Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Are dualdiscs copy protected?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the new Springsteen dualdisc CD and put it into my computer (iMac) to import it into iTunes, at which point the player just spat it out without recognizing it. Are these discs copy-protected or is it a compatibility issue? I know there's a little blurb on the back of the CD saying that due to the format it may not be compatible with all players, but I don't understand that. How would a player know or care what was on the other side of the disc? Is there something different about the way the CD side is recorded?
Old 04-27-05, 07:52 PM

On another forum I read about somebody having trouble ripping the new Springsteen. I don't think anybody was able to help him figure it out.

However, my sister bought the new Rob Thomas CD which is also a dual disc, and she ripped it using iTunes (on a PC) without any problem. So, I don't think the problem is connected to the dual disc issue. The Springsteen disc must have some other problem.
Old 04-29-05, 05:45 PM

I had problems ripping the CD using a Plextor drive in my PC.

The Pioneer Superdrive in my Mac G5 had no problems ripping it. Also no problems with the Mudvayne dual disc.

I had a problem playing The Donnas' dualdisc in my pioneer car cd player
Old 04-29-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Only thing I can think is that it loaded some sort of auto-loading crapware.

My guide to ripping any cd:
1. Turn off auto-load.
2. Turn off computer.
3. Load CD
4. Turn on computer.
5. Rip with EAC.

There's no "protected" CD that this won't work on.
Old 04-29-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ripped the new Springsteen DualDisc to my computer and then iPod using iTunes and a Hitachi CD-RW drive, no problem.
Old 04-29-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no problem ripping duel discs on my dell system. was a tad conserned but had no problem
Old 04-29-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had trouble ripping Simple Plan's latest "dualdisc" cd to my iPOD....i just got so fed up that i ended up paying for it again thru iTunes.

I just loaded Rob Thomas' new cd to my iPOD with no trouble at all....so go figure!
Old 04-29-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

C'mon people.

Let's get our terminology straight.

It's not a "dualdisc."

It's a fucking flipper.

Up yours, music industry. This is a format destined for Betamax-land.
Old 04-30-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grunter
C'mon people.

Let's get our terminology straight.

It's not a "dualdisc."

It's a fucking flipper.

Up yours, music industry. This is a format destined for Betamax-land.
We have our terminology perfectly straight, and DualDiscs are not "flippers." Flippers are two-sided DVDs that contain part of the movie on each side of the disc, and therefore must be flipped in order to see the entire film.

I don't see how anybody can get their shorts in a twist over a DualDisc, except for people who have an obsession with silkscreened artwork on their discs.

I'm quite happy with Bruce Springsteen's DualDisc. I have the entire album in stereo on one side, with the entire album remixed for surround sound on the other, plus videos of five of the songs being performed live, accompanied by interviews with Springsteen. And I paid a whopping $9.99 for it.

I guess some people can never be happy.
Old 04-30-05, 07:49 AM
Cool New Member

Well, I'm not happy. I never had a problem ripping CDs with iTunes with my new Dell system until I bought Chevelle's DualDisc. No program will even play the CD side of it. It keeps pausing over and over as it reads it. Yet the CD side plays fine in my car, etc. I'm considering ripping the DVD side and converting that to MP3. Man, what a pain. Screw dualdisc! We've been getting bonus DVDs for a while now. Why not just keep doing that?
Old 04-30-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't been able to rip the two DualDiscs I have (Mercy Me, Switchfoot). The computer won't even recognize the CD side (on a PC).
Old 04-30-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I don't see how anybody can get their shorts in a twist over a DualDisc,
Perhaps it's the fact that DD's don't work in every player?
Perhaps it's the fact thst Sony knowingly released a product that they KNEW wouldn't play in all cd players, and tried to cover their asses with a 'non-conforming' sticker...

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I'm quite happy with Bruce Springsteen's DualDisc. I have the entire album in stereo on one side, with the entire album remixed for surround sound on the other, plus videos of five of the songs being performed live, accompanied by interviews with Springsteen. And I paid a whopping $9.99 for it.
Well, I'm quite happy with the Canadian release of the album, with a separate cd and dvd, and I paid a whopping $9.99 CDN for it...

