Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I do believe the marketing has gone a little too far...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran across this at my local Target last weekend....
http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/pro...;pcid1=;pcid2=
....Thought to myself, "Eh, that's retarded, oh well."

I was servicing one of my accounts today and came across a marketing flyer....
http://www.lotterypost.com/news-111093.htm
Cereal bowl shaped like R2's head, cool....Lightsaber cereal spoon, even cooler.....C-3PO on a box of Cheez-its, um, okaaay? But, I must say, this is one of the most bizarre marketing gimmicks ever. Ingenious from the point of the lotto entity itself....they'll sell millions, thus, making millions, but I'd venture to guess that many will be kept as collectibles (not stratched), thus, saving the lotto biz cash by never having to pay out.....INGENIOUS!!!!
Old 05-12-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Star Wars marketing has been out of control for years. That's one reason why Lucas needs to axe his silly idea for two Star Wars TV shows. He has so saturated the American public with Star Wars books, videogames, movies, and everything you can think of, that he's going to turn it into Star Trek. When it reaches that point, nobody will give a rats ass anymore about Star Wars, just like Star Trek. When that happens, the only people that will really care are the extreme fans.

Even if you don't like the prequels and feel they somewhat diminished the name of Star Wars, it's still something special, an event. Keep doing TV shows and market things at a ridiculous level, and it won't be special anymore. But I suspect that Lucas will continue marketing every idiotic idea manufacturers bring him. He'll saturate American airwaves with TV shows, where Star Wars does not belong.

He needs to stop all of the marketing, except only the quality stuff such as books, videogames, high end toys, and toys for kids. Other than that, he needs to stop this ridiculous fast food marketing, toilet paper, sprinklers, bed spreads, and the rest of the silly crap. Then do away with the idea of the TV show ideas, and put Star Wars to bed.

This is the only real area I have a problem with Lucas, other than his insistence on writing his scripts when he claims he hates doing it. After a while, enough is enough.

Last edited by Terrell; 05-12-05 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-12-05, 10:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I want my Star Wars flamethrower!
Old 05-12-05, 10:50 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if he slapped Star Wars name on one. He needs to know when to say no. Star Wars is no longer a set of movies, it's a brand name.

All studios now market their films because of Star Wars, but most of them haven't taken it to a ridiculous degree. I'm sure there is some silly product for LOTR or Matrix. At least they've managed to control it, and they don't even have control of it like Lucas. But there are literally dozens, if not hundreds of silly products for Star Wars.

Maybe if the Wachowskis and Jackson control those properties and could make hundreds of millions of dollars like Lucas does, maybe they go overboard too. Who knows.
Old 05-12-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Star Wars has been a branded name for some time now. The marketing is strong with this one. Not to mention this is the last film so why not pull out all the stops?

Here's some funny ones from SA.

Old 05-12-05, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry man, you lost me at, "servicing one of my accounts.."
Old 05-12-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Making a delivery to a local market....I was doing a price change and saw a flyer from the lotto retailer.
Old 05-13-05, 12:06 AM

Not to mention this is the last film so why not pull out all the stops?
I don't have a problem with him marketing the film heavily. But the shit you posted above it what I can't stand. It's just ridiculous. I knew Lucas had gone overboard when he allowed Star Wars toilet paper. Now people can wipe their ass with it.
Old 05-13-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
My main gripe is that all of the PR with Vader hawking M&Ms, Pepsi, and Burger King might hurt the bad ass image he is supposed to have.
Old 05-13-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Star Wars has been a branded name for some time now. The marketing is strong with this one. Not to mention this is the last film so why not pull out all the stops?

Here's some funny ones from SA.

funny stuff.....
Old 05-13-05, 02:27 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well they're milking it alright.
Old 05-16-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

but the Darth Dew Slurpee is forkin yummy!!! star wars forever!!!!!! lucas rocks!!!

j
Old 05-16-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
My main gripe is that all of the PR with Vader hawking M&Ms, Pepsi, and Burger King might hurt the bad ass image he is supposed to have.
I thought the Pepsi and Burger King bits were pretty hilarious.
Old 05-16-05, 06:25 PM

Location: Chicago...NOT my kind of town, I hate urban living, but have no choice
I like the ads. It shows that you're supposed to have FUN with this stuff and NOT treat it all like some damn religion.
Old 05-17-05, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I thought the Pepsi and Burger King bits were pretty hilarious.
The Burger King one with the Stormtrooper blasting into the burger cooker was pretty funny.
Old 05-18-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've heard here and elswhere that the marketing is nuts, but I really haven't seen that much. I don't know, maybe it's having Tivo and blowing through the ads? Not going to fast food places much? I just haven't noticed it. Only some online reporting, but not advertising.
Old 05-18-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Too bad Burger King doesn't release Star Wars glasses like they use to. I loved getting those when I was a kid.