Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mace Windu - anyone disapointed by him?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-21-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a little disapointed by Mace Windu's character and Sam Jackson's portrayal of him.

The character: He's arrogant. Which might have been fine if he weren't so wrong half the time. He's got this parental "do what I say" thing going. He doesn't think other Jedi (dark or not) could be behind the various mysterious. He's right about being suspicious of Anakin. Oddly, there's a cut scene in Attack of the Clones where he tells Obi Won NOT to be suspicious of Annie. But more than all that......I thought he'd be a kewl anti-hero. But he always follows the company line.

The performance: I don't really think Sam Jackson (yes Sam - my friend.) really had a clear outlook on the character. He's the least cool character Jackson has ever played. But he should have been the coolest. I also thought his fight moves were slow and unconvincing.
Old 05-21-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree. I had much higher hopes for the character. Ended up being kind of lame.
Old 05-21-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Considering Lucas created the character for him out of the blue, simply because he wanted to be in Star Wars, you can't expect the best character in the world. I think Morgan Freeman would have been a better choice.
Old 05-21-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Or maybe Lucas should have brought in Tarantino to polish Mace's dialogue because Sam. L. Jackson sounded like he was depressants in the films.
Old 05-21-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Or maybe Lucas should have brought in Tarantino to polish Mace's dialogue because Sam. L. Jackson sounded like he was depressants in the films.
Does Marsellus Wallace look like a Sith?

Umm, no.

Then why are you treating him like a Sith?
Old 05-21-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mace is still one of my favs. He was the only one to beat the Emperor. (If Anakin hadn't a suckered him.) I figured his delivery was like people from his planet/system. Like Yoda's backwards speak. Odd to us, normal for their race/civilization.
Old 05-21-05, 05:41 PM

I wouldn't want Tarantino within a thousand miles of Star Wars, period. Can't stand him or his films, and I don't even know the guy. Only film he ever made I even remotely liked was Pulp Fiction.

Now Frank Darabont or Lawrence Kasdan, now we're talking.
Old 05-21-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BassDude
Mace is still one of my favs. He was the only one to beat the Emperor. (If Anakin hadn't a suckered him.) I figured his delivery was like people from his planet/system. Like Yoda's backwards speak. Odd to us, normal for their race/civilization.
Black people in Star Wars are from their own planet?! Lucas is so racist .

Old 05-21-05, 07:18 PM
gamer for life

"He was the only one to beat the Emperor. (If Anakin hadn't a suckered him.)"

I got out of this that the Emperor was just playing Anakin. He was to powerful when fighting Yoda to be so weak when fighting Mace..... he knew Anakin was watching, and he let Mace get the upper hand, because he new that Mace would have no choice but to kill him. He played the part as needing Anakin's help, and he knew it would further the half-truths he had already planted in Anakin's mind about the Jedi being just like the sith. If Anakin had not jumped in, the Emperor would have killed Mace or at least got out of it alive.
Old 05-21-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by foxdvd

I got out of this that the Emperor was just playing Anakin. He was to powerful when fighting Yoda to be so weak when fighting Mace..... he knew Anakin was watching, and he let Mace get the upper hand, because he new that Mace would have no choice but to kill him. He played the part as needing Anakin's help, and he knew it would further the half-truths he had already planted in Anakin's mind about the Jedi being just like the sith. If Anakin had not jumped in, the Emperor would have killed Mace or at least got out of it alive.
Yep. Sid goes through 3 Jedi Masters like butter and then has trouble with Mace, when he can hold his own against Yoda? He was acting.
Old 05-21-05, 07:54 PM

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense...never for attack".

