Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anakin Question (spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 09:40 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Anakin gets his legs/arm cut off... What happens to his Mitichlorian count (do they go down as a result of missing extremities)?
Old 04-28-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When Anakin gets his legs/arm cut off...
Worst. Thread. Title. Ever.

Last edited by chess; 04-28-05 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-28-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DO NOT POST SPOILERS IN THREAD TITLES!
Old 04-28-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In answer to your question... yes, it does go down. At least according to the books and stuff (and Lucas's own comments). How much of that is clear in the final film, I don't know.

That's the thing that I don't think people were expecting. They have always thought of Vader (in the suit) as a complete bad-ass. But when you watch the films I-VI in a row now, it's going to be clear that Anakin/Vader was a bad-ass *before* the suit. Now he has just has a fraction of his former powers, and is simply being kept alive by life support machines.
Old 04-28-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TwoDog
When Anakin gets his legs/arm cut off... What happens to his Mitichlorian count (do they go down as a result of missing extremities)?
Yes, and hence his inability to use "lightning"...or at least that's Lucas' story and he's sticking to it. It may have been his reason for bringing up midichlorians in the first place.
Old 04-28-05, 11:53 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speaking of which in ESB Vader stopped Han Solo's blaster shots, why didn't the Jedi use that skill in the prequels?
Old 04-28-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vader can't use lightning because he is mostly a machine, it would only hurt himself. He is also able to stop the blaster fire because he has robotic arms.
Old 04-28-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the original point of this thread was to spoiler all the people who didn't know about Anakin and thus ruin or whatever it for the fans by putting the spoiler in the original heading. I doubt the OP will post again and is probably laughing that no one was suspicious of a "cool new member" posting a spoiler-subject thread just before the movie is released.
Old 04-28-05, 12:05 PM
Retired

He joined in June 2000, so it's not like he signed up just to post that.

He probably just didn't think about it, and it's not a huge spoiler anyway as everyone knows that Vader was "more machine than man" and thus has to get seriously fucked up in ROTS.
Old 04-28-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah ,that makes sense. I didn't check his sign up date. well, I didn't know he lost his legs too, though.....
Old 04-28-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fok
Speaking of which in ESB Vader stopped Han Solo's blaster shots, why didn't the Jedi use that skill in the prequels?
Vader is deflecting the bolts with his robot arms -- not with the Force. It's a "suit thing" not a "Jedi thing". At least, that's my take on it.
Old 04-28-05, 12:15 PM
Retired

Mine as well, just uses the force to guide his robot arms in front of the blaster bolts. i.e. a robot couldn't do it due to not having force reflexes/senses.
Old 04-28-05, 01:10 PM
Cool New Member

Sorry to the forum readers for the Uninentional spoiler i put in the title - my mistake but not done on purpose I promise.
Old 04-28-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
yeah ,that makes sense. I didn't check his sign up date. well, I didn't know he lost his legs too, though.....

That's what happens when you are waste deep in lava.
Old 04-28-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mopower
Yeah, I hate when that happens.
Old 04-29-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Drop
Vader can't use lightning because he is mostly a machine, it would only hurt himself. He is also able to stop the blaster fire because he has robotic arms.

I heard it explained in the latest "Star Wars: ROTS Encyclopedia" book that Vader can't do lightning specifically because he lost part of his arms.
Old 04-29-05, 11:45 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Mopower
That's actually not how he loses his legs though...

Spoiler:
Obi-wan cuts his legs and arm off before he falls and the Lava and he leaves him for dead
Old 04-29-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
That's actually not how he loses his legs though...

Spoiler:
Obi-wan cuts his legs and arm off before he falls and the Lava and he leaves him for dead

Eh? Close enough.
Old 04-29-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
That's the thing that I don't think people were expecting. They have always thought of Vader (in the suit) as a complete bad-ass. But when you watch the films I-VI in a row now, it's going to be clear that Anakin/Vader was a bad-ass *before* the suit. Now he has just has a fraction of his former powers, and is simply being kept alive by life support machines.
Agreed. I think Vader has a very short "bad-ass" window...

Spoiler:
From the time he betrays Mace to the end of the Obi-Wan battle.
Old 04-29-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always thought that Lucas was just making up everything as he was going along, and that more or less fits with my observations.

With regard to force lightning, I just presumed that only a high-level force wielder (sounds very DDish, I know) could use it, but then become less and less physically adept - which is probably why in the OT we never see Yoda or Sidious use lightsabers. Darth Tyranus using it really surprised me, and Maul never used it so perhaps I was right.

Yes, Vader's suit is made out of Mandalorian armor, hence it is impervious to blaster shots. Also, when Luke "nicks" him in ESB with his saber, he doesn't penetrate his armor, it just bounces right off.

The concept of the lightsaber has also changed over time as well. In the behind the scenes supplement with the OT DVDs, Hamill says that the original idea for the lightsabers were for them to actually have weight, as opposed to be totally weightless as they are now.
Old 04-29-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Found it! See 'Data File'.

Old 04-30-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BassDude
Found it! See 'Data File'.

BassDude,
Is this from the new Episode III Visual Dictionary??? Thanks!
Old 04-30-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Flynn
BassDude,
Is this from the new Episode III Visual Dictionary??? Thanks!
Yeah, that's the book I was talking about in an earlier post.
Old 04-30-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That reminds me of another little factoid: the whole concept of the "Sith" and their Red lightsabers was kind of made up as they went along. The original duel between Obi-wan and Vader was supposed to have lightsabers of the same color, but they wanted the audience to distinguish between them easier, so they changed Vader's to red.
Old 04-30-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Superboy
That reminds me of another little factoid: the whole concept of the "Sith" and their Red lightsabers was kind of made up as they went along. The original duel between Obi-wan and Vader was supposed to have lightsabers of the same color, but they wanted the audience to distinguish between them easier, so they changed Vader's to red.
Also, in one of extras on one of the Star Wars dvds, I can't remember which one right now, Lucas was saying that he orignally wanted to give the impression that OWK's and Vader's Lightsabers and lightsabers in general were heavy two-handed weapons like huge broadswords. Broadswords take a lot of strength and two hands to wield. This whole thing of Jedis and others using Lightsabers with lightning speed as if the sabers were light weight well balanced Samurai swords obviously came along later on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.