Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

whats a good region free dvd player?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats a good region free dvd player? that is progressive scan and dts. are there any inexpensive ones out there?
Old 05-20-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you mean that it can decode DTS? Because pretty much 100% of current DVD players can pass DTS to a receiver. Only portables and some funky ones are an issue with this.

Also, what is your definition of good? I tried one of the most popular region-free players at this site a while back and found it to have atrocious picture and feeble functionality. But it played all sorts of formats easily so people called it "good".
Old 05-20-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What TV do you have?
Old 05-20-05, 03:45 PM

I've personally had no complaints with my Progressive scan Philips DVP642. It does a good job a PAL to NTSC and plays other Region DVD's with no problems. For the price I can't complain what so ever....

I got mine for $59 at a local Walmart.
Old 05-21-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Phillips 642 is the shit, it also plays divix files too boot. When I was living in the dorms that things was borrowed so much from me, by people wanting to watch their divix tv shows. In fact the RA borrowed it and had a lost marathon in the lobby. Great little player.
Old 05-21-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 508 Likes on 352 Posts
I give the 642 another
Old 05-25-05, 12:01 AM

I agree with the others, its a nice player and it does so many things for a low price
Old 05-25-05, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
My only issue with the 642 is the very soft picture. That and DiVX load times are pretty bad. Other than that, decent player. It tends to have reliability issues, although mine works great.
Old 05-25-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My point is made. Too bad the OP didn't come back.
Old 05-27-05, 02:01 PM

philips 642 region free?

I saw a Philips DVP642 at Target today and almost bought it. But I don't know where to find the info to make it region free-anyone know? thanks
Old 05-29-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Philips DVP642 is at a special price at Amazon now of $59.94 with free shipping available. You have to put it in your shopping cart to see the price. I finally broke down and ordered one.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance
Old 05-29-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by philip s
I saw a Philips DVP642 at Target today and almost bought it. But I don't know where to find the info to make it region free-anyone know? thanks
Region Code Hack
642 Specs and hack Link

From what I have been reading, there have been mixed reviews on this model. I am tempted to buy one also, but will wait until I see the price ~$50-55.
Old 05-29-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
That player is great. It can resume up to five DVDs and has been able to play all my disk.

My only negative is you can not see long file names and the order wasn't the same as on windows. So before I burn a disk I have to rename the disk so episode numbers are first. So instead of desperate housewives 1x10, I have 110desperate housewives so it plays in the correct order.
Old 06-02-05, 12:24 AM

It's $57.62 at my local Wal-Mart
Old 06-02-05, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those complaining about PQ, c'mon, it's a $60 dollar player fer chrissakes. A $60 player that plays almost anything you throw in it, region free hackable, and does decent PAL to NTSC conversion. If you want better picture with the same capabilities, shell out the $150-200 for an Oppo and another couple grand for a really nice DVI equipped monitor to hook it to.
Old 06-02-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are other players under $100 that are far better. I stand by my comments made here in various threads this year. If you want to play PC formats, use a PC, you obviously already have one. If you are using a small TV, your 17-20" PC monitor is probably better, anyway. Or just spend up to $100 to get a better player with similar capabilities. Can't afford the extra $40?? Try buying 3 fewer DVDs this month, presto!!

And if you are using an HDTV, get a real player. Pony up the $99-130 for the Pioneer 588A or the $200 for the Oppo, you don't have to buy the $3500 Denon 5910 to far outweigh these cheesy Philips, Cyberhome, etc. POSs. Malata throws a much better picture and is region free, $99. So will the JVC/Jatons. I dumped my Philips 726 on a family member and replaced it with my old Malata. SOOO much better functionality, and the Malata isn't exactly what I'd call perfect for functionality. The PQ is better, too, even though I haven't gotten around to re-calibrating it. And this is on a 20", not my big screen.

I don't know, maybe I'm starting a crusade.
Old 06-02-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
There are other players under $100 that are far better. I stand by my comments made here in various threads this year. If you want to play PC formats, use a PC, you obviously already have one. If you are using a small TV, your 17-20" PC monitor is probably better, anyway. Or just spend up to $100 to get a better player with similar capabilities. Can't afford the extra $40?? Try buying 3 fewer DVDs this month, presto!!

And if you are using an HDTV, get a real player. Pony up the $99-130 for the Pioneer 588A or the $200 for the Oppo, you don't have to buy the $3500 Denon 5910 to far outweigh these cheesy Philips, Cyberhome, etc. POSs. Malata throws a much better picture and is region free, $99. So will the JVC/Jatons. I dumped my Philips 726 on a family member and replaced it with my old Malata. SOOO much better functionality, and the Malata isn't exactly what I'd call perfect for functionality. The PQ is better, too, even though I haven't gotten around to re-calibrating it. And this is on a 20", not my big screen.

I'm with ya Spike. I totally regret letting my fiancee have my Toshiba 4900 while I held onto the 642, only for the DiVX capabilties (which I dont' even use). Every night I watch that 642 and wish I had my Toshiba back. Luckily we move into together in July
Old 06-02-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Luckily we move into together
Interesting phrase. Hopefully you'll still mean it in a few years.

Old 06-05-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
For those complaining about PQ, c'mon, it's a $60 dollar player fer chrissakes. A $60 player that plays almost anything you throw in it, region free hackable, and does decent PAL to NTSC conversion. If you want better picture with the same capabilities, shell out the $150-200 for an Oppo and another couple grand for a really nice DVI equipped monitor to hook it to.
Finally! It had to be said. In the real world you get what you pay for.
Old 06-16-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

does anyone know where I can get any of these better players? My Philips642 died tonight after only having it for 4 1/2 months. There were a lot of things I didn't like about it anyway, but I need a new region free player now. I would like one that either comes region free or has an easy remote hack.....I don't want to have to burn anything or flash anything or anything else I don't understand. any help or advice is much appreciated. thanks.
Old 06-17-05, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
I like my DVP642 because, for the price, it's a work horse. It plays discs that any of the other players in the house have trouble with. That said, the picture is unremarkable and the same goes for the audio. There are far better players out there in terms of video and audio. It just depends on what your willing to spend.

I would recommend the Oppo OPDV971H (http://www.oppodigital.com/). I've read a lot of good things about it and am planning to get one myself. On caveat, though. It only does progressive via its DVI output. The component imputs only pass interlaced.
Old 06-20-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Try buying 3 fewer DVDs this month...
Bite your tongue!
Old 06-20-05, 09:48 AM
Banned

I still love my Cyberhome (CH-301?). The thing is indistructible and cheap. The only knock I've ever heard about it was that component progressive scan sucks quality-wise, but it works well in S-video and composite. Easy remote hack and has lasted me the few years I've had it as my secondary player.

I'm pretty sure that model is no longer being made, but I would check out what players they are putting out now and seeing how easy they are to hack at videohelp.com

Edit: Maybe it was the 402? All I remember is that I paid $40 for it.

Last edited by joshd2012; 06-20-05 at 09:51 AM.