Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

AUDIOSLAVE: Cuba concert to be released on DVD...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Audioslave Captures Cuba Visit For DVD

When Audioslave took the stage May 6 at Havana's outdoor Anti-Imperialist Tribunal to play a free show, guitarist Tom Morello admits he didn't know what to expect.

"We had no idea if it was going to be 70 people or 70,000," he tells Billboard. It turns out it was the latter -- many of whom were clearly fans of the band. "A lot of them were singing along, some were making a mosh pit, some were salsaing, some were pogoing. A lot of them just couldn't believe it was really happening."

Despite U.S. restrictions on travel to Cuba, a number of American artists have played there. However, Audioslave is believed to be the first rock band to perform an outdoor show in the country. The show and the band's adventures in Cuba were recorded for a future DVD release.

The trip was organized by the U.S. government and the Instituto Cubano de la Musica and included meetings for the band with music students and Cuban musicians. "It was astonishing," Morello says. "Around every corner there were great musicians."

Despite the obvious tie-in with the band's May 24 Interscope/Epic release, "Out of Exile," Morello stresses playing Cuba had nothing to do with the project's title. "We're not that clever," he says. "We made overtures years ago, when we were in Rage Against the Machine, and for one reason or another had been unable to get it done. It was a fulfillment of a dream."

There were reams of red tape to push through on both the American and Cuban side -- so much that Morello says the band didn't get the final OK until 36 hours before it was set to leave.

Two weeks before the trip, the group had a surreal conference call with representatives from all sides. "It was this incredible conversation," Morello says. "It was, 'You may not go here. You may not talk about this. The rooms are going to be tapped.' And it couldn't have been less like that. Everyone was so gracious and warm."

After surviving all the bureaucracy, Morello says, "we walked out onstage and our drum monitors weren't working, and we were like, 'After all this, we're not going to be able to play?' But we just took a lesson from some of the street musicians we met there and just improvised and just rocked it until they could fix them."

[BILLBOARD.com]
Old 05-14-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will buy the DVD. Is a setlist available?
Old 09-16-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Audioslave's Cuban Visit Chronicled On CD, DVD

The two-disc "Live in Cuba" captures Audioslave's recent historic visit to Cuba, where the band played the first outdoor free rock concert in the U.S.-embargoed island nation's Anti-Imperialist Plaza in Havana. Due Oct. 11, the two-disc deluxe package will feature a DVD and a CD and will mark the band's first released performances of songs by the members' former bands, Rage Against The Machine and Soundgarden.

The DVD will boast with a 30-minute documentary, concert footage and a TV special about the event with a total of 18 songs. Also included is a bonus live CD culled from an recent AOL Sessions performance. A single DVD version will also be sold, with the documentary and 14 live tracks.

"We had no idea if it was going to be 70 people or 70,000," Audioslave guitarist Tom Morello told Billboard.com in May, when he revealed that a DVD was in the offing. "It turns out it was the latter -- many of whom were clearly fans of the band. A lot of them were singing along, some were making a mosh pit, some were salsa-ing, some were pogo-ing. A lot of them just couldn't believe it was really happening."

Here is the "Live in Cuba" deluxe edition track list:

"Set It Off"
"Your Time Has Come"
"Like a Stone"
"Spoonman"
"The Worm"
"Gasoline"
"Heaven's Dead"
"Doesn't Remind Me"
"Be Yourself"
"Bulls on Parade"
"Sleep Now In the Fire"
"Out of Exile"
"Outshined"
"Shadow"
"Black Hole Sun"
"I Am the Highway"
"Show Me How To Live"
"Cochise"

BILLBOARD.com
Old 09-17-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
More details:

Side 2:
01 - "Documentary"
02 - "TV Version"

Bonus Material:
01 - "Be Yourself"
02 - "Loud Love" (Soundgarden Cover)
03 - "Doesn't Remind Me"
04 - "Out Of Exile"
05 - "Sleep Now In The Fire" (Rage Against The Machine Cover)
Old 09-17-05, 02:38 PM

This looks great!
Old 09-18-05, 07:44 PM

if anyone hasn't seen it here is the link to the sessions at AOL performances...
Old 09-19-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't much like music DVDs but this is one case where I may have to make an exception

-Gunshy
Old 10-11-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

anyone else pick this up today?

