Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

ESB question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-05, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
ESB question

Ok, I know this seems silly but it has been bothering me for quite some time.
The scene in ESB where Lando sells out Han and company. Lando takes Han, Leia and Chewbacca to a room where unknown to them Darth Vader is waiting. So the door opens, and the stunned trio sees Vader sitting at a table which is setup very formally. After trying and failing to sneak attack Vader, Vader says "We would be honored if you would join us" and the door shuts scene over. My question is did they actually sit down and have dinner and try to hash out their differences? Did Vader actually ever eat? I cant see him having gourmet meals considering he was more machine than man. Come to think of it, if I was Vader I would have been ticked off that my dinner guests tried to shoot me!
Old 05-11-05, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God damn funny.

Honestly, I thought that this weekend, I watched ESB, I didn't take it as far as dinner, but you see the cups at the table, and I was thinking, did they sit down and have a drink? If YOU were Han and Leia, would YOU drink from something that Vader and Fett whipped up for you? How DO those two drink infront of company? It was really confusing.

I also, as a side note, not to thread jack, got REALLY bothered by the scene when Luke leaved Yoda, and Ben says "That boy is our only hope", and Yoda hits the "No there is another" line as if Ben doesn't know there are twins, that bothered me.
Old 05-11-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Glad Im not the only one. As for the "That boy is our only hope" line, good thought. Since Yoda is some 900+ years old, maybe he was going senile and just blurted that out for no logical reason. He could have just said it to make Obi Wan feel better. lol.
Old 05-11-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts
I always thought that old Ben Kenobi was a sexist and didn't think much of Leia as a possible savior to the universe.
Old 05-11-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always thought they figured the rebellion would be crushed soon if a Jedi didn't step to the plate, and there wasn't enough time to train Leia. Or they knew Leia didn't have as much potential as Luke. Or Lucas thinks girls are icky.
Old 05-11-05, 10:44 AM

I also, as a side note, not to thread jack, got REALLY bothered by the scene when Luke leaved Yoda, and Ben says "That boy is our only hope", and Yoda hits the "No there is another" line as if Ben doesn't know there are twins, that bothered me.
I had brought that up a while back in the main thread. The explanation offered there was that Kenobi knows about Leia, but doesnt think that she is force sensitive like luke or that it's too late to train her. We will have to see what happens in the birth scene in the upcoming film to find out if that is really a slip up.
Old 05-11-05, 10:49 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think they ate, I think Vader just asked for the goods and threw in the cell. Vader wasn't the kind of guy that beat around the bush.
Old 05-11-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Fok
I don't think they ate, I think Vader just asked for the goods and threw in the cell. Vader wasn't the kind of guy that beat around the bush.
I'll go with this one. The table was to relax them for that split second when the door opened. Or maybe they knew that was a dining room already, so they wouldn't be afarid to go in. No one sat down..no one ate. Vader had them carried off and began to set the Luke trap.

As for Ben not mentioning Leia...maybe they checked the twin's midichlorian count at birth and Leia's was low.

(Okay..I ALMOST said that with a straight face!)
Old 05-11-05, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
I always thought that old Ben Kenobi was a sexist and didn't think much of Leia as a possible savior to the universe.

First and foremost, LOVE the name. My son yells that all the time, SEE THE HAT, I AM MRS.NESBIT.

If you name is your real name, and not from Toy Story, I am sorry.

Second, Kenobi, a sexist, genius, pure genius.
Old 05-11-05, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by BassDude
I'll go with this one. The table was to relax them for that split second when the door opened. Or maybe they knew that was a dining room already, so they wouldn't be afarid to go in. No one sat down..no one ate. Vader had them carried off and began to set the Luke trap.

Have to take you on here. Vader is many things, an emotional youngster, an unstable, obsessed Pat O'Brian type lover, a terrioist of the universe, and mostly, a mean, mean man. But clearly in episidoes I and II, as a youngster, he had increadable table manors. I know the dark side has some major effects on you, in a bad way, but Tarkin, ALWAYS polite, Stormtroopers, Always with the Sir, and such, I do not believe the dark side would have an influence on manors.

Now, to say a line like, "We would be hornored if you would join us" is a RUDE offer if not followed up by an actual dinner, or at the LEAST, drink offer.