Why does it bother you that people are complaining about a disc that they are having problems with?
Old 04-30-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WillieTheShakes
Why does it bother you that people are complaining about a disc that they are having problems with?
My post was in direct response to grunter's complaint that DualDiscs are dual-sided. He wasn't complaining about technical problems. I didn't say anything about those posts.
Old 04-30-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I've tried to rip 3 different dualdiscs onto my Mac mini with no luck. I simply just don't buy them. If anything else comes out in only dualdisc format, I'd rather do without.
Old 04-30-05, 11:49 PM
Cool New Member

Well this is rather odd. One of my DVD-ROM drives doesn't even recognize the disc. However, the other one would try playing my Chevelle DD, and it would pause all the time and wouldn't rip. But for some reason, it works now. I'm ripping it in iTunes as I write. Weird!
Old 05-01-05, 07:54 AM

Dualdiscs are out of spec compared to normal Redbook CD's.
The discs are a bit thicker than normal Redbook CD's, making them unplayable on some players, and the layer itself is a bit thinner than normal Redbook, equally making them unplayable on some players (the laser isn't able to focus).
Old 05-01-05, 09:46 AM
Banned

I cannot get my damn disc to rip properly. I bought the Rob Thomas CD and it's just a mess. I'd love to listen to the damn thing but I can't even get it off of the CD side!
Old 05-03-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
God bless your soul , but fellows like you are the reason the music industry continues to ass rape the listening public .
was that really necessary? was that a take against simple plan or the dueldisc? can't that constitute a thread crap.
Old 05-03-05, 05:40 PM

I picked up Nine Inch Nail's With Teeth Dual Disc last night at midnight. The cd side will not play in my cd player, dvd player or computer. It finally ended up working in my car cd player. Everything was fine until I ejected the disc and the dvd side was all scratched up. Sign me up for the "Dual Discs suck" party. a CD + DVD set is much better.
Old 05-03-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
was that really necessary? was that a take against simple plan or the dueldisc? can't that constitute a thread crap.
Appeared to be a comment about the poster paying for the same album twice. Hopefully he took the dueldisc back.
Old 05-03-05, 08:03 PM
Retired

This thread had me nervous before picking up the new NIN dual disc which was my first purchase.

But no problems for me, plays fine in my car and all my cd and DVD players and I had no problems ripping it into i-tunes.

I'd still prefer seperate discs, if for no other reason that I could keep the DVD around the DVD player and the CD in the car with out having to waste a CD-R.
Old 05-27-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've not bought any dualdiscs yet. Was wondering if anyone owned them and had the same car cd player and dvd player that I have and to see if both work:

car cd player: PIONEER DEH P4700MP

dvd player: ONKYO 6-DISC (DV-CP702)

I prefer them just make it a 1 cd and 1 dvd set, but I would like to hear some of these cds on the enhanced dvd side.
Old 05-28-05, 12:58 PM

I got the DMB Stand Up dualdisc, and the only way I was able to ever "see" the disc in a computer was by putting it in a read-only CD drive at work. PC or Mac, it doesn't matter--I think the trick is to simply find a drive that ISN'T a CD- or DVD-burner (and good luck with that these days).

I personally think this sort of copy protection (I'm pretty sure that's what it is, and it's not just some accidental side effect) is absolute crap. It makes it damn near impossible for people to enjoy the music they paid for on their own computers and portable MP3 players, whereas it does nothing to stop the true pirates and bootleggers.
Old 05-28-05, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Duder
I got the DMB Stand Up dualdisc, and the only way I was able to ever "see" the disc in a computer was by putting it in a read-only CD drive at work. PC or Mac, it doesn't matter--I think the trick is to simply find a drive that ISN'T a CD- or DVD-burner (and good luck with that these days).

I personally think this sort of copy protection (I'm pretty sure that's what it is, and it's not just some accidental side effect) is absolute crap. It makes it damn near impossible for people to enjoy the music they paid for on their own computers and portable MP3 players, whereas it does nothing to stop the true pirates and bootleggers.
That's interesting. "Stand Up" is recognized and plays fine on everything I have, including the DVD and CD burners in my computer. I was able to burn a backup copy with absolutely no problem. I guess it depends on the make of burner.
Old 05-28-05, 10:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by jpdude
I had trouble ripping Simple Plan's latest "dualdisc" cd to my iPOD....i just got so fed up that i ended up paying for it again thru iTunes.

I just loaded Rob Thomas' new cd to my iPOD with no trouble at all....so go figure!

damn. thats like 20 bucks...for 1 simple plan cd...damn

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.