I bought the deluxe version today....it includes a bonus 5 song CD from AOL Sessions, and the DVD with 18 tracks (don't get the standard version, it only has 14!) . It also has a 37 minute documentary and a 22 minute "TV version"...
I was glad to find out it is in anamorphic 16x9 (the box gave no aspect ratio details), but the only audio is stereo PCM (no Dolby 5.1 surround)...
The bonus documentary is 16x9 enhanced as well, but the "TV version" is only letterboxed 4x3...
From my brief sampling, the picture quality looks really nice, and the sound is sweet as well, but does anyone know why the WHOLE show isn't included? From all the reports I read, the concert featured 26 songs, but the deluxe DVD only has 18. Setlists I have seen included Exploder, Drown Me Slowly, Hypnotize, Getaway Car, Killing In The Name Of, etc....
I wish that if for some reason they didn't want to put some of their performances from that evening in the "main" concert program, they would have included them as a bonus feature....
It would have been a better use of disc space than the "TV version", which is redundant since it appears to just be a shortened, edited together clip show of the already included documentary with some of the already included performances...

Oh well....I still am glad they released it, and will enjoy what was included!

Matt
Old 10-12-05, 10:04 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW, this concert is on DirecTV's freeview every weekend this month. Channel 124.
Old 10-12-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Did the audio quality of the bonus CD sound horrible to anyone else?
It sounds like a 96 bit mp3 streamed via dialup.
Old 10-20-05, 05:29 PM

I bought the Deluxe Edition from Amazon and I am watching the DVD now. It seems like a great DVD. I was a little worried because some of the Amazon reviews stated that Chris Cornell's voice sounded terrible, but he sounds ok to me.
Old 10-20-05, 06:43 PM
Retired

Just finished watching. It was good, but not great.

Cornell's voice is off, and the band just didn't have their usual energy. Pretty lame that there's no DD 5.1 and/or DTS as well. Not to mention the not having the whole set even on the setlists.

But still a good show and the documentary is decent as well. Just dissappointed with the performance compared to when I caught them live a couple years ago the lack of a 5.1 track.
Old 10-20-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if i had to guess, the reason for no 5.1 is the small production (it is in cuba), also, a reason possibly for not including every song is lyrics, just by including "killing in the name" would give the dvd a "parental advisory" sticker.
Old 10-21-05, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Just finished watching. It was good, but not great.

Cornell's voice is off, and the band just didn't have their usual energy. Pretty lame that there's no DD 5.1 and/or DTS as well. Not to mention the not having the whole set even on the setlists.

But still a good show and the documentary is decent as well. Just dissappointed with the performance compared to when I caught them live a couple years ago the lack of a 5.1 track.

I agree with this. Cornell's voice is pretty bad. I saw them live twice and they were much, much better than this. But those shows were in small venues so that might have made a difference.
Old 10-21-05, 02:12 PM
Retired

Just snagged floor tickets for the show next Wednesday. Hopefully they are in better form then.
Old 10-23-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Yeah, I've watched about half so far and the concert isn't really as good as I was expecting... but I'm glad it's anamorphic.

Wanted to see them and Seether last month...but $45 was a bit much. A $13 concert DVD will do for now.
Old 10-24-05, 05:35 AM

Here is a DVD review I found:
http://www.dvdreview.com/reviews/pages/2081.shtml
Old 10-25-05, 12:21 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
if i had to guess, the reason for no 5.1 is the small production (it is in cuba),
Possibly, still sucks

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
also, a reason possibly for not including every song is lyrics, just by including "killing in the name" would give the dvd a "parental advisory" sticker.
I doubt it. I don't see why they'd care. And even if so that's not enough of a reason to only get 69 minutes of a 2 1/2 hour concert. Most of the cut songs wouldn't have got the sticker.
Old 10-25-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Incomplete concert = no sale.
Old 10-27-05, 11:18 AM
Retired

Went to the show last night and they were amazing. Cornell sounded great, so he was just having an off night in Cuba. Maybe he was just rusty as that was in May when they just started touring again after a good while off.

He's gotten MUCH better on the Rage songs. Sleep Now in the Fire was 10x better than on the DVD, and he was spot on on Killing in the Name Of, didn't miss Zach at all on it. Morello went nuts at the end of it too, probably the most I've ever seen him jump and spaz around and that's saying a lot. The mosh pit was fucking insane too, luckily I'd backed up some (mainly for my g/f) and we avoided it before it got that crazy.

Long ass encore to, Cornell came out by himself and did Black Hole Sun accoustic, then played a medley of accoustic songs (one I didn't know, getaway car, the curse) then played half of I Am the Highway himself with the band coming out to finish it, then they closed with Show Me How to Live, Killing in the Name Of, and Cochise.

Highlights for me were Spoonman, Killing in the Name of, and Out of Exile, along with the accoustic part.

They also played a new song which was fantastic and had a great funky vibe to it. Cornell said they'd started recorded some songs on the road and should have the third cd out in the spring! Much better than 3 years or so in between the last albums.

Can't wait for the new album and next tour!