Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My DVD Player just stopped working... HELP

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the middle of watching Shaun of the Dead and the player (Sony DVP-NS300) just stopped. It the image paused and never recovered.

So I took out the disc, looked for dust/scratches... None. Put it back in, and... Nothing. "No Disc Found"

So I've tried 5-6 different discs (from different companies & formats) and the machine's not reading any of them. I even tried a Cleaning Disc and it would read it...

The player's about 2 years old or so. Any suggestions on what steps I should take, before getting out the hammer?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any error message?
Old 05-09-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope... It's acting like there's no disc.

After a couple seconds of searching a INSERT DISC message pops up.
Old 05-09-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm. Well, try this anyway. Not sure if it works for your generation. If you get into the service menu and it seems very different, you are taking chances on ruining the player. Of course, sounds like it may be ruined now, so up to you. This worked for my 360 model player, a generation or two before yours.

My Sony DVD player has a hidden menu that comes up when you hit THREE Remote Keys in the following order: Title button, Clear button, and Power button! However, the Sony DVD player MUST be in the STANDBY MODE in order for these remote keys to work!

Follow the steps below to perform an adjustment that may clear up lots of problems with your SONY DVD player.

1. Turn on your TV & go to the Video Input your DVD player is attached to. My DVD player is connected to "Video 1".
2. With the Sony DVD Player in Standby Mode, Hit the REMOTE buttons, A. Title button, B. Clear button, and C. Power button.
3. You should see a TEST MODE MENU. Go down to the Drive Auto Adjustment menu.
4. Under Drive Auto Adjustment, go to Adjustment Menu. Under the Adjustment Menu, you will see five adjustments:
0. ALL
1. DVD-SL (Means Single Layer DVD)
2. CD
3. DVD-DL (Means Dual Layer DVD)
4. SACD

5. Put a single-layer DVD in the player. (It helps to insert a DVD that you have been having problems with!) The screen will tell you to do the steps to make the ADJUSTMENT. DO THE STEPS EXACTLY AS SHOWN! If you make a mistake in the steps, just go back and redo it from the start. I did this adjustment a couple times and it MUST be done in exact order shown or it will NOT do the proper single-layer adjustment.

6. Put a Dual-Layer DVD that you may have had problems with in the player. Once again, follow the same exact steps as for a single-layer DVD.