Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Not Enough Inputs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-05, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Enough Inputs...

I have an Onkyo TX-SR502 which came with my 770 HTiB...

I have a DVD player and XBox hooked up into its only 2 component vid inputs...

I'm gonna need prob. 3 more inputs (component) for Xbox 360, PS3, and Revolution...

Is there a way to get more component Vid inputs other than buyng another reciever???

I have heard of switchers but they all seem to be made by odd brands...

thanks guys,

ben
Old 05-21-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by benfiltness
I have an Onkyo TX-SR502 which came with my 770 HTiB...

I have a DVD player and XBox hooked up into its only 2 component vid inputs...

I'm gonna need prob. 3 more inputs (component) for Xbox 360, PS3, and Revolution...

Is there a way to get more component Vid inputs other than buyng another reciever???

I have heard of switchers but they all seem to be made by odd brands...

thanks guys,

ben

Pelican makes one. And they aren't an odd brand, they are one of the top video game accessories makers.
Old 05-21-05, 10:16 AM

Yeah I saw the System Selector Pro...

anyone had any experiences with it??
Old 05-21-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

audio athorithy makes one as well. Top notch stuff. Im gonna be getting one soon unless I can find a reciever in my budget with about 7-8 imputs.

http://www.copperbox.com/lite/popinfo.php?lc_code=1154A
Old 05-21-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by benfiltness
Yeah I saw the System Selector Pro...

anyone had any experiences with it??
most people are pretty satisfied with it. check out ign forums or some other video game dedicated forums. I think our own vg forum had some discussion on it if you did a search
Old 05-21-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by uli2000
audio athorithy makes one as well. Top notch stuff. Im gonna be getting one soon unless I can find a reciever in my budget with about 7-8 imputs.

http://www.copperbox.com/lite/popinfo.php?lc_code=1154A
I have one & it's great! I use it with my projector and the following:

• Satellite Receiver
  • OTA HD Tuner
  • DVR/ DVD Recorder
  • Region Free DVD Player

It's nice to just turn on whatever I want to watch and that's all. I only use one digital audio input on my receiver, as the 1154 switched audio too. It's not cheap in price, but it is a good quality piece of equipment!

Sonic
Old 05-22-05, 09:26 AM

I have a JVC that I got for around $40. It has three buttons to select from to pick your input. Someday I'd like to pick up something different so I don't have to go push the button though... (whether it's automatic or has a remote that I can learn to my MX500)
Old 05-22-05, 11:35 AM

i bought the Audio Authority one, works great. The problem with all of the other cheaper ones is there is some signal degredation on HD material.
Old 05-22-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonicflood
I have one & it's great! I use it with my projector and the following:

• Satellite Receiver
  • OTA HD Tuner
  • DVR/ DVD Recorder
  • Region Free DVD Player

It's nice to just turn on whatever I want to watch and that's all. I only use one digital audio input on my receiver, as the 1154 switched audio too. It's not cheap in price, but it is a good quality piece of equipment!

Sonic
Not to steal the thread but,

How do you have all that hooked up? Well I guess a better way of saying it is I have a similar set up but no HD (Sat receiver to TiVo DVD player to X1). But I was thinking I would really like to watch football this fall in HD. Yes I know my X1 is not HD, but reports are the image is much better then SD if not as good as "true" HD. But there are really no Dishnetwork channels I would like to watch, so I don't see paying for an HD receiver from them let alone another $10, $12 or whatever a month. So I'm thinking about getting a HD Tuner and just put an antenna up.

If at all possible, I would like to not run anything else to the X1. I have it hooked up via the component breakout cable, that way I won't ever have to switch sources at the PJ (easy for the family).

I have been thinking about getting an AV receiver that has several component inputs (Onkyo 602), but if a switch box like the above would do the trick and do it automatically...that would be sweet (must be easy for family as I travel a lot).
Old 05-22-05, 05:32 PM

Sounds good... where do i suggest purchasing it at the best price???
Old 05-23-05, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

sdallnct,

If you are looking for football in HD, you would get that from only 3 possible places this coming season:

Local channel
ESPN HD
NFL ST (DirecTV only)

The Dish HD box costs about the same as an OTA-only HD box and includes OTA, why wouldn't you just get it instead? (unless I've got the prices wrong) That should give you the OTA stuff for no additional monthly cost, plus the option of anything that Dish offers, which is increasing drastically this year with their acquisition of Voom's sats and channels.

benfiltness,
That link is pretty decent. There are really only a couple resellers of AA stuff, copperbottom is one of the main authorized places, I believe. I think they are always about the same price, unless you could find one used.

