Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Entertainment Weekly Cover

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-13-05, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Short and sweet, Hayden all dressed in his garb with his lightsaber is on the this weeks cover of Entertainment Weekly and I wanted to know if anyone had a scan of it? Somewhere where I could obtain the picture....and oh yeah there's a nice piece on Revenge of the Sith too. But the picture people, the picture.
Old 05-13-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah, pimp Star Wars one last time for some coin, right before they rip the film and Lucas a new one. EW's calling card.

No magazine or publication has ever pimped Star Wars like EW does.
Old 05-14-05, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Terrell
Ah, pimp Star Wars one last time for some coin, right before they rip the film and Lucas a new one. EW's calling card.

I have Disney Adventures to prove you wrong. Interviews about supposed 7th,8th,9th films, facts, pictures, the whole shabang! Granted it was 8 years ago but its prove.
Old 05-14-05, 12:20 AM

Well, EW may even top them. However, thanks for the heads up. I'd like to see the picture and read the article.
Old 05-14-05, 12:50 AM

From the article:

"I think the problem most hardcore fans had with the movies is that they wanted to cut to the chase," says prequels producer Rick McCallum. "They wanted Darth. You could almost go from Episode III now and do two more films-you know, Episode 3.1 and 3.2. Just to see Vader evolve..." McCallum pauses, and the idea just hangs there, tantalizing. "But those aren't the films George wanted to make."

Uh, yeah unfortunate. That would have been better. And I don't think many devoted SW fans would agree with that statement only in hindsight; after seeing Episode I and II. That was what we thought we were going to get in the first place.

I didn't post this because I'm trying to bash the Prequels. I feel like I've beaten on them enough and now I just want to enjoy whats left of SW. I'm just glad some people associated with the film (and I kinda of sense it with Lucas as well) are starting to admit they might have done it a little differently if they could do them over again.

Last edited by IanH; 05-14-05 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-14-05, 12:57 AM

That was what we thought we were going to get in the first place.
Maybe you and others wanted that, but I didn't. The last thing I need is to see is Vader the serial killer hacking up people for three films, and thank God Lucas didn't go that route. I was much more interested in Anakin's beginnings. Aside from some flaws and execution problems, I enjoyed them and these films will ultimately enhance the original trilogy when I watch them, far more than that other silly nonsense.

That was what we thought we were going to get in the first place.
That was what some people thought they were going to get, not all of us.

There's always the originals for those that hate the prequels.
Old 05-14-05, 01:22 AM

Maybe you and others wanted that, but I didn't. The last thing I need is to see is Vader the serial killer hacking up people for three films, and thank God Lucas didn't go that route. I was much more interested in Anakin's beginnings. .

No. That's not it. Mostly we wanted to see a better version of Anakin.

And don't tell me the Rebellion didn't have any heroes and victories before Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, and R2D2 came around. It didn't have to be about Vader "the serial killer". For instance, Episode I and II could have covered Young Teen Anakin, his romance with Padme, The Fall of the Old Republic, and the Fall of Anakin. Lucas should have focused more on Anakin struggling with the Dark Side. The pressure of being The Chosen One. Lucas could have focused on Anakin not wanting such a heavy responsiblity and The Dark Side being the easy way out and the solution to all his problems. Like Jesus wrestling with the Dark Angel in the New Testament but in this story Anakin loses and what happens to "the World" because of it. There was too little religion/myth and too much dicking about trying to please young teen sensibilities. Its kind of there but not really. The Prequels so far have only hinted upon it and not really driven it home. It seemed like Anakin was struggling more with teen angst and puppy love and not a heady destiny with Fate. Then Episode III could have told the story of the Birth of the Rebellion. How cool would have it been to see a young Leia find her place in the Resistance? To see how Yoda might have been supporting the Rebellion from exile? Wedge in his first battle? Jango, QuiGon, Darth Maul could all have been there as well. The Prequels could have done without all that fat and exposition. Leaner. Not necessarily meaner. And it would have linked Episode III more tightly to Episode IV. That could have been one possibility among many.

Last edited by IanH; 05-14-05 at 02:57 AM.
Old 05-14-05, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by IanH
No. That's not it. Mostly we wanted to see a better version of Anakin.

And don't tell me the Rebellion didn't have any heroes and victories before Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, and R2D2 came around. It didn't have to be about Vader "the serial killer". For instance, Episode I and II could have covered Young Teen Anakin, his romance with Padme, The Fall of the Old Republic, and the Fall of Anakin. Lucas should have focused more on Anakin struggling with the Dark Side. The pressure of being The Chosen One. Lucas could have focused on Anakin not wanting such a heavy responsiblity and The Dark Side being the easy way out and the solution to all his problems. Like Jesus wrestling with the Dark Angel in the New Testament but in this story Anakin loses and what happens to "the World" because of it. There was too little religion/myth and too much dicking about trying to please young teen sensibilities. Its kind of there but not really. The Prequels so far have only hinted upon it and not really driven it home. It seemed like Anakin was struggling more with teen angst and puppy love and not a heady destiny with Fate. Then Episode III could have told the story of the Birth of the Rebellion. How cool would have it been to see a young Leia find her place in the Resistance? To see how Yoda might have been supporting the Rebellion from exile? Wedge in his first battle? Jango, QuiGon, Darth Maul could all have been there as well. The Prequels could have done without all that fat and exposition. Leaner. Not necessarily meaner. And it would have linked Episode III more tightly to Episode IV. That could have been one possibility among many.
This is a shining example why George makes the movies, and we the fans don't.
Old 05-14-05, 03:44 AM

Mostly we wanted to see a better version of Anakin.
Yes, I know some fans wanted to see a 6'6" tall, 250 pound imposing, super badass. They wanted a humanized Darth Vader. Had they gotten their way, it would have been a very dull, at least after one film, and he would have been one-dimensional. You can argue about some of Hayden's uneven performance in AOTC as well as some of the execution, but you can't argue about his depth and growth from one film to the next, in my opinion.

