Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Original album with most consecutive (track order) no 1 singles?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the title suggests:

what is the single original album - i say "original" to disqualify "best of"/"greatest hits" albums - with the most number 1 singles in consecutive track order?

this idea came to me via our illustrious Mr. Jackson's "Thriller" came on the other night... "Thriller" has the combo "Thriller"/"Beat It"/"Billie Jean", which i think all went to number one (in the states, at least).

-di doctor-
Old 05-16-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally Posted by DrRingDing
As the title suggests:

what is the single original album - i say "original" to disqualify "best of"/"greatest hits" albums - with the most number 1 singles in consecutive track order?

this idea came to me via our illustrious Mr. Jackson's "Thriller" came on the other night... "Thriller" has the combo "Thriller"/"Beat It"/"Billie Jean", which i think all went to number one (in the states, at least).

-di doctor-
I am not sure which album has the most #1s but the album Thriller had Beat It & Billie Jean which both went to #1. The Girl Is Mine (with Paul McCartney)maxed out at #2, Thriller maxed at #4, Wanna Be Startin' Something to #5, Human Nature to #7, and P.Y.T. to #10.

He had a separate #1 song in the middle of all of those hits which was Say Say Say (another duet w/ Sir Paul) but it was not on the album Thriller but was included on Paul's album Pipes of Peace.

So...only two #1s on Thriller but it is amazing the number of hits on that album alone.

I will have to look thru my book and see who might qualify for your question.

Oops...I just reread your post and it appears I have wasted a lot of my time. You asked for consecutive track order. D'oh. Kind of difficult to have since singles are released with no relation to their order on the album. Well, Michael has only two. I was thinking of consecutive order releases.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 05-16-05 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-16-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After a quick skimming of my book...looks like it might be the Bee Gees.

They had 6 consecutive #1 hits spread over two albums. They never put out an official Bee Gees album withe the Saturday Night Fever songs on it but most people consider it a Bee Gees album since 6 Bee Gees songs (singing) and 8 songs of the soundtrack were penned by the group.

Off Saturday Night Fever, they had 3 current #1s (How Deep Is Your Love, Stayin' Alive, and Night Fever) and a fourth #1 written by them but sung by Yvonne Ellman (If I Can't Have You) and two previous #1s from 1975 & 1976 which was included on the soundtrack (Jive Talkin' & You Should Be Dancing). Truly amazing.

Off their next album entitled Spirits Having Flown, which was a Bee Gees only album, they had 3 consecutive #1 hits (Too Much Heaven, Tragedy, and Love You Inside Out).

Last edited by Spiderbite; 05-16-05 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-16-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But wait...I can't believe this but it appears Mariah Carey may take the crown.

She had four consecutive #1s off her self-titled debut (Vision of Love, Love Takes Time, Someday, and I Don't Wanna Cry).

She also had three #1s off her album Daydream (Fantasy, One Sweet Day, and Always Be My Baby).
Old 05-16-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But wait again...Whitney Houston appears to tie Mariah.

Her first album which was self-titled, had three #1s (Saving All My Love For You, How Will I Know, And Greates Love Of All).

Her next album with the original title of "Whitney" had four #1s (I Wanna Dance With Somebody Who Loves Me, Didn't We Almost Have It All, So Emotional, and Where Do Broken Hearts Go).

All seven of these songs were consecutive #1s.

Translation...none of these people ever have to worry about money.

The Beatles had 3 #1 hits on an album (Help!) and they would have likely had more but they tended to release some songs as singles only & not including them on their albums.
Old 05-16-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Oops...I just reread your post and it appears I have wasted a lot of my time. You asked for consecutive track order. D'oh. Kind of difficult to have since singles are released with no relation to their order on the album. Well, Michael has only two. I was thinking of consecutive order releases.

Well...looks like it is the Bee Gees (to answer your question in the longest way possible ).

All three of their #1s on Saturday Night Fever and Spirits Having Flown are back to back on the track order.
Old 05-17-05, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bad by Michael Jackson had 5 NUMBER ONE SINGLES:

1) I Just Can't Stop Loving You
2) Bad
3) The Way You Make Me Feel
4) Man In The Mirror
5) Dirty Diana
Old 05-17-05, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't think they were all #1s, but Cyndi Lauper's first album was:

1. Money Changes Everything
2. Girls Just Want to Have Fun
3. When You Were Mine
4. Time After Time
5. She Bop
Old 05-17-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Bad by Michael Jackson had 5 NUMBER ONE SINGLES:

1) I Just Can't Stop Loving You
2) Bad
3) The Way You Make Me Feel
4) Man In The Mirror
5) Dirty Diana

Damn..you're right. I can't believe I overlooked Bad when I was looking at the Thriller singles.

If you go by track order on the album, 2 are back to back (Bad & The Way You Make Me Feel) and then the other 3 are back to back (Man In The Mirror, I Just Can't Stop Loving You, and Dirty Diana). Smooth Criminal is after Diana in the track order and should have been a #1 as well (peaked at #7).
Old 05-17-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
I don't think they were all #1s, but Cyndi Lauper's first album was:

1. Money Changes Everything
2. Girls Just Want to Have Fun
3. When You Were Mine
4. Time After Time
5. She Bop

1. Money Changes Everything - peaked at #27
2. Girls Just Want to Have Fun - peaked at #2