Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A New Hope indeed...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A New Hope indeed...

Old 05-16-05, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A New Hope indeed...

I've heard Steven Speilberg I think it was watched Revenge of the Sith twice and he said you will leave the theater crying (no, not to get your money back!), but because it is sad. I was just thinking, it would kinda give more meaning to the title of the next film, "A New Hope". Just when about everyone died and you think all hope is lost, along comes Luke, who is A New Hope. I know I'm probably just stating the obvious, but I never really thought about it like this before.
Old 05-17-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WTF? You're supposed to be a senior member, pal!!
Old 05-17-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 05-17-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by marioxb
I know I'm probably just stating the obvious...
I agree completely.
Old 05-17-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know I'm probably just stating the obvious, but I never really thought about it like this before.
Just out of curiosity, what did you think the title meant before?
Old 05-18-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
NO WAY!!!!!!
Old 05-18-05, 08:08 PM

Honestly, I never really knew rhe meaning of any of the titles.

The Phantom Menace.. I guess it's Palpatine because no one knows he is bad?
Attack of the Clones.. well duh, the clone dudes, like attack
Revenge of the Sith.. because the Sith kill all of the Jedi?
A New Hope.. well I didn't know the Jedi were killed before there were prequels, just thought that they "gave up" or something
The Empire Strikes Back.. Death Star blew up, let's try again?
Return of the Jedi.. Luke came back to Dagobah like he said we would?
Old 05-18-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

exactly and Darth Maul, the Jedi think all the sith are gone. I have always thought this title was awesome, maybe the best one.

nothing to discuss here, excellent flick, the worst title.

Yes , a revenge a thousand years in the making. Awesome title, and a nod to the original return of the jedi title.

A New Hope.. well I didn't know the Jedi were killed before there were prequels, just thought that they "gave up" or something

I always knew what a new hope was, but its more powerful now that you know how bad thing got. What do you mean gave up? Ben tells Luke that Vader helped "hunt down and destroy the Jedi"

Yes the Empire is done yet, awesome title.

I think its bigger than that, not Luke returning, but the Return of the Jedi Order, Luke becomes a Jedi, and will eventually recreate the order.
Old 05-18-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

exactly and Darth Maul, the Jedi think all the sith are gone. I have always thought this title was awesome, maybe the best one.

nothing to discuss here, excellent flick, the worst title.

Yes , a revenge a thousand years in the making. Awesome title, and a nod to the original return of the jedi title.

I always knew what a new hope was, but its more powerful now that you know how bad thing got. What do you mean gave up? Ben tells Luke that Vader helped "hunt down and destroy the Jedi"

Yes the Empire isn't done yet, awesome title.

I think its bigger than that, not Luke returning, but the Return of the Jedi Order, Luke becomes a Jedi, and will eventually recreate the order.
Old 05-18-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shaggy
The Jedi title is actually about Anakin. His return to becoming a good Jedi again.
Old 05-18-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lara Means
The Jedi title is actually about Anakin. His return to becoming a good Jedi again.
It works on 3 levels:

1. Literal/marketing: "Hey, Luke's back!"
2. Saga: "Anakin is redeemed"
3. Future: "The Jedi Order can now be restored"

It's a perfect title, actually.
Old 05-18-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Phantom Menace is actually Anakin. Because well he's a menace and nobody knows it yet. That's how I always thought of it. Especially with that first teaser poster of little Ani with the shadow of Darth.
Old 05-19-05, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The Phantom Menace is actually Anakin. Because well he's a menace and nobody knows it yet. That's how I always thought of it. Especially with that first teaser poster of little Ani with the shadow of Darth.
That's what is so cool about these flicks, I never thought of it that way before, but it also makes sense. I also agree with the 3 meanings of return of the jedi.
Old 05-19-05, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And I love how everyone biiiiiiiitched for months everytime a new prequel name was released..

I think they work really well.
Old 05-19-05, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

phan·tom also fan·tom n.

1. Something apparently seen, heard, or sensed, but having no physical reality; a ghost or an apparition. Something elusive or delusive.

2. An image that appears only in the mind; an illusion.

3. Something dreaded or despised.

Here we go again: The 'phantom' menace is the seperatists & their droid army. The real menace is Sidious & his clones.
Old 05-19-05, 04:50 AM

can't wait to watch "the revenge of the sith"
Old 05-19-05, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
"Luke be a Jedi tonight" would have been a better name for Return of the Jedi. Too bad the Simpsons werent around then.
Old 05-19-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Calculon
phan·tom also fan·tom n.

1. Something apparently seen, heard, or sensed, but having no physical reality; a ghost or an apparition. Something elusive or delusive.

2. An image that appears only in the mind; an illusion.

3. Something dreaded or despised.

Here we go again: The 'phantom' menace is the seperatists & their droid army. The real menace is Sidious & his clones.
According to Lucas, recently anyway, the Phantom Menace is Darth Sidious. You can extend it to Anakin's future, the clone army or whatever fits, but as OBi-Wan said, "I sense something elsewhere master, elusive".

Here's an nice write up about the title written before Lucas likened the title to Sidious in interviews.

"There is a great deal of speculation as to what the title, "The Phantom Menace", refers to; the titles of the other films seem to generally be self-explanatory. It is usually suggested that the title refers to Darth Sidious, Darth Maul, or the Sith in general.

The title could also refer to the origin of Darth Sidious' name, which is the adjective 'insidious'. The Oxford English Dictionary gives following definition:

Full of wiles or plots; lying in wait or seeking to entrap or ensnare; proceeding or operating secretly or subtly so as not to excite suspicion; sly, treacherous, deceitful, underhand, artful, cunning, crafty, wily. (Of persons and things.)

So the 'phantom' in the title of Episode I could be referring to the Dark Lord of the Sith and ‘menace’ to the meaning of the name 'Sidious.' Another possible meaning of the title is a subtle indication at the ultimate outcome of the Saga--Anakin becomes Darth Vader.

A further theory is based upon the understanding that the central menace of the movie, the Neimoidian dominated Trade Federation's blockade and invasion of Naboo, is itself nothing more than a phantom, a piece of political misdirection wrought by Darth Sidious as part of the machinations designed to bring about the ultimate victory of the Sith. In this sense, the key outcome of this movie is the elevation of Palpatine to the office of Chancellor - an outcome that would have resulted had the Trade Federation's gambit succeeded or failed. The keystone of the plot is the plight of the Naboo arousing a sympathy vote in the Senate. Whilst the heroes are focused on combating the threat to Naboo, they are unwitting pawns in a connivance of far greater scope.

Given Lucas' penchant for layered meanings in these movies, it is arguable that all these interpretations contain a grain of truth."

Last edited by DthRdrX; 05-19-05 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-19-05, 07:23 AM

Can anyone explain why the Sith lords are bear the "Darth" moniker?
Old 05-19-05, 09:42 PM

anyone? Bueller...bueller
Old 05-19-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by buckee1
Can anyone explain why the Sith lords are bear the "Darth" moniker?
I don't know the cannon reason, but I do know Lucas's reason. "Darth" means "dark", and "Vader" means "Father." I would presume the cannon reason wouldn't be too far removed from that, being these are dark lords and all.
Old 05-20-05, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Calculon
don't want to argue but that depends a great deal on your point of view. i take it to mean the Sith. as far as the Jedi are concerned "Phantom" defines the sith. afterall the seperatists and their droid are a physical reality that the Jedi are aware of. they are not however aware of the sith at the start of the movie
Old 05-20-05, 05:35 PM

Makes sense. Thanks, calhoun07.