Ebay or anything to see if similar sets have been sold, and at what price?
That was my first thought on trying to come up with a reasonable price. I just checked and found that there are three or four 50" Hitachi RPTVs, each of which is newer than the set you are looking at, available for about $300. That would tend to indicate that the value of their set is less than that, though it also may depend on where you are located.

I do suspect that they could sell it locally for more than $100 though... even at its age. After all, that's about the same price someone would pay for a cheap, new 19" TV. Given the choice between the new 19" at $100 and the used 50" at even $200, I think there would be plenty of people interested in the RPTV.

BTW, have you discussed price with the owner at all? It may also be the case that they put $3000 in to it and would feel insulted by an offer of $100 regardless of its actual value.
Old 05-25-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey all...

Thanks for the info so far... Yea, the way I got into this whole thing with this person is that i was saying how "I am gonna get a new tv this summer, but if i can find an old one that someone's getting rid of for a couple hundred dollars, that would tide me over for a bit". The she told me how she has this old one. Also, after we talked, i said i would see how much new ones are going for, and then find out what hers would be going for, then after looking at it, let her know how much i would actually offer for it. She said, "Ok, come over and check it out". So thats the info we have exchanced so far -- so she has an idea that i won't pay a lot. Actually, since i am going over there tomorrow -- I may call her tonight, tell her about the research I have done and that the tv (unless it's in really bad shape) is probably worth no more than $100 in actual value -- and let her know that that's the most that I would pay. If she says "fine" then i am ready to go check it out and take it from there... If she says "well, we were looking at more like $250, $300", then i'll tell her again that $100 is the most i'll pay -- and if she doesn't change, then I saved myself a trip......

What do you think about that -- this is probably the best approach...

Matt
Old 05-25-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds about right for the conversation. But it's your friend, you'd know best. Don't make it into some sort of haggling deal over an old TV, that can ruin friendships.
Old 05-25-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sshheew...

What a relief. I just called the lady..... I asked her if her and her husband had decided on a price, by chance. She said they didn't totally discuss it, but that he has mentioned something around $200 is what he was GUESSING. So I told her about my research, and how the technology was old, blah, blah, blah, and told her that I wouldn't really pay more that $100 for it. She said OK, like she was relieved that a price was set.... I also told her the $100 would be the case if there was no major malfunctions in the TV or damage -- so it may be even less.... I am still going over tomorrow -- but it's nice that they know I will only spend 100 tops, and they aren't gonna try and ask for more..... Nice!

Thanks,

Matt