Last edited by Spiky; 05-23-05 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-23-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
sdallnct,

If you are looking for football in HD, you would get that from only 3 possible places this coming season:

Local channel
ESPN HD
NFL ST (DirecTV only)

The Dish HD box costs about the same as an OTA-only HD box and includes OTA, why wouldn't you just get it instead? (unless I've got the prices wrong) That should give you the OTA stuff for no additional monthly cost, plus the option of anything that Dish offers, which is increasing drastically this year with their acquisition of Voom's sats and channels.
Well I'll keeping looking but, the Dish 811 sells for $399 on the the Dishnetwork site and I found for $349 at a few places. Yet I found several Samsung stand alone OTA receivers in the $129 to $179 range. After your post, I looked again and there are a bunch of 811's on ebay selling for $200 (used). Which I suppose would not be bad. It would be nice to have it all in one box, and your right, if more games go on ESPN and I want them in HD I may not have a choice. Plus I'm sure in 2 years (maybe less) I'll upgrade my PF to HD, so might be a good long term investment.
Old 05-23-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Not to steal the thread but,

How do you have all that hooked up? Well I guess a better way of saying it is I have a similar set up but no HD (Sat receiver to TiVo DVD player to X1). But I was thinking I would really like to watch football this fall in HD. Yes I know my X1 is not HD, but reports are the image is much better then SD if not as good as "true" HD. But there are really no Dishnetwork channels I would like to watch, so I don't see paying for an HD receiver from them let alone another $10, $12 or whatever a month. So I'm thinking about getting a HD Tuner and just put an antenna up.

If at all possible, I would like to not run anything else to the X1. I have it hooked up via the component breakout cable, that way I won't ever have to switch sources at the PJ (easy for the family).

I have been thinking about getting an AV receiver that has several component inputs (Onkyo 602), but if a switch box like the above would do the trick and do it automatically...that would be sweet (must be easy for family as I travel a lot).
I simply hooked up each of the sources to the Audio Authority via component video & optical/coaxial digital audio. The Audio Authority is connected to my projector via component video and to my receiver ( only use one input ) via optical digital audio.

I need only turn on the source that I want to watch/hear & that's all there is to it! I don't have to switch inputs on the projector or receiver.

Family loves it and it works well. Even better now that I bought a Harmony 880!

as for the OTA HD receiver, I bought an open box Zenith @ Circuit City for $149. Works great!

Sonic
Old 05-23-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonicflood
I simply hooked up each of the sources to the Audio Authority via component video & optical/coaxial digital audio. The Audio Authority is connected to my projector via component video and to my receiver ( only use one input ) via optical digital audio.

I need only turn on the source that I want to watch/hear & that's all there is to it! I don't have to switch inputs on the projector or receiver.

Family loves it and it works well. Even better now that I bought a Harmony 880!

as for the OTA HD receiver, I bought an open box Zenith @ Circuit City for $149. Works great!

Sonic
Sweet. Sounds like a great great/easy to use set up. Will have to look at it.
Old 05-23-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm. I haven't researched this, but where did you find OTA HD receivers for that little? I had read that Dish had a $250 or 300 (can't remember which) buy-in for leasing one of their HD IRDs. I usually see OTA receivers for 250-300, too. The good ones are more.

There was a price drop on HD-Tivos from DirecTV last week, plus they were still giving out credits before that. I got both deals and ended up getting one for $399. Earlier than I planned since I was going to wait for fall shows and football, but worth it.

With D*, I can simply turn on the HD package Monday to get MNFL on ESPN HD this year, then turn it off afterwards. Cost will be pennies/month. Same goes if I want to catch something on HBO HD or whatever. Can you do something like this with Dish?

Last edited by Spiky; 05-23-05 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-23-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oooops my bad. I guess I looked to quickly earlier, most of those Samsungs I have seend are $229 to $279, not $129 to $179. Guess that does put me back into looking a DishNetwork.

You know, I have never tried to buy a channel and then cancel it. I know you can do it both on the Dish Menu and on line. So they end up pro-ratting it, just like the phone companies? Had not thought of that. That would be cool.
Old 05-23-05, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky

Local channel
ESPN HD
NFL ST (DirecTV only)
Don't forget ABC for MNF (I don't think the switch to ESPN is until next year, is it?)
Old 05-24-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Which would be a local channel.

Or are they offering ABC HD on waivers for those out of town, now?
Old 05-24-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
You know, I have never tried to buy a channel and then cancel it. I know you can do it both on the Dish Menu and on line. So they end up pro-ratting it, just like the phone companies? Had not thought of that. That would be cool.
Don't know about Dish. But DirecTV charges $5 or something if you reduce your service over the phone. But they charge nothing if you do it online. So, yes, it ends up prorated.