Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anakin does NOT turn to the dark side too quickly

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-21-05, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems to me that everyone thinks this movie takes place over a matter of days. It's months. Padme goes from just finding out she in pregnant (and not showing at all) to having the babies by the end of the film. Anakin's change takes several months to complete
Old 05-21-05, 10:26 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's not what people mean. They just mean it happens to quickly in that one scene.

One second he's "What have I done"

A couple seconds later he's "I'll do whatever you ask."

The time line for falling was fine. But that one seen seems like it had some extra dialogue with Palpy further manipulating him cut out.
Old 05-21-05, 11:11 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
That's not what people mean. They just mean it happens to quickly in that one scene.

One second he's "What have I done"

A couple seconds later he's "I'll do whatever you ask."
What if the "What have I done" was partly Anakin expressing his turn to the dark side?

Nobody seems to be thinking about that.

I didn't read the line as guilt.
Old 05-21-05, 12:22 PM
Retired

It was totally guilt, he was nearly crying. There's really no debate there IMO.
Old 05-21-05, 01:04 PM

It was totally guilt, he was nearly crying. There's really no debate there IMO.

Hinkle: always classy.
Old 05-21-05, 01:08 PM
Retired

I put IMO there, so I don't see what your issue is.

Pretty funny comment coming from someone who is always attacking others opinions.
Old 05-21-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Don't forget how fast Ani resorted to killing men,women,and children the first time (In AOTC) It's no surprise to me how fast he accepted to become a new apprentice.
Old 05-21-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anakin's turn is almost complete, when he leaves the Jedi council. When he helps kill Mace he can't believe what he is done. But he also knows he can't go back. Again Palpatine tells him he is the only way to save Padme. Anakin's only concern is saving her, so he is willing to go a long. You can see this on Mustafar, he's quite willing to betray sidious once Padme is okay.

I thought Anakin's turn to the dark side, his motivations, and his weakness were very convincing and more involved. I wasn't expecting it to be this good. I think that is why the reaction and reviews have been so good. Sith is not just a better film then the 1st two, it takes it to a new level in everyway.
Old 05-21-05, 02:36 PM

I put IMO there, so I don't see what your issue is.

Pretty funny comment coming from someone who is always attacking others opinions.
Temper, temper, Hinkle.

The IMO was too late in the game for me. It doesn't count, IMO.

"Always attacking others"

... sure. Hey, if that helps you swallow, then go for it. Glad to see you follow my every move, #1 fan.
Old 05-21-05, 02:46 PM
Retired

No temper at all. I could care less what random internet people say.

And I hardly follow your every move, but many are hard to miss as many movie talk threads are pointless arguments between you and a few other members.
Old 05-21-05, 03:49 PM
Banned

In case you didn't realize, it's been a slow methodical transformation of him from a human to a machine. That scene is a culmination of everything, every little step down the ladder to utlimate doom, and in that scene is turns. He does it for love. There's good in him even then, even when he kills the Jedi, to him, it's a means to an end to save Padme, the only thing in his life that's worth anything. It's really quite powerful. How much would one do to save the ones they loved? Some are willing to do more than others and give up their livelyhood. If you ask me, Anakin never truly turned to the Dark Side. He never gains Sith powers like Palpatine or anything like that, in the end, there was always good in him.
Old 05-21-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
If you ask me, Anakin never truly turned to the Dark Side. He never gains Sith powers like Palpatine or anything like that, in the end, there was always good in him.
Hmm..good point. Although I might change it to "he never COMPLETELY turned", as Palpatine didn't have the time (I assume, although how much time passes from that point til the lava is up in the air) to formally train him in the arts of the Sith. I assume Sidious does between 3 and his demise in 6, but by then he is "more machine than man" anyway.

But killing children and such is definitely a Dark Side thang.
Old 05-21-05, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by BassDude
Hmm..good point. Although I might change it to "he never COMPLETELY turned"...
And to build on your point, looking at the situation in Vader's shoes at the end of RotS, he has nothing left but the Sith. No more Padme, kid(s) (he didn't know he had twins), or Jedis. Finding out about Luke later down the saga triggered the good in him again.
Old 05-21-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by BassDude

Not picking on you personally, but I've seen many people say that him killing the younglings was unforgivable... Actually it goes right along with him still having good in him and wanting to save Padme. Palpatine tells him to go to the Jedi Temple and kill ALL of the Jedi... "only then will you be strong enough with the dark side to save Padme."

I think that quote there explains it all. It's also why Anakin is crying during most of his killings. He has become the Emperor's puppet. He doesn't want to do it, but he HAS to.
Old 05-22-05, 01:05 AM

And I hardly follow your every move, but many are hard to miss as many movie talk threads are pointless arguments between you and a few other members.
Um, that's still following my every move, #1 fan. You say "hard to miss," I say "Hinkle likes it."

I'm flattered, trust me.

Using the word "pointless" in the movie forum... now that's funny. OF COURSE it's pointless. You're just as guilty of that crime recently.
Old 05-22-05, 04:37 AM
Banned

Hmm..good point. Although I might change it to "he never COMPLETELY turned", as Palpatine didn't have the time (I assume, although how much time passes from that point til the lava is up in the air) to formally train him in the arts of the Sith. I assume Sidious does between 3 and his demise in 6, but by then he is "more machine than man" anyway.

Well, I'll just say that it was him flirting around with the Dark Side, I still don't believe he ultimately turned because there was still good in him as Padme and Luke say. Finding out that his son was alive and piloting an X-Wing in ANH is what set him on the course to destroy the Emperor in ROTJ.
Old 05-22-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anakin definitely turned too quickly. This was the key moment in the movie, the prequel trilogy, and arguably the entire series, and Lucas blew it. IMO, of course.
Old 05-22-05, 05:28 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by scott shelton
Um, that's still following my every move, #1 fan. You say "hard to miss," I say "Hinkle likes it."
Um no. It's noticing it by seeing good discussions derailed by your troll like posts. As for liking it, certinainly not, especially since you just become the most recent addition to my ignore user list. Happy posting!