"Regardless of how his mother died, Jedis are not supposed to take vengeance"- Lucas in the new Rolling Stone referring to Anakin and the Jedi

Anyone else thought it weird that Mace was about to kill a beaten Palpatine instead of arresting him??
Old 05-21-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Mace kicked Palpatine's saber away and had him down before Anakin entered the room. So I don't know why he would fake it at that moment unless he could sense Anakin coming. If Anakin didn't intervene I think Mace would have killed him, since lightning really didn't work against Mace the first time around. Anakin also mentions in Episode II that Obi-wan was wise as Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu. So it doesn't surprise me that Mace could have taken Palpatine out on his own.
Old 05-21-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terrell
I wouldn't want Tarantino within a thousand miles of Star Wars, period. Can't stand him or his films, and I don't even know the guy. Only film he ever made I even remotely liked was Pulp Fiction.

Now Frank Darabont or Lawrence Kasdan, now we're talking.
Please tell me you don't include "Dreamcatcher" as a favorite from Kasdan.
Old 05-21-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Or The Majestic from Darabont.
Old 05-21-05, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, I think he did just fine in this movie, he was a Jedi with self-control.
Old 05-21-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by outcastja
Mace kicked Palpatine's saber away and had him down before Anakin entered the room. So I don't know why he would fake it at that moment unless he could sense Anakin coming. If Anakin didn't intervene I think Mace would have killed him, since lightning really didn't work against Mace the first time around. Anakin also mentions in Episode II that Obi-wan was wise as Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu. So it doesn't surprise me that Mace could have taken Palpatine out on his own.
yeah to me, Palpatine was so powerful cuz of his electricity. He was good with a lightsabre but Yoda and Mace were the cream of the crop when it came to fighting with a lightsabre.
Old 05-21-05, 10:33 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by foxdvd
Well... He's not the only one.
Old 05-21-05, 10:34 PM

Um, no! I was merely talking about how I would have loved for either of them to have written the prequel screenplays. Never really liked either one all that much as a director, except for a couple of Darabont's films. But they're both great screenwriters, and good with dialogue.
Old 05-21-05, 10:45 PM
Banned

Mace is in the movie and was shown that a black jedi can defeat the white evil emperor just to keep Jesse Jackson & NAACP off of Lucas back after the Jar-Jar Binks b.s. of 1999.
Old 05-21-05, 10:51 PM
gamer for life

Even before he was in the room, the Emperor would have known Anakin was coming. He does know how to use the force.....When he fought Mace he was moving slower, did not use the force to full effect...and so forth....It did not seem to me that he was trying hard at all....He would have know Anakin was coming, as a master of the force, and it played perfect to let Mace try to kill him...
Old 05-21-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by BassDude
I figured his delivery was like people from his planet/system. Like Yoda's backwards speak. Odd to us, normal for their race/civilization.
Exactly. Just b/c you think he should act like Jules doesn't mean he should. What I took from the character was that he was a man of peace. Mellow. A cool cat that only resorted to violence as a last resort. A true jedi master. Like Yoda.

I'm glad he didn't go out like a bitch. Cool scene.

I think it was a combination of both, Mace had the upper hand and palp was acting. I think Palp went full force(when they were dueling) at first and when he sensed Anakin he let up to play up the emotions for Anakin.
Old 05-22-05, 08:40 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Reach in that bag and pull out my lightsaber.

Which one is your's?

It's the one that says Bad Master Jedi on it!
Old 05-22-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Mace is in the movie and was shown that a black jedi can defeat the white evil emperor just to keep Jesse Jackson & NAACP off of Lucas back after the Jar-Jar Binks b.s. of 1999.
Riiiight, that makes a lot of sense .
Old 05-22-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Riiiight, that makes a lot of sense .
No worries. In about 10 minutes, Wm Lopez is going to blame the entire downfall of the Republic on liberals.
Old 05-22-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Dabaomb
yeah to me, Palpatine was so powerful cuz of his electricity. He was good with a lightsabre but Yoda and Mace were the cream of the crop when it came to fighting with a lightsabre.

Agreed. Also, Mace was able to keep the Lightning from hurting him by absorbing it with his Saber until Anakin came into the room. Granted, in AOTC Yoda used his bare hands to absorb the energy when Dooku used it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.