Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Overnight 06.28.05 A companion to the Boondock Saints

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Overnight 06.28.05 A companion to the Boondock Saints

I know that there are many Boondock saints fans on this site, and thought I would post this as to not go under the radar. I have not seen the film myself, but have heard from people who have that it was painful to watch. Should be a good companion piece to the boondock saints, and something to talk about. So before this turns into the "I Love/Hate Boondock Saints" thread I will post places you can go for that...discuss, enjoy.

The Doc
Anyone see the documentary 'Overnight'?

Boondock DVD
Boondock Saints: SE!

the reviews section
Review wanted: Boondock Saints

The Sequel which has never come to pass
Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day

Doesn't seem to be a dvd review for boondock saints by Savant or any other reviewer on this site (that I could find). So get to work on that, and post a link.

From Davis DVD

The megalomaniacal rise and fall of filmmaker Troy Duffy is chronicled by one-time friends and colleagues in the lurid and revealing documentary Overnight. In 1996, the bartender was signed by Miramax president Harvey Weinstein to direct his killers-on-a-mission-from-God script "The Boondock Saints." He was given a $15 million budget, a recording contract and even a promise to buy the bar where he tended. Cameras followed Duffy's pre-production battles and out-of-control ego as he alienated everyone around him, resulting in Miramax pulling out of the production. This is a cautionary tale about how one director ultimately ruined a promising career that could have been from an overnight success.

The DVD, from ThinkFilm, arrives on June 28th with a 1.85 widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital Stereo audio track. Extras will include additional scenes, an alternate ending and cast bios. Retail is $29.99.
Old 04-28-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good stuff, can't wait to see it.
Old 04-28-05, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like Project Greenlight Zero. I hope I have the cash to pick it up, although I have seem some other Thinkfilm DVDs at the Hollywood Video PV section so I might just try my luck and wait a bit.
Old 04-28-05, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd heard of this documentary before, and I'd like to see it. It sounds interesting.
Old 04-28-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.moviemaze.de/media/trailer/1548.html

There's the trailer for anyone who's interested.
Old 04-28-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not to hijack this thread, but any of you guys know about this version: http://www.thedvdetective.com/Mercha...Category_Code= ?

Looks like a nice set of those region freers ... however, it's listed as "R" or 15 for it's native country and I'm not familiar with these ratings. Thanks in advance ...
Old 04-29-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Not to hijack this thread, but any of you guys know about this version: http://www.thedvdetective.com/Mercha...Category_Code= ?

Looks like a nice set of those region freers ... however, it's listed as "R" or 15 for it's native country and I'm not familiar with these ratings. Thanks in advance ...
do a search...there are several threads discussing boondock saints in other regions...try the international forum
Old 05-09-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For some reason, Netflix has this coming out tomorrow.
Old 05-09-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm gonna check this out. I missed it in theatres when it played.
Old 05-09-05, 03:09 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this.
Old 05-09-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigDan
For some reason, Netflix has this coming out tomorrow.
thats a pretty large advance...if you get it, tell us what you think
Old 05-15-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I got it from netflix yesterday and watched it last night. One thing I noticed was that the DVD menu had a netflix.com stamp on it, so maybe it's a netflix exclusive disc or something?

Anyway, the documentary was good...at making me hate Troy Duffy. I've never seen anyone so full of himself. Does a good job at letting you know why the guy hasn't worked in close to 7 years in Hollywood. Talk about burning bridges.

Anyway, it's worth a watch. Nothing groundbreaking, but you'll see what a complete asshole Duffy is.

= J
Old 05-15-05, 11:49 AM
Suspended

This was shown a while back at the L.A. Film Festival ... a big group of us went because we all knew Troy Duffy before he became "famous". Sad, sad, sad. We all knew he fucked up but never really knew to what extent. I run into Troy every now and again and he's still the same ....

This movie is a hoot though. This is a "How Not-To" for any aspiring filmmakers in the world ... check it out, this is definitely worth a view ...
Old 05-17-05, 12:21 AM

That's the general concensus, if you wanna hate the guy, check it out. He gets what's coming to him. If they could only make a film like this about EVERY filmmaker we don't like.
Old 05-19-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally watched the one I got from Netflix today. It was an interesting character portrait of Troy Duffy, but I would've liked to have known more about what was happening outside of Troy's life. Too much of the information came from titles on the screen rather than someone telling us.

I understand that the filmmakers didn't set out to make a documentary on the rise and fall of Troy Duffy and probably didn't have a whole lot to work with, but I just feel like it could've been more.

But overall, it was entertaining and worth the rental.
Old 06-24-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD talk review is up
Old 06-25-05, 12:09 AM

I hope this isn't a "threadcrap" but I can't describe i words how much I hated BS. The funny thing is that this is the only film I've ever seen that I've felt this strongly about. Usually even bad movies I can get something out of but BS was so bad in every possible way that it pissed me off like nothing else could. The only reason i watched it was due to it's IMdb rating. From the description it sounded like a movie I'd have enjoyed. I have seen parts of it on cable since and it's ever bit as bad as I thought it was. I am really looking forward to 'Overnight' as I remember the orignal story that came out about Miramax giving a picture deal to an unknown bartender..............