Then Episode III could have told the story of the Birth of the Rebellion.
I didn't really want to see that. These films aren't about the rebellion. They're about Anakin. Lucas has concentrated on Anakin, though not in a way you may have liked. Though it would probably be best to actually see Episode III before we make any sort of judgements.

How cool would have it been to see a young Leia find her place in the Resistance? To see how Yoda might have been supporting the Rebellion from exile? Wedge in his first battle?
Sounds exactly like you wanted Lucas to remake the original trilogy all over again. We've already seen Leia at the head of a rebellion, and she was very young. We've already seen Wedge in battle, and Yoda in exile. What's the point of all that? Lucas wanted to tell how Anakin became Vader, his backstory. I can think of at least a hundred things that would have been cool to see, but wouldn't necessarily made a great fillm. Heck, there are a ton of things in the prequels now that are cool to see. Some just wanted to see something else entirely.

I don't know, but it sounds like you're trying to come up with ways the prequels could have appealed to you more, not how to make them better. better.
Old 05-14-05, 08:03 AM

Absolutely!!! Thes assholes have no issue at all with throwing out 5 covers with SW for the same ish, but they just can't help but blast Lucas a new one at every single opportunity.

I cancelled my sub because of thier bi-polar hatred of Lucas.
Old 05-14-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
As a loyal subscriber to EW I have to ask: where the FUCK is my issue?!?
Old 05-14-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
As a loyal subscriber to EW I have to ask: where the FUCK is my issue?!?
It was delivered to the dark side...

Oh, if you wanna see a small pic of the cover, go to their website and in the bottom right is the pic (it's a link to subscribe)
Old 05-14-05, 10:02 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mistake they made was starting TPM with the whole movie being Anakin as a little kid.

That was utterly pointless, the little story in that flick could have been flash backs, Darth Maul could have been introduced to fight an older obi-wan and qui-gon while a teen Anakin was in a space battle, the tusken raider scene from AOTC could have been there. The second movie could have ended with Anakins fall to the dark side, his battle with Obi-wan could happen early in the 3rd movie, make fans happy with more screen time of Vader in suit.

But they are Lucas' movies, and he did them the way he wanted, so we really have no right to complain. I'll just watch 3-6 most often.
Old 05-14-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
The mistake they made was starting TPM with the whole movie being Anakin as a little kid.

That was utterly pointless, the little story in that flick could have been flash backs, Darth Maul could have been introduced to fight an older obi-wan and qui-gon while a teen Anakin was in a space battle, the tusken raider scene from AOTC could have been there. The second movie could have ended with Anakins fall to the dark side, his battle with Obi-wan could happen early in the 3rd movie, make fans happy with more screen time of Vader in suit.

But they are Lucas' movies, and he did them the way he wanted, so we really have no right to complain. I'll just watch 3-6 most often.

Agree about TPM being pointless for the most part. I would have had AOTC be the first, have the second be a Clone Wars movie, and the third remain as is...
Old 05-14-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's BS. Since when have viewers not had a right to voice their opinion of a movie?
Old 05-14-05, 01:42 PM

When I read Rick McCallum's quote, maybe I read too much into it, but it sounded like there was some remorse. In the same article Lucas is quoted as saying that much of Episode I and II were padded with filler material or "jazz riffs....things that I enjoy....just doodle around a lot" I keep thinking of what might have been if I and II had more meat to them. Lucas also goes on to say "That's the whole point to me. Making it the way I want it to be......Somebody's got to be happy out of all this."

I have a feeling I'll be rewatching Episodes III, IV, and V the most.

Yes, I'm going into this new one with fairly high hopes despite the way I feel about I and II.

Last edited by IanH; 05-14-05 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-14-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Completely agree with this. Sith should have been the second movie.
Old 05-14-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're lucky I'm bored at work and have my EW right here

Old 05-14-05, 02:09 PM

I don't know, but it sounds like you're trying to come up with ways the prequels could have appealed to you more, not how to make them better. better.
Yep. As I was trying to point out with Rick McCallum's quote and the fact Lucas admits that much of I and II has a lot of padding and self indulgent stuff yeah it could have been "better". I'll still cringe at parts of I and II (some of III I suspect as well) and I'll always wish ROTJ was executed better. Anyways I know there's nothing I or other SW fans can do about it. I've always defended Lucas right as the creator to do what he wants. It is his baby. We're all just hoping for the best with Epidode III.
Old 05-14-05, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by darqleo
Thank you very much.