Thats just from MY observations though. Mouthing off was swiftly delt with by Vader after that "hokey religion" line in EP IV, the guy has class. Show me a RUDE imperial ANYONE, and I will back down.
Old 05-11-05, 11:47 AM
Banned

Vader sat their, motionless, in agony has Han, Leia, and Lando scarfed down the most delicious food. Vader longed...he longed god damn it...for fish n' chips!!!
Old 05-11-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by FatHead316
Have to take you on here. Vader is many things, an emotional youngster, an unstable, obsessed Pat O'Brian type lover, a terrioist of the universe, and mostly, a mean, mean man. But clearly in episidoes I and II, as a youngster, he had increadable table manors. I know the dark side has some major effects on you, in a bad way, but Tarkin, ALWAYS polite, Stormtroopers, Always with the Sir, and such, I do not believe the dark side would have an influence on manors.

Now, to say a line like, "We would be hornored if you would join us" is a RUDE offer if not followed up by an actual dinner, or at the LEAST, drink offer.

Thats just from MY observations though. Mouthing off was swiftly delt with by Vader after that "hokey religion" line in EP IV, the guy has class. Show me a RUDE imperial ANYONE, and I will back down.
Classic!
Old 05-11-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Are there any female Jedis in the prequels? Perhaps Jedis have historically been men and Ben never considered it...so an "enlightened" Yoda brings up the idea of using Leia.
Old 05-11-05, 12:02 PM
Banned

No there's plenty of female jedi's:

Shaak Ti
Aayla (sp?)
Luminas something or nother

there's a lot, I just can't type or remember a lot of their names...ahh Mara Jade, there's an easy name I remember.
Old 05-11-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Maybe Kenobi doesn't know about Leia and it is Yoda who gives her to Bail Organa. Then ghost Obi-Wan finds out about her off screen in between ESB and ROTJ.
Old 05-11-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I sit corrected.

(Pat O'Brien type.. HA!)
Old 05-11-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
No there's plenty of female jedi's:

Shaak Ti
Shaak Ti

Some Shaak Ti photos without the costme and makeup

http://www.orlishoshan.com/index.html
Old 05-11-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why the hell doesn't CHewie get a medal at the end of ANH? That has always bothered me. He did as much as Solo did, if not more.
Old 05-11-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You guys are great. lol. I think the reason Chewy didnt get a medal is they were afraid he would chew on it and potentially choke. Maybe they thought "He is just a big walking crapet anyway no need for a medal, we will just give him a milk bone" Either that or they couldnt afford another one.
Old 05-11-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by uberjoe
I always thought they figured the rebellion would be crushed soon if a Jedi didn't step to the plate, and there wasn't enough time to train Leia. Or they knew Leia didn't have as much potential as Luke. Or Lucas thinks girls are icky.
or yoda knew he'd die before leia would find out she had potential
but even after decades of expanded universe time she still doesn't have much jedi training or ability
hell, at the point I stopped reading (right before the new jedi order) her kids were better trained than she was
Old 05-11-05, 07:15 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chanster
Why the hell doesn't CHewie get a medal at the end of ANH? That has always bothered me. He did as much as Solo did, if not more.
Equal rights to Wookies!
Old 05-11-05, 07:15 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BassDude
Shaak Ti

Some Shaak Ti photos without the costme and makeup

http://www.orlishoshan.com/index.html
Damn, these female Jedi's look a lot better out of costume.
Old 05-11-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Deadman31
Ok, I know this seems silly but it has been bothering me for quite some time.
The scene in ESB where Lando sells out Han and company. Lando takes Han, Leia and Chewbacca to a room where unknown to them Darth Vader is waiting. So the door opens, and the stunned trio sees Vader sitting at a table which is setup very formally. After trying and failing to sneak attack Vader, Vader says "We would be honored if you would join us" and the door shuts scene over. My question is did they actually sit down and have dinner and try to hash out their differences? Did Vader actually ever eat? I cant see him having gourmet meals considering he was more machine than man. Come to think of it, if I was Vader I would have been ticked off that my dinner guests tried to shoot me!
I think this is one of the funniest scenes in the OT, because Vader says such a smartass line to them. Like they have any other choice.
Old 05-11-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
Damn, these female Jedi's look a lot better out of costume.
The senators and queens look aiight too

Old 05-11-05, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Why would that bother you? 20+ years ago it was not obvious or defined.

I'm guessing you didn't see the movies as they were